Question Awarding Loyalty points - Tracking sales..
    Our site will offer incentives on purchases through links off our site in the form of loyalty points. To implement this I must be able to track each sale so I know who to award points to when I get sales through. On other affiliate networks this is done by passing a tracking ID on each click through and receiving this back in the resulting sale details - Does anyone know how I can do this with Amazon (I know it must be possible because other "Reward" type sites such as Nectar offer this now). Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by robbd
    Our site will offer incentives on purchases through links off our site in the form of loyalty points. To implement this I must be able to track each sale so I know who to award points to when I get sales through. On other affiliate networks this is done by passing a tracking ID on each click through and receiving this back in the resulting sale details - Does anyone know how I can do this with Amazon (I know it must be possible because other "Reward" type sites such as Nectar offer this now). Thanks in advance...
    There are ways to do it, but just a friendly warning, what you are proposing is in violation of amazon associate's rules. They clearly state that you can't offer any incentives or rewards to encourage them to purchase. Now, I'm not a cop and believe every man has the right to make his own decision. I'm not advocating you giving the incentive, but I can tell you how to match a user to a particular order placed. So to answer your question:

You could use Google Analytics and do the following:

1. Define your goal, checkout page.
    2. After visitors login, or come to your site, make them redirect to something like domain.com/myaccount.php?user=usernamehere
    3. Using Google analytics, you can use the reverse goal feature and see the path that the person took to make their order. Follow this all the way back to their domain.com/myaccount.php?user=usernamehere page

I think that would achieve what you're trying to do so far as linking a user to a particular order goes, although you'd be walking a fine line if you continue to offer them incentives.

Hope this post was helpful.

Happy Selling!,
    AmazonDev

agree with Amazondev, their contract clearly states that there is no passback to the shopper, that is why they are not on any other loyalty site

Another Idea
    We have had the same problem. We don't track for point but for marketing campaigns. You can create up to 1500 tags (if you ask the right people). You just have to figure out how to track each tag back to a visitor on your site.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    There are ways to do it, but just a friendly warning, what you are proposing is in violation of amazon associate's rules. They clearly state that you can't offer any incentives or rewards to encourage them to purchase. Now, I'm not a cop and believe every man has the right to make his own decision. I'm not advocating you giving the incentive, but I can tell you how to match a user to a particular order placed. So to answer your question
    Wow. It's against the TOS but you don't have a problem with teaching this guy (and anyone else who reads the board) how to incentivize their Amazon links? Why would you do something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Wow. It's against the TOS but you don't have a problem with teaching this guy (and anyone else who reads the board) how to incentivize their Amazon links? Why would you do something like that?
    Being able to match users to orders has many legitimate uses, like sending a the buyer an email saying thank you for your order (which is quite professional), being able to track which users they should focus their marketing to, determining how frequently a shopper buys on your site, how long between each purchase. There's all sorts of fantastic uses for tracking a user's purchase. It's up to the website owner to be ethical with the data they have and to safeguard it according to the description of their security policy, privacy policy and terms of site usage.

All I did is show him how to match a particular user to an order, which is perfectly fine. In addition, I advised him to stay within the limits of the rules. I'd do that because I'm helping many people who would like to know the answer to the same question. Plus as an adult he is responsible for his own actions, who am I to say he shouldn't know how to do it.

Happy Selling!,
    AmazonDev

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonDev
    You could use Google Analytics and do the following:

1. Define your goal, checkout page.
    2. After visitors login, or come to your site, make them redirect to something like domain.com/myaccount.php?user=usernamehere
    3. Using Google analytics, you can use the reverse goal feature and see the path that the person took to make their order. Follow this all the way back to their domain.com/myaccount.php?user=usernamehere page

I think that would achieve what you're trying to do so far as linking a user to a particular order goes, although you'd be walking a fine line if you continue to offer them incentives.

Hope this post was helpful.

Happy Selling!,
    AmazonDev
    AmazonDev,

In this case all the conversion happens on Amazon's website. We cannot insert any Google Analytics code at that point. In this case how do we then find out which user bought the item?

Quote Originally Posted by inasisi
    AmazonDev,

In this case all the conversion happens on Amazon's website. We cannot insert any Google Analytics code at that point. In this case how do we then find out which user bought the item?
    This is answered in step #3 listed above. You establish who the user is before they begin the checkout with Amazon, so its not necessary to track it afterwards because you know it was a referred visitor. If you want to take it 2 steps further, you could:

1. Email yourself the contents of the cart along with the username at the time you refer them to Amazon.com

2. Cookie them with a cookie that says checkout complete as you send them to the checkout page, then on the next page request they make on your site, you can ask the user if they completed the checkout, or if there was an issue with the order. Thats easily done with a simply javascript prompt. If they advise of a problem, it would be an opportunity for you to engage the customer.

I hope this was a helpful response.

Happy Selling,
    AmazonDev

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread