ABW Ambassador
    Questions on "cleaning" up code.
    Believe I've read on here, the less code you have, the better for the SERP? Plus it can speed load time.

Going with those to be true.. I'm trying to clean up some code. I'm using wordpress and a pre-created theme and working on making the theme do what I want it to. Finding some of the code I don't need (or think I don't). Although I have very little knowledge of PHP and CSS, so my thinking could be wrong.

First actually question, if I remove some code, save, then go and view the website, and nothing has changed, the code won't be missed? (I know that might seem obvious, but better safe than sorry, lol)

Some examples from the side bar:
    PHP Code:
    <?php if ( function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') && dynamic_sidebar() ) : else : ?>
    <?php endif; ?>
    Through process of elimination, I believe those two go together.. and guessing this is for the wordpress drag and drop sidebar feature? I'm coding my own, so figure it is safe to remove. Didn't effect the site.

PHP Code:
    <div style="clear:both;"></div
    And this ends the sidebar file.. no clue what it is for. Should I keep it? Removing it didn't seem to effect anything.

Basic newbie questions.. sorry, but so far I'm impressing myself with what I've figured out, so I don't feel dumb asking, LOL.

PHP, you wont miss it, the SEs wont miss it. No one/thing will miss it.

PHP is a server side language. The server executes that code then outputs it to the browser. You see the same thing the SEs see, and anyone else will see. Plain and simple. If it's no use visually (on your end, through your browser) then you dont need it.

The div I would keep. I won't get into browser/code differences, but I'm sure it's there for a reason. Look at it in IE, Firefox, Opera, etc. It's serving a purpose I'm sure.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    SEs love blogs so they seem to ignore bad code on them IMHO.

I would just worry about the post url titles, tagging them WP2.3 does that, and writing content once in a while.

In a month or two worry about the coding. It is a bit advanced and you can break your templates.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the replies.

And eeep, that's a good point mobilebadboy, I've only been viewing it with IE. I'll put that last part back in and use other browsers for viewing too.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread