Headers too large......
    This is cut from the Cabelas thread, as I thought it could use its own page....

Quote Originally Posted by seven-link
    The links seem to be working for me now. The error that i was getting said something about the headers being too long and it mentioned cookies. I went ahead and cleard my cookies, history, and temp internet files and rebooted my computer and that worked. I was getting the error whether i was on my site or on other affiliate sites.

Anyways, all seems to be working fine for me now.
    This is VERY interesting.

I have had this happen about four times in the last two weeks with Performics merchants.

When it happens ( this header is too large thing) NOTHING on my site from Performics will work.... It is not pulling banners correctly all performics links will result in the same error message when clicking on them... I get the exact same error message with the header being too long.

My Performics merchants have worked fine for many years and I have done nothing new to my computer or site.

I have also had customers write with the complaint!

When I clean my cookies and reboot ( like the poster quoted), it is fixed. when i had my customers reboot it was fixed.

Is there something going on at Performics that could have made this happen recently? I am glad someone else has seen it as well.

Affiliate Network Rep
    This is a known behavior and we have a long term plan to fix this but it involves some pretty low level changes that won't be rolled out until some time next year. We have monitored for the occurrence of this phenomenon and have observed that it happens extremely infrequently, and most of this activity can be tested to publishers testing their own links.

Clearing your cookies should be sufficient for preventing the problem from recurring; you should not need to reboot. We've taken a few measures to minimize the chances of this occurring but it won't be completely eliminated until we roll out those changes some time next year.

Larry Adams
    Affiliate Product Manager

Thanks Larry! :0) I am glad you are aware of it, and have it in the queue to fix. That was pretty bizarre.

I've recently been experiencing this problem. After I click enough Performics links they just stop working. I clear my cookies and things are fine for a while. Not sure how many clicks it takes, but it's happened a few times in the past few weeks. I thought it was just my problem and I'm concerned to hear others are experiencing the same thing.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Perhaps we should keep track then. Larry is there a chance to move this up on the priority list? I have had customers write about it (two total) but I can't say for sure how many people are actually seeing it, because a small percentage of people actually report when they find dead links, they just surf on.

This started happening to me today when using IE. I thought something was wrong with that particular merchant, but found it was all Performics links. I tried in Firefox, and all worked fine.

Thing is, like Anne said, most site visitors will figure you have a dead link, and go somewhere else. Clearing cookies will not be something they think to do. And, site visitors have no idea about networks, and which merchants are with Performics, and which are with CJ, SAS, LS, etc. So, they just know it's a dead link, and maybe think it's dead on every site.....not that it's a problem with their system.

I second the wish to have this problem moved up the priority list.

Thanks

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    After being very discouraged with Peformics for the past couple of years, and seeing ALL of my peforming merchants there leave for other networks, I have recently joined some new Performics programs, and have begun adding their links. I find this EXTREMELY DISCOURAGING and feel that I have made a grevious error in relying on Peformics and these merchants. Fixing this SHOULD BE AN ABSOLUTE PRIORITY TO BE HANDLED IMMEDIATELY!!
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

This is happening to me today. So we're suppose to tell our visitors to clean their cookies? That won't work. Performics needs to make this problem a priority and fix it. Let me reword this. Until this becomes a priority I will have to stop promoting Performics merchants. How do I know if a visitor is seeing blanks where banners go? Getting dead links?? I can't believe!!!!!!!!! Performics is willing to lean on their elbows about this.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

bump :0)

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    the data suitcase is overflowing with too many extra dirty socks, so the porter won't check the bag...

and the nature of this collected data is...

Affiliate Manager
    Before I started the affiliate program, I did research about cookie duration.

I remeber there is a research about how many times the the cookie of major affiliate network will exist in visitor`s computer.

The Report shows that about 50% Cookie will be clear in 15days! 70% will be clear in 30 days.
    The report also shows a trend that the current anti-virus or anti-spy soft wares are deleting the Cookie automatically. Most heavy suffer will turn on the automatically-delete function.

The report is published by a university professor, your guys can google that.

Gump Kan
    DHgate Affiliate Team

Quote Originally Posted by big0707
    Before I started the affiliate program, I did research about cookie duration.

I remeber there is a research about how many times the the cookie of major affiliate network will exist in visitor`s computer.

The Report shows that about 50% Cookie will be clear in 15days! 70% will be clear in 30 days.
    The report also shows a trend that the current anti-virus or anti-spy soft wares are deleting the Cookie automatically. Most heavy suffer will turn on the automatically-delete function.

The report is published by a university professor, your guys can google that.

Gump Kan
    DHgate Affiliate Team
    Well that sure is intersting information, but sort of a different topic

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread