View Poll Results: Do you want more frequent payments? (And what size affiliate are you?)

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • No & I'm a small affiliate (under $1000 per month)

6 15.38%
  • Yes & I'm a small affiliate (under $1000 per month)

4 10.26%
  • No & I'm a mid-size affiliate ($1000 to $10k per month)

6 15.38%
  • Yes & I'm a mid-size affiliate ($1000 to $10k per month)

9 23.08%
  • No & I'm a super affiliate (Over $10k per month)

6 15.38%
  • Yes & I'm a super affiliate (Over $10k per month)

8 20.51%
    More Frequent Affiliate Payments?
    Affiliates, would you like to see the networks you work with offer more frequent payments? To break the results down based on affiliate size, choose the Yes or No answer with your current affiliate earnings level.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    MC? You think people are gonna reveal their earnings???

It's a private poll and they're pretty broad numbers.

The main reason I ask is to see if there's a difference in responses based on the size of affiliates. So far there is, but it's a very small sample so I'm not going to read anything into it yet.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

MC: It's an interesting question. Why do you ask exactly? You starting to think you'd like to get paid bi-weekly, like a working stiff?

I'm only half joking. It might be interesting if the networks did pay bi-weekly. And I see you thought this through by adding the "price breaks".

It would come at a cost to the networks, however. Payroll isn't cheap.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I'm asking because of developments from two different networks:

1) LinkShare just announced weekly payments.

2) At CJU, CJ said that they polled top affiliates and only a very small percent of them (3%???) wanted more frequent payments.

I just have a hard time picturing anybody not wanting more frequent payments. The one expection I can think of would be foreign affiliates who have a high cost associated with depositing US checks.

So far, 2/3rds of respondents would like more frequent payments.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Tax Paying Member
    Didn't I get an e-mail today stating that LinkShare is gona do payments on a weekly basis????

Addendum to post........MC types faster that I do.
    Last edited by Witzer; September 25th, 2007 at 12:05 AM.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    "I just have a hard time picturing anybody not wanting more frequent payments."

Depends on what you're talking about. Monthly, twice a month, weekly, daily......

I'm fine with once a month if it's on time every month - CJ, SAS

I'm fine with twice a month too - Performics, Linkshare prior to the new weekly payments.

Weekly is no big deal to me, might be to others. As far as Linkshare, they should work on getting payment from merchants a little faster if they wanted to speed up payment to affiliates. Some merchants just take their time with it.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I'm a small affiliate as far as Linkshare is concerned, but I wouldn't want more frequent payments from them regardless until they can improve the consistency of their pay system. It is hard enough now to figure out who has paid for what months and if I now have to divide the month into weeks, there is no way I can keep straight if I am being properly paid. And that my friends, may be Linkshare's real motive.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

I don't really care so much about frequency as long as payments are made according to schedule.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

$10k per month is a "super affiliate"? No, I don't make $10k/mo. these days, but I thought that was kinda funny. IMO that's still a small fish.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    My least favorite thing about AM is the bookkeeping. I like being paid once a month and would prefer not to be paid more frequently. More frequent payments would make the bookeeping even more of a chore than it is now.

Also I think it might encourage more "fly-by-night" affiliate activity by people who want to make a bundle fast and collect before the network/merchant realizes they've been scammed.

Another network in the UK has been paying twice a month for a while now. It certainly is useful.

I just have a hard time picturing anybody not wanting more frequent payments. The one expection I can think of would be foreign affiliates who have a high cost associated with depositing US checks
    Most would use direct deposit any how. Cheques are old skool!

It's interesting to see the results! It looks like over 50% of mid-tier and large affiliates would like the option, but only 20% of small affiliates.

Direct deposit isn't available in all countries, and even then there might be per-transaction fees. I can certainly see why some might not want faster payments. Any network offering it should certainly make it an option (or allow affiliates to set a minimum payment amount).

For those who don't like payments too frequently, you can always raise your minimum payment amount up closer to your average monthly earnings. For instance, if you normally make $5000 per month and you have a pretty normal distribution (some merchants $1000 or more, many merchants $10 or less, a few in between), you can set your minimum payment to $1000 and you'll only get paid on the weeks where the larger payments come through. The earnings will accumulate in the low weeks until you're pushed over the $1000 mark.

I totally agree about pushing LinkShare merchants to pay quicker. That's the biggest part of the delay in getting paid.

Also, there still should be some things that LinkShare can do to streamline things on their end. It still takes 4-5 days from "cutoff" through the time it's mailed or direct deposited. That should be 1 day, IMHO.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I find that cheaters love shorter payment cycles because they know getting caught doesn't hurt them as much - they love daily payments.

I also find that once a month is just fine for me.

I see no need for more frequent payments myself and I attach negatives to them being weekly or shorter than weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I find that cheaters love shorter payment cycles because they know getting caught doesn't hurt them as much - they love daily payments. . . . once a month is just fine . . .
    I agree.

Good point, but legitimate affiliates can have reasons for wanting more frequent and/or quicker payments as well. Let's not assume that just because some affiliates want more frequent payments that those affiliates are doing something wrong (and I know that's not what either one of you is saying).

Affiliate marketing has one of the longest Accounts Receivable cycles of any business. Even with CJ or SAS who pay on the 20th of the following month, that's really Net 35 (20-50 days after commissions are earned). With LinkShare, it's often closer to Net 50-100. Far better than back when I started (when many merchants paid quarterly, 2-3 months after the end of the quarter), but still longer than most businesses and far longer than employees (who usually get paid no more than 7-14 days after they earn the money).

I like getting my money as quick as possible because it guards against merchants who run into financial problems. I can't count how many times I've had a merchant go under (or just shut down their program) owing me 4-5 months (or more) in commissions.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I'm seeing higher performing PPC marketers asking for more frequent payments than anyone else. Once they use up their budget and credit limit for the month, they need the funds to refresh their campaigns.

Geofferson
    Last edited by geoffmarcy; September 25th, 2007 at 02:34 PM.
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]
    [URL=http://www.advaliant.com]www.advaliant.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.dna11.com]www.dna11.com[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffmarcy
    I'm seeing higher performing PPC marketers asking for more frequent payments than anyone else. Once they use up their budget and credit limit for the month, they need the funds to refresh their campaigns.

Geofferson
    As far as that and this thread was started because of Linkshare going weekly, they also want some real time or close to real time sales reporting which Linkshare is the only network that doesn't have that.

SAS pretty instant.

Performics pretty instant.

CJ within a couple of hours unless a batch merchant.

Linkshare, whenever the merchant sends in the data and other reports just once a day like click reporting.

Some LinkShare merchants I work with update hourly, and LinkShare has the functionality to accept transactions as frequently as every 15 minutes.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Some but I don't see most doing that. But if you were to rate them in real time sales reporting, Linkshare would be last. And then click reporting, once a day. I've seen a lot of big affiliates, lot of those who do PPC list that as one of the reasons they prefer CJ over Linkshare or the other networks over them. And also the length some Linkshare merchants take to pay Linkshare.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffmarcy
    Being one, I can tell you this isn't entirely true. The first month's risks are high, because the merchant has no payment history with you and you don't know where they might go, but once you've looped around once or twice (thru pay cycles), if you're high performing, the risks are very minor in the grand scheme of things. And if you're able to do this, you've got cash reserves. If your ppc guys are hitting their credit limits within a half month or less, there's a good chance you chose the wrong guys.

Arrangements can be made to escrow funds so there's almost no risk involved for the ppc manager, agency or even large ppc affiliate.

Folks like SAS bill the auto-deposit merchants almost as the sales happen - and the provide nearly real time status of the merchant's payment status. If LinkShare wants to blow my shorts off with a truly sweet move designed to aid affiliates, follow SAS's lead. As it is, the merchant's late payments are floated by their affs at LinkShare - since when do marketers also become the merchant's lender? In light of the fact that LinkShare does NOT act as an escrowing agent, I have very limited applause for their shortening of payments cycles - but the real risks of merchant non-payment have NOT been abated one iota with this move.

When I've worked with LS merchants, I've been as far out as 120 days - the reported payments the merchant made to LinkShare (the merchant had funds on deposit!!!) were shown to me as being 90 days out - that's LinkShare holding my money without providing me the security of escrowed funds agent. Which means I'm actually lending my comms to the merchant for a short time (~30 days, which is normal), then to the merchant for a while longer (~30 more days, because LS doesn't collect monies as fast as others). then I'm loaning it to LinkShare (~30 more days, cuz LS takes its sweet time distributing monies).

My feeling here is that without overhauling the other delays in the process, no real change is made. If the merchants don't pay earlier, and if LS sits on things just as long as they have (before admitting funds are available), the frequency of payments hardly changes anything. In fact, I could show you on paper how this could be timed to add 3 additional weeks of cash float to LinkShare's hold, if they were so inclined.

Some won't understand what I'm saying here... let's have an anology... aff drinks from a straw, LinkShare essentially pours into the glass from a pitcher, Merchant fills the pitcher from a keg... just because you can now suck on the straw every week, it doesn't follow that you get to drink what's yours faster... the key is keeping the glass full, it's not getting to suck on the straw.

And keep in mind there's a real difference between SAS's glass and LinkShare's... SAS's is real, they are holding deposited funds (when you use merchants on auto-deposit)... LinkShare's glass is a virtual one - there is no glass holding anything until the merchant pays, and those terms of payment are beyond the control and OBSERVATION of the affiliates.

At SAS, I can watch my balance rise from EVERY page of their SAS interface - that's the glass getting full. Anyone care to point out where I can find that in my LinkShare account?

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I find that cheaters love shorter payment cycles because they know getting caught doesn't hurt them as much - they love daily payments.

I also find that once a month is just fine for me.

I see no need for more frequent payments myself and I attach negatives to them being weekly or shorter than weekly.
    So True!! Whether it's weekly, bi-weekly or monthly should not matter if you are planning and budgeting responsibly.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

And the reports have been broken for some time now. So the virtual glass is now fogged as well.

Fix the reports, escrow the funds without delay and I'll sing their praises of bringing their payments up to the SAS standard - shoot, if they pay weekly, but collect and hold funds like SAS does, they will have surpassed SAS.

Until then, I see broken reports and a bunch of chatter and hype.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread