Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Tested a link that has &afsrc=1 added to it and it does not work with Netscape 4.79 and higher. Works fine with IE though.

In netscape, it just shows the text of the link!

Is there a way around it?

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Which one of the parasites works on Netscape?

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

The problem is that the netscape links to do not load a page, they only load at text page. Like raw html.

~Michelle

I just went to someone's site I checked in IE with eBates, and in NS the links worked okay. If you want, you can PM me a URL and I'll check.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

~Michelle

This isn't the link itself - it's what the program/script/whatever at the other end is doing with it that's the problem.

A well behaved program should ignore anything that it doesn't recognise as one of it's standard options, but it's remotely possible that a site uses "afsrc" to pass it's own information and gets confused if it finds it set to "1".

It's more possible that the program is just not very tight on how it handles parameters like this - so the main thing would be to bring it to the attention of the merchant and see what they say.

The different IE/NS behaviour is probably becasue the program is returning non-standard output because of the afsrc part, and IE/NS are handling it differently.

Can you say here who it is?

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    Michelle, are you doing server side redirects? if not the afsrc isnt even needed/won't help...

Do you mean the actual page displayed is all html source?

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

Ok, here is how I have it set up.

For each merchant link, I have a seperate HTML file. So if it were bluewidgets, the url would be www.mine.com/bluewidgets.html

Within the bluewidgets.html is a redirect with the actual merchant link.

I added the &afsrc=1 to the links as an expirement a few weeks ago, and in fact my sales (on cj especially) have risen, even though I have been told that when using a redirect it makes no difference.

Hmmmm, guess I will have to strip them off if this is the case.

~Michelle

ABW Ambassador
    So now your links look like www.mine.com/bluewidgets.html&afsrc=1 ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>even though I have been told that when using a redirect it makes no difference.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Supposedly, that is when it DOES make a difference....

I am using server side redirects on some of my links too, for tracking..hmm.

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

yep, that is how my links look.

If you strip the &afsrc=1 off, they redirect just fine again. Put it on, and you get the html text of the bluewidget.html page. Stops it dead in its tracks and doesn't go on to the merchant page.

~Michelle

~Michelle

I don't know if this is going to clarify or confuse (it has that potential )

The code "&afsrc=1" assumes the link is going to a program, and that program already has parameters being passed to it. When this is the case, the program name is followed by "?", followed by pairs of parameter names and values, each of these pairs separated by "&".

With me so far? No? Don't blame you. An example:

bluewidgets.cgi is a program.

bluewidgets.cgi?page=help is a program being passed a parameter ("page") with the value "help".

bluewidgets.cgi?page=help&afsrc=1 is the same link being protected (hopefully) from a predator.

To cut to the chase, if you are using a link with no existing parameters being passed, you would add "?afsrc=1"

So to use your own redirects, you would link your customers to:

www.mine.com/bluewidgets.html?afsrc=1

Note the "?" instead of the "&"

It isn't common to pass parameters to an html page, but in my experience, adding "?afsrc=1" to these does serve to notify the predators to steer clear.

I don't know if this moves you forwards, certainly these kind of redirected links are where the afsrc addition should help.

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    Ack, Holy Crap! Good catch Crazy Guy!

I can't believe I typed www.mine.com/bluewidgets.html&afsrc=1 . Doh!

Adding &paramater with no ?paramater to a URL can definitely break things. At the least I don't think the parameters get passed correctly.

----
    -J

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyGuy™:
    Note the "?" instead of the "&"

It isn't common to pass parameters to an html page, but in my experience, adding "?afsrc=1" to these does serve to notify the predators to steer clear.

I don't know if this moves you forwards, certainly these kind of redirected links are where the afsrc addition should help.

Are you Crazy?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you!

That cured the problem. Ughhhh, now to go back and change thousands of links. *LOL*

Think I will eat dinner first. *G*

Thanks again!

~Michelle

Sorry for sounding like a noob but I haven't been around this forum for very long, and quite frankly, this seems to be one of the only places discussing this topic (at least that I know of).

Could you point me in the direction of where I can find out more about &afsrc=1.

If I add this to the end of my affiliate links it will chase away the pirates?

If that's what it is, does it work with cj?

Thanks,
    Brian

Compare prices and features of over 60 different web hosting plans.
    http://www.IceIsHot.com

Brian - some of the threads are mis-titled "affsrc=1" (extra "f") - so searching for that will pull some extra threads.

As they say, search is your friend - or "Find" as it is labelled here at ABW!

Using CJ, Linkshare, BeFree links shouldn't need this - the compliantish predators say they'll stay clear of them.

afsrc=1 is for times you're not using one-step links to those networks - like with redirects, click-trackers, database-held links etc - or if you're linking to a private program merchant who also has big-network predators on hs books.

Ideally, there should be no downside to adding afsrc=1, but we're not quite at the point of having that level of confidence yet I think.

Are you Crazy?

Hello All,

I so confused by the topic of "&afsrc=1"! Can someone please clear up some of these questions?

1) If an affiliate uses redirects to link to merchants (i.e. www.mydomain.com/amazonredir.html) why would it be necessary to add the "afsrc" parameter to that URL? To the parasites, that URL is completely foreign, therefore, parasites would have no way of knowing that it's an affiliate link. So why add the "afsrc" paramter to it?

2) Isn't it pssible that adding the "afsrc" parameter to a redirect (like above) that you could possibly be doing more harm than good? If you add the "afsrc" parameter, aren't you just "tipping off" the parasites by letting them know that you are an affilate and that the links on your site are affiliate links?

Just wondering...

1) Predatory software tends towards being "greedy". that is, it follows every click by the user to see where it might lead unless there is a specific rule telling it not to. But it's designed to follow (and apply rules to) user clicks so sometimes gets confused if these then turn into "mechanical" clicks.

2) See 1. The software isn't hunting for affiliate links - it's following any and every click the user makes to see if it can prey on it.

This mechanism is completely dependent upon the co-operation and observance of the predatory software controllers, therefore carries some uncertainty in the med/long term. But while they are playing ball - it works.

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    If the parasite follows each click, also mechanical ones, how can they find out on which sites they can prey on. If they reach a website on which are no aff. links . How long do they stay there. And how many bandwidth is neccessary to have enough agents to follow the customer. If e.g. 100.000 customers use this agent at once, what would happen to the servers of parasites?

carneol

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread