Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Mr. Jones & Alan - A River Runs Through It
    After the COMA marketing meeting yesterday, Mr. Jones was our guest for the night at our little ranch up here in the hills. We sat on the front deck with Ellen, jabbering and enjoying good conversation until 11:30. Then this morning we headed out so I could bring Jonesy to one of my favorite river stretches for a day of fishing.

The river was running very low and clear, so we had to work hard for the fish we caught. But it was well worth the work! Thought I'd share a couple pics of the day. Great day Mr. J - hopefully we can do it again this fall and camp at the river so we can take advantage of the morning and evening hatches!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Nice ranch in picturesque hills too!

Thanks Alan and Ellen for such an enjoyable evening - the barbeque and the half bottle of whiskey and vodka - well maybe not quite half. No wonder there was jabbering.

THat was the best trout fishing stretch I have ever encountered. While the water was somwhat low, the river was comfortable to fish, with a nice selection of fast water and slow water fishing. Ya, the fish were being a bit stubborn today but were valued more when caught - and released of course.

Look forward to next time Alan!

Looks as if you had a really good time.

Alan, I enjoy seeing you fishing pictures and your fishing stories
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Nice...... Glad you caught some fish too.

Geno

Mr. Hamilton:

Please C&D from posting these things. My fly rod has cob webs on it, and my kayak has been in dry dock for 2 months.

I guess I have a few years (well, 70 or so) to get my work done and be enjoying life such as you do these days. I'm sure you've paid your dues.

But in the mean time, you rubbing it in isn't helping me.

Beautiful stretch of water, by the way. Jerk.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I'm going fishing tomorrow, but the biggest thing in that particular pond is a grass carp. But, it's fishing and snoozing along a bank, so I'm not complaining!

Nice pics, BTW! That's what life is about, earn a living, but finding time to kick back and enjoy what's out there.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Wonderful pics. I'm picturing some of that in my future. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Wonderful pics. I'm picturing some of that in my future. :-)
    And you know that the invitation is always there whenever you get ready D. We'll bring the pop up camper, pontoon boats and become one with nature!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I want to fish with you...in Punta Gorda! I'll let you know when I find out if we will make it down there or not.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Jamie, we'll twist his arm together. Everyone knows that he hates to fish, but together, we can convince him. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jamieindigio
    I want to fish with you...in Punta Gorda! I'll let you know when I find out if we will make it down there or not.
    Ellen & I look forward to it Jamie. We'll have a blast on the water and then more blasts at Harpoon Harry's afterward! Let us know when you guys decide so Donuts and I can figure out how many Dr. Peppers we'll need!

I managed to get a hook stuck in my thumb just before starting to fish. Seriously, it went all the way in barb and all. I thought we would have to cut the thumb open to get it out because we couldn't pull it out with a tweezer thing. I mean it was really painful trying to pull it out.

So Alan has this technique where you loop a piece of line around the bend of a hook. I thought he was going to yank the hook out like a dentist pulls a tooth. I was cringing, ouch! So he loops the line around the bend of the hook and gently pulls on it. It came out effortlessly and painlessly.

By pulling the hook right on the bend, it must put the exact opposite force on the hook to the way it went in, so the barb had clearance to come out. Well, whatever the mechanics were, it's a nice technique to know when out fishing.

By lunch time, I had a few bites but didn't really land any trout. So Alan says he has to work with me right after lunch. He shows me how to mend the line in a flowing river. I knew about mending but had never really used it before.

The problem is that as the water current pulls the fly line downstream, most of the force of the water acts in the middle of the length of line. You see the line curving. But when it does this the pull of the line accelerates the fly and makes it look like the fly is going faster than the natural current. Trout know there's something wrong when the fly is moving faster than the water flow.

To compensate you flick the line upstream just as the line hits the water. This offers some slack to the line so the fly moves at a natural speed and is called mending.

About two minutes after Alan shows me how to mend, I caught my first trout of the day!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread