Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    If I Counted My Time Doing Aff Marketing...
    Based on the amount of time I put into affiliate marketing, you would think I would be doing half way decent by now. I am either spending way too much time doing the wrong things or not spending enough time doing the right things. In the end, it's just time wasted. After almost 2 years, my motivation is in the basement.

The time put in compared to the return coming back is just not there no matter how I try to massage it.

Yes, it's one of those days.

I can feel your pain. I feel the same way every day.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to say anything bad. This applies to everything you do, not just affiliate marketing. You can work hard all day long and not be productive.

There is a big difference between working hard and working smart. Tenacity can be a strength and a weakness. Sometime you need to know when to switch gears.

There have been many "7 Habits" type of books out there. I won't recommend a specific one, but one of those type books might help.

Every time I make significant progress in affiliate marketing, something knocks me back a few steps and I have to build my income back up. But I'm not giving up. AM is rarely a "job" for me as I really enjoy it (most of the time. LOL).

I find that when I feel like I'm not making any progress, I take a little time out for education. I try to figure out where my skills are lacking or what I need a refresher course in and do a little research and reading on the topic. Then I implement strategies based on that learning and I usually see some improvement.

Planning is huge. I used to have a million ideas at once, would register domains, start working on sites, and easily get overwhelmed due to lack of focus. All I had to show for it was dozens of half-finished websites. LOL. Lately, when I have an idea, I do a little research first, sketch out my ideas and organize them a bit, outline the site I want to make, and then fill it in.

Anyway, I feel your pain too, Seymour. Keep at it though. You'll get there.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    You don't want this to be too easy or there would not be any opportunity in it.

This is the same as any other business though. The majority don't make it unfortunately. The ones that do out work or out smart the others.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    You don't want this to be too easy or there would not be any opportunity in it.

This is the same as any other business though. The majority don't make it unfortunately. The ones that do out work or out smart the others.
    That's true. If it were really easy, everyone would be doing it.

So keep trying to out-work and out-smart your competitors (unless your competitor is ME! ).

Good luck, Seymour.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    The ones that do out work or out smart the others.
    ...and/or out-luck.

Success comes from some strange places sometimes. If you can, keep trying different things.

And if you haven't already, find someone you can confide in who knows the business and seek some specific feedback on what you're doing.

good luck.

Meanwhile the teen girl is making $70,000 a month. Arggggg!

I feel your pain, Seymour. I'm not quite sure what your doing, or how your doing it. just never give up. I know that story about the teenager making that money. i've seen there's a few teenage millionaires on myspace. that alone is great motivation if you ask me. if they can do it.....

i'd rather not get into what i'm doing or how i'm doing it..but i'm a full timer here....and i was in your postion before. slaving away at the computer, day and night. just keep at it, try new things. build on what works. you'll find your niche one day. why wouldn't you? the internet is too big a place not too!!

and where you get to where you want to go, believe me, you will never stop banging your head. this career we all choose or some of you are looking to get into: its stressful, frustrating. just comes with the territory..but i'm sure you know that already

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Meanwhile the teen girl is making $70,000 a month. Arggggg!
    Go to her page and she'll slip you a Trojan. AAAARrrrgggggggGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Seymour:

Everyone gets those down days every now and then especially if people around you are contributing to the negativity about affiliate marketing.

What are the other alternatives?

Rodney Dangerfield in Back To School was right: "The Real World stinks! Go back to your parents, let them worry about it."

My best philosophy in life: if you feel like doing something, do it; if you don't feel like it, don't do it -- but don't yell "Man overboard" if the ship is not sinking.
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 21st, 2007 at 09:19 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Go to her page and she'll slip you a Trojan. AAAARrrrgggggggGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!
    A condom or a virus? Geeeeze, nasty little 17 year-old girl either way!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    A condom or a virus? Geeeeze, nasty little 17 year-old girl either way!
    Well, I have an idea how she makes her money

I'm stuck with the Trojan-Downloader.JS.Psyme.nc plus a couple of other nasties and I'm trying to delete the damn thing

Zone Alarm "caught it" and said it was quarantined.

Webworker then made a suggestion: http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=12

Spyware Doctor (related to WW's post) looks like an interesting program but it costs $$ to work (i.e. delete/disinfect the nasties) -- I always feel like $$ is being asked for this and $$ is being asked for that -- people must think that money emanates from my lips as I speak.

I have zone alarm and spybot search & destroy -- how many programs does it take to delete the damned Trojan-Downloader.JS.Psyme.nc and any other nasties?

Right now I'm trying http://www.pandasecurity.com -- let's see how that goes.

Zone Alarm claimed that quarantine was all that was needed.
    Spybot Search & Destroy found 3 things & deleted them.
    Spyware Doctor found things but wants me to pay for yet another registration -- so upon the advice of a Trojan wiki I'm scanning my system with Panda.
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 21st, 2007 at 11:39 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Rhia7, it gets worse

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18123

Nice kid.

ABW Ambassador
    Well if you got that one - Virtumonde

That's the one that finally did me in and sped up me buying a new computer, I had a couple of threads about that one a few months ago. Somebody else PMed me about that one after reading my threads and had trouble getting rid of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Well, it looks as if I might have a fun-filled weekend ahead of me
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Well if you got that one - Virtumonde

That's the one that finally did me in and sped up me buying a new computer, I had a couple of threads about that one a few months ago. Somebody else PMed me about that one after reading my threads and had trouble getting rid of it too.
    Zone Alarm specified: Trojan-Downloader.JS.Psyme.nc

How do you know if it is Virtumonde?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Yes, it's one of those days.
    It could be worse

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=12
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

It's not about how much work you put in, it's how much heart you put in it.

The smartest/hardest decision is to know if/when to give up.

If you are unhappy with your results after doing it 2 years, and are not getting anywhere that makes you happy, maybe it's time to move on to something else.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    SeymourButts, I don't know how many sites you have, but have you put any of them up for a review here on ABW? You never know how it might help.

P.S. Will one more post get me into the mysterious "Inner Circle"?
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Tax Paying Member
    Seymour

Would you like to meet for a cold glass of lemonade??....Real sugar....None of that artificial stuff.

We could trade "war" stories.

PM me for a time and place.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Definately time to re-evaluate things.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Seymour,

You sound totally defeated in your last few threads. :-( Maybe time to let it go and come back refreshed and replenished with enough money to stay the course.

Definitely take Witzer up on his very kind and generous offer to meet and discuss things. This could prove invaluable as you assess what you might do differently or where you're doing things wrong and talking with a successful affiliate marketer should be enlightening and motivating.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Zone Alarm specified: Trojan-Downloader.JS.Psyme.nc

How do you know if it is Virtumonde?
    Looks like something else, you have the Psyme trojan. I would be running virus scans right now. Not sure what you have to do that, I have AVG free which is great and there are also free online scanners:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

Run those also, see if it helps.

ABW Ambassador
    SeymourButts I think this 17 year old girl story has kicked the stuffing out of a lot of us. I'm usually positive and optimistic, but a few cuss words came out of my mouth...especially when I heard the crap that's ending up on peoples computers.

But each month my income is growing and I'm progressing enough so that i can cut back on the safety income.

I suggest that you take a real honest look at your site. What kinds of products are you selling, have you invested in a keyword tool. I couldn't imagine building pages without that. Have you optimized your pages for phrases that folks are looking for? Contacted people to exchange links? Have you invested in a "seed site?" A site that has no afflinks, adsense, any monetization. It just sits at the center of the net gaining credibility. A link from this site will help get you traffic. But it takes a long time for it to work.

Just a few thoughts. I hope that things pick up for you.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh and something that Rhea posted a long time ago has stuck in my head. It goes something like this. That she didn't think people know just how many pages it takes for people to be successful and generate income. I am paraphrasing. But since that post I have added products and copy like a madwoman and it is working.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast