Affiliate Manager
    A New Merchant creatives question
    Hello all,

I have a new financial services program I am working to get launched on SAS, and wanted to get input on banner sizes. I am spending most of my time writing up Text Links right now as they have always been my best performers, but I wanted to find out what banner sizes people find the most useful?

In the past, I have always done the following:

120 x 90
    120 x 60
    125 x 125
    88 x 31

468 x 60

I assume I should add a 234 x 60, and most complimentary or competitive products in my space are running a 120 x 600.

When you are looking for creative, what do you grab the most often? Or should I just hit all 7 sizes and call it a day? Did I miss a common one?

My philosophy is to offer just about every size imaginable. You will never know which affiliate out there will be your most successful and what size banner they will want, so best to offer everything under the sun and let them choose what works for them.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Affiliate Manager
    Thank you sir. I was leaning that way as well and figured I would roll out the first few designs and see what was getting pull. But, I figured I should get some input to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

I realized I should have also asked for input on static vs dynamic. I tend to prefer static, but anyone like the dynamic stuff as well?

Definitely offer every size possible. For my program, text links are the best converters too. For my creatives, even though a lot of affiliates seem to be using our 125x125, the better converting ones are the 468x60. But I think this varies from program to program, depending on where the creative is placed and how catchy it is.

And as for static vs. dynamic. I won't overdo the dynamics. Most of my banners are static. I only do dynamics for 468x60 and some skyscrapers.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Gregg,

I don't know the details of your program (no link to your homepage in your profile), but you really can't go wrong if you heed Ron's (7Days) advice. Make a static and dynamic for each size and let your affiliates choose what works best for them.

Offer banners, text links, search boxes. Whatever you have on your site that you know converts, share it.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Oh, regarding dynamic, I created a whole set of sizes of dynamic banners for MetroUniforms.com and we are having some real good conversions with some of the sizes. However, as they are dynamic, please understand that you will need to make sure you update them regularly. There is nothing worse than affiliates finding out they put banners on their site that were supposed to be automatically updated that expired months ago.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I go with a good selection of 88 x 31 buttons (may merchants simply ignore them focusing on larger ones... I know you're not), try keep the animation at minimum, and stay open to affiliate requests of new banners (of any imaginable sizes)... Dynamic ones are also definitely the way to do it.

Geno

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hey all;
    I guess once again i go against the crowd. Since i dont do the banners inhouse but outsource for my programs I only offer the following to save the merchant money;

2 each for static and for dynamic.
    120 x 60
    125 x 125
    468 x 60

I do offer lots of Text links to diferente pages on the site and also offer discount banner for the discount coupon.

I have found that 85% of the affiliates use these sizes and i tell my affiliates if they need anything special to write me.

Text links convert better and offering loads of banners does no good as far as I can see (i have tried with one program).

More impotant is offer a data feed
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Well, how many text links are good? I have about 60 categories, with about 5-16 items in each. No one has requested more. I thought SaS had a page for affiliates to create their own?

Thanks, Juli
    www.YourDogStuff.com
    AdLib Promotional, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Juli - AdLib
    Well, how many text links are good? I have about 60 categories, with about 5-16 items in each.
    Ideally -- one per each category. If this isn't feasible, I would at least supply affiliates with text links to the categories that contain your bestselling products.

Quote Originally Posted by Juli - AdLib
    I thought SaS had a page for affiliates to create their own?
    This is true, but it's always easier for affiliates to just grab a readily-available code to a specific page/category than go through the whole website, putting together custom links.

Geno

Please don't confuse dynamic with animated. Dynamic banners are an excellent choice but, as 7-days pointed out, they must be kept updated and current to be effective. Minimize the animation in animated banners so as not to be annoying.

Gene
    TCS

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread