Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Exclamation MyCoupons up to their old tricks
    Yep it's true. I found they were posting one of our exclusives for Peapod on their site again and called them on it. Here's their response:

"...when Peapod writes me and asks me to remove the code I will remove it. Until then it stays.

MyCoupons is a community site. Users add codes and share with each other. They get the codes wherever they find them. When merchants contact us and ask us to remove codes we remove them, if sites ask us to remove their site from our crawler we do so. In this case, there is no crawler involved. This was a user submitted code and Peapod didnít ask us to remove it. As soon as they do, we will."

Time for everyone (especially Anne, Connie, and the Mikes) to check and see just how many codes they're stealing from us this time.

-- Todd
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; September 24th, 2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Per request
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Good point, Todd. We work hard to get the exclusive codes only to be stolen by sites of this sort and they do not even remove after you contacted them - that is highly questionable practice. Did you report this incident to the merchant or the network .. In some cases, reporting to your network rep can help!

I reported them to PeaPod and asked them to contact MyCoupons directly to have them remove the code. I figured I'd have more luck with them rather than contacting CJ!
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I've actually spotted an exclusive coupon from one site on their own (CJ) shopping/coupon site before. So I wouldn't expect them to do anything about it.

**I was just checking Pricerunner to see if they still have it and just noticed they have their own toolbar, must have missed that one. And I don't see them having another coupon sites coupon anymore.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmartini
    if sites ask us to remove their site from our crawler we do so.
    It's nice to hear they have a crawler that goes out out and rips off coupons from other sites. Are they asking those "sites" whether they want to be crawled in the first place?

MyCoupons' response to Todd's defamatory comment
    Although I would prefer to ignore the silliness that pretends to be serious discourse on this board, given the defamatory nature of Todd's post, I am forced to respond. Given the nature of the web and how long threads such as this one live on in search results, I have no choice but to set the record straight.

Todd stated as fact that " MyCoupons lowering the standard of ethics in the affiliate community since 1994!" This statement of fact is simply not true and appropriate action will be taken to defend our company against such falsehoods.

MyCoupons is a community driven site. Much of our content is contributed by our users, this includes posts to our Shopping Boards and the coupon codes displayed on our main site. We do not control these users, they are free to post and share with the members of our community. In this case MyCoupons did not post this code, it was posted by a user. I do not understand why this concept is so hard to understand.

When merchants contact us about a particular code being posted on our site and request removal, we remove it as we did in this case.

On a personal note, I find the posting of a private communication without my permission to be an action that clearly steps over if not an ethical line, at least a line that professionals would not cross. It may or may not be unethical depending on your own personal view of ethics, but it is certainly in very bad taste. In any case lesson learned, at least I know one person who will never receive another email response from me.

Quote Originally Posted by MyCoupons.com
    Todd stated as fact that " MyCoupons lowering the standard of ethics in the affiliate community since 1994!" This statement of fact is simply not true and appropriate action will be taken to defend our company against such falsehoods.
    Just out of curiosity, how long have you been lowering the standard of ethics in the affiliate community? Do you really consider crawling the sites of others for content ethical?

MyCoupons is a community driven site. Much of our content is contributed by our users, this includes posts to our Shopping Boards and the coupon codes displayed on our main site. We do not control these users, they are free to post and share with the members of our community. In this case MyCoupons did not post this code, it was posted by a user. I do not understand why this concept is so hard to understand.
    Not hard to understand at all. What you are basically saying is that your site is not moderated and it's easier to encourage users to engage in unethical practices that way. You now have a built in excuse "my user stole your coupon".

When merchants contact us about a particular code being posted on our site and request removal, we remove it as we did in this case.
    What about merchants that strictly prohibit the use of unauthorized codes? Waiting for a merchant to contact you to remove a code is like saying "Oh damn, we got caught, I guess we'll remove the code". I'm having a hard time seeing the ethics here.

On a personal note, I find the posting of a private communication without my permission to be an action that clearly steps over if not an ethical line, at least a line that professionals would not cross. It may or may not be unethical depending on your own personal view of ethics, but it is certainly in very bad taste. In any case lesson learned, at least I know one person who will never receive another email response from me.
    I agree that posting a personal e-mail may cross a line, especially when it is somewhat damning. I also find it very amusing that those that seem to exist on the other side of that line are the first to cry foul.

Face it, some of your practices are unethical and some clearly violate the merchants agreement. I find it very difficult to sympathize with you.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

If I went and posted links to my site on yours, you'd remove it, so what you're saying is you choose selective moderation, which just shows how unfriendly to merchants and other affiliates mycoupons.com is.

ABW Ambassador
    "In this case MyCoupons did not post this code, it was posted by a user. I do not understand why this concept is so hard to understand."

This has been gone over with you before about this. You are responsible for the content your users post on YOUR site, period. If you're a coupon site and decide to go that route, then you need to screen what gets posted. You're responsible for it. So pick somebody in your company to watch what codes get posted and stop using other sites exclusive coupon codes. And remove mine from your site while you're at.

Also curious about:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...0&page=2&pp=25

Are you still sending out your crawler to grab codes off of other peoples site?

I'm with Trust on this. You can't blame your users because it's your responsibility to moderate these codes. If a user posts a coupon code will it go up on the site immediately or do you have to approve it? While the latter is higher maintenance I don't see any other way to handle this situation. You might also want to add some filters to block codes that contain certain keywords. Some exclusives are easy to spot and can be automatically blocked.

If you don't moderate and screen coupons you'll end up in threads just like this. You can't say you didn't have it coming.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

All of my terms are trademarked, so they need to pay attention to trademark as well. So anyone who has coupons like:
    CleverMom, CleverMoms, CleverDads, or CleverBabies posted, kindly pull those down...

MyCoupons used to have TONS posted but they changed their format since my last visit, and I actually didn't see any ( but they aren't as easy to find). If anyone knows how to see them the old way ( in ABC order) please let me know and I will look again.

ABW Ambassador
    While you are at it, remove my exclusive codes (typically anything starting with REDTAG) is an exclusive code of ours. I see at least one of our exclusive codes on your site and I think there may well be others

Quote Originally Posted by MyCoupons.com
    Todd stated as fact that "MyCoupons..."
    Since it's obvious that you know something about the legal system Gregory, you should know that:

1) It was MY OPINION, not a statement of fact. If you check the slander laws you'll find that statements of opinion or pure opinion are not actionable. Free speech, which includes opinion, is protected by the First Amendment.

2) It was an attempt at humor.

Have a nice life...

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread