Scumbag is cloning a competitor site
    I was doing a routine google search for my site name and came across an e-lance type site where someone is asking for programmers to directly clone a main competitor of mine...with very few tweaks. (They just threw my site name in for extra reference on what our niche of websites should look like.) I used a "contact us" form at my competitor's site, told him all about the cloning issue and give him the link. After a week w/ no response, I assume that he either didn't get the message or that I'm too direct of a competitor for him to want to respond to.

It makes me sick that someone would be brazen enough to post in a fairly public forum that they want to directly clone someone's site. I'll assume that this falls into the unethical-but-legal category? Does anyone know?

I'm hope that SOB cloner guy has no idea what it takes to promote and maintain such a site to make it successful, so hopefully he's sending his money to India for nothing. Just wondering if there are any laws against what he's doing.
    Thanks!
    Sharon

I once found a job listing asking if somebody would copy my own site. The job description basically said "I want to copy this site" and listed all of my features. Didn't seem like it got any offers and the job eventually disappeared though. Probably just too much work for most programmers as it's taken me hundreds of hours to build.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Several people had responded with offers as low as $1500. And there is a LOT of functionality involved. Some even said that they are skilled at cloning sites. Their moms must be proud. *sigh*

I've had the exact same thing happen to me. You can contact the elance type site and they will remove the listing.

I found out exactly who the person was wanting to copy my site - they were a member of a forum I moderate.

I've had the same thing happen to me too. I don't know if anyone ever bid on it or anything though. I kinda forgot about it until now.

It seems there is always something on rentacoder for one of my sites. Some people don't like to come up with their own ideas, they just want to copy. We get a big laugh sometimes when people want copies but want to pay like $100. If only it could be that cheap to make a site.

Normally when they ask for a "clone" site they mean the script being used, and not all of the content of the site. Example there are TONS of youtube "clones" out there and requested on such sites, but that doesn't make it illegal and doesn't get you all of youtube's content.

It's somewhat hard to say given that most sites have features, and stylistics that were not developed in a vacuum but in tandem with web developments including study of other sites. For sure, for someone to have the approach of wishing to steal a site via a carbon (cf. other posts by flamingoworld) is super lame/unethical, but I'd think that attempting to describe a project to someone across the world via examples from existing sites is not necessarily unethical -- i.e. someone to say I want to have the top-notch price comparison ability of pricegrabber with the reviewing community akin to epinions and a color scheme along the lines of espn. Such a "for example..." way of communicating a project that (I assume) will be coded from the ground up would seem to be reasonable -- and was probably an element of helped the example site come to be in the first place.

I have had this too, and many others have had it happen too. So much scum, so little time to deal with them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    I have had this too, and many others have had it happen too. So much scum, so little time to deal with them all.
    Yes!

and like flamingo said, my site is pretty complex and would take a lot of time to re-create. My front-end looks like other sites, but it's the back-end stuff that really makes my site run well and easy.

Thanks for the responses. I guess the good news is that I learned how cheaply I can outsource development work to India. I "think" i'm being sarcastic. Not sure yet. lol.
    -Sharon

I outsourced stuff once to india, (not affiliate stuff), and won't do it again. The code worked, but was not scalable, or easily editable. I had it re-written within a month.
    It may work if you can get super-detailed design docs and coding standards, but by the time you get that, you could've just written it.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread