Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Death of Marcel Marceau
    I am by no means a fan of mime (and I actually happen to know a mime), but the death of Marcel Marceau deserves to be publicized, as he was much more than "just" a mime.

He grew up in Strasbourg, France during the rise of the Nazis in Europe, and the Mangel (later Marceau) family fled to "safer" areas of France. His father, a Kosher butcher, later on was captured by the Nazis, and he died at the Auschwitz concentration camp.

As a teenager, Marcel, and his older brother Alain, joined the French Resistance, and he was responsible for saving the lives of countless children, both by forging documents to help them escape concentration camps, and later by helping transport children to Switzerland.

Near the end of WWII, he joined the Free French Forces and fought with US troops under Gen. Patton.

He often told interviewers that much of the sadness he portrayed in his characters was reflective of his early life, and the horrors he witnessed.

I cannot comment on his art (see the first sentence), that speaks for itself, but he had a small but important role in an infamous part of human history.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I would sum up my eulogy as follows:

and that comes from the heart.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

You stole my joke, Alan.

But thanks for the history lesson, AffHound. I'm a student of The War, and I was unaware of Marceau's involvement. So many people with so many stories in that time. It's tough to know them all.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    You stole my joke, Alan.

But thanks for the history lesson, AffHound. I'm a student of The War, and I was unaware of Marceau's involvement. So many people with so many stories in that time. It's tough to know them all.
    As is the case with the majority of people with my heritage, a large portion of my family was wiped out during that time period. The survivors of nazism needed incredible strengh to endure the horrors and bore the physical and emotional scars through the rest of their lives. Those such as Marceau who stayed and fought tyranny and fanaticism at their personal peril deserve to be recognized.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I agree. And as I mentioned previously, it's tough to get them all to recognize them. If only to consider the shear numbers of people involved directly at the time, much less the ones involved indirectly, or the ones affected for years after the fact.

I haven't seen any of Ken Burns "The War" yet, currently on PBS. I tend to wait till I have a bunch of shows like that DVRd, then watch them at once. I think it's more impactful that way.

Knowing Burns, I'm sure he will tell me things I haven't considered, and certainly share some stories I haven't heard.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    As is the case with the majority of people with my heritage, a large portion of my family was wiped out during that time period. The survivors of nazism needed incredible strengh to endure the horrors and bore the physical and emotional scars through the rest of their lives. Those such as Marceau who stayed and fought tyranny and fanaticism at their personal peril deserve to be recognized.
    Very true hound. I once saw a biography on Marceau. Quite a man - and quite a story. As a person who is married to a woman who had relatives perish in the Holocaust I can deeply appreciate his personal faith and struggles to stand up for his beliefs. (that was what I mimed in my first post, but you must have missed it).

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Several years back I saw him perform at a theater in Sun City, Arizona. Just Marceau, a few props and some music. The event center was sold out; the show lasted almost two hours. It was amazing to watch a single man have so much presence in person that without a word could hold an audience mesmerized. The physicality of the show, never mind his age at the time, was impressive and must have been exhausting.

The part I will always remember is this segment where he passes his hands over his face. With each swipe a distinct character and emotion would appear. Then disappear with a swipe to be replaced by another. He did this increasing in speed for a period of about five minutes. It was amazing. Even more so because I could see (feel) each distinct character from the middle section where I was at.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread