Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just given son a website - advice?
    15 year old son got a job 2 weeks ago at local pub doing menial stuff for a few hours one day a week. He's being exploited (no minimum wage for under 16's and they are only taking him because he's cheap) but claims he "needs" the money.

I'm not happy about it at all and so we have a compomise. He stops working there and I give him one of my sites for 6 months.

Currently it brings in about $150 a month on average. It's a site I know could do better but am too busy on other stuff to give it the attention it needs. The deal is if he just "spins the plates" and takes it no further then after 6 months I take it back. If he moves it on, then it's his for keeps.

Anyone else done anything like this? I'm shooting in the dark here so any advice would be appreciated!

ABW Ambassador
    Does he like the job at the local pub? Does he like working on websites, have any experience with it?

Online Marketing Consultant
    What a cool idea and dad! no advice but what a great thing to do for him in so many ways!
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

He is doing an IT course at school so has many of the skills. He knows the pub is a rip-off, but saw it as the only option, it's dull but bareable.

The site is deeply un-cool, but so is washing up at the pub and chopping veg in the restaurant. He's loading up the web authoring software at the moment.

ABW Ambassador
    If it's something he enjoys doing and prefers it over the pub, I think it's a great idea.

I'd echo Trust's comment about whether he has some interest in the website/marketing arena.

If so -- try to walk him through a systematic approach to getting started -- a mini business plan so to speak. e.g. have him look into the market segment served by the site (e.g. what is the outdoor sports equipment market like & who are the major players; what are the seasonal factors, etc.) as well as the competition at the affiliate level (finding other sites that have info on outdoor gear/etc. and have affiliate marketing links and assessing various items from style to layout to approaches to selling, etc.). Next, he could investigate avenues of marketing used and the time/costs involved in each. There are obviously other steps that should/could be taken, but the overall end result ought to be a well-thought through promotion strategy for the site -- and perhaps related niche sites that come to mind via the other analysis. If he's into it, this could be a really profitable exercise (in all nuances of the word)!!!
    Last edited by OTProf; September 25th, 2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling

I definitely like the idea of it becoming his only if he can make it grow. That's certainly good motivation.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Ironic! I just did the same thing!

I gave my 17 year old daughter one of my sites that I just don't have the time to devote to right now. It makes some cash already, but could do better with regular attention.

She is gonna dive into it this weekend.

Told her we would keep it all in my name until she turns 18 in a few months and if, at that time she wants to keep it, she can get her own aff accounts and switch over the links.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Cool deals all around, learn hard work and determination from the ground floor. Great ideas Paul and Michelle! Cudos!
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

haha that is such a cool idea. I wish my dad had thought of something like this. I wouldn't have been in pitch dark for so long (still am).

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Great idea Paul and Michelle! I think it's a perfect opportunity to teach them your business and let them feel the power of working independently and for themselves early.

I will try this with my older daughter who is currently working at Abercrombie. I call her an "Abercrombie b*tch" LOL - She's hating the horrid music and minimum wage BS but it's a job and she works with a bunch of hot guys so it's not all bad.

Pretty soon, they'll want to start their own sites with their own ideas. COOL! A new generation of affiliate marketers. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Part of me says "Awesome idea!" and part of me says "What about all the important stuff to be learned working with all the other underpaid 15 year olds in a crap crap crappy job?" That stuff builds character, right...?

Would both be an option?
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Paul, I love the idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Pretty soon, they'll want to start their own sites with their own ideas. COOL! A new generation of affiliate marketers. :-)
    ...and it'll be more natural to most of them than it is to the generations born in 50s-60s and early 70s. They have naturally learned about social networking, ideas-, images- and MP3-sharing. Those of them have any creative inclinations will most likely come up with ideas that those of us already working in it have not even thought about... Look at the Facebook idea, for example! Started by a 20-year-old just 3 years ago it is now worth $10bln+. Mind-blowing..............

Geno

I think letting the boy have someone at the pub, yet at the same time experiencing first hand how hard is it to make money, will help him appreciate web related businesses a little more help him stay focused.

I also think it's a great idea, but make sure he also uses forums like this to get a much faster grasp on the basics involved in creating a website into a cashcow.

I am sure there are many on here who would be willing to give him ongoing advice...

Are you going to allow him freedom with the site?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

This sounds like an excellent idea for you to do. My father actually had me do the same thing for him when I was 16 and put me in charge of a website he ran. I built it up to a chain of sites and sold helped him sell it off to another company a while later. It was a very great learning experience for me. Kudos for putting some trust in your kid and giving him a chance to shine.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Being a dad myself, and working with two of my sons now, I can well appreciate the intentions behind your concern for your son Paul. Giving to our children is our heart felt natural tendancy. Wanting the best for them is also a deep emotion that any good parent feels.

My 3 sons now range in age from 25 to 30 years of age. In their "formative" years I always tried to structure things using performance based thinking. It is easy for us to "give" our children opportunities. But we also need to be careful to insure that in the giving, they have responsibility, incentive, and an "earn your growth" understanding of the real world.

The menial pub labor your boy does is probably similar to many of the crud jobs that many of us had at that age. I had jobs that paid squat too. Though I disliked some of them, those jobs also taught me lessons about my young life, the "job" world, helped me identify better what I wanted from my life, and inspired me to dig in and progress myself into better opportunities.

Today I can honestly say that I am grateful that my father allowed me to experience these things rather than sheltering me from the realities of life for a young kid. We had no internet back then. In fact I think we were just getting into internal combustion engines at the time! LOL

Later in life, at the age of 18, he got the sales manager at their company to give me a shot at a sales territory in S. Cal. They brought me in on the condition that it was commission only + mileage. A tough way for an 18 yr old to start his career. Today I can look back and appreciate that the lessons I learned from the menial jobs I had prior to getting that performance based opportunity powered me to reach higher and push myself to get there. As a result, after less than two years I had increased volume in my territory by over 50% and was offered a promotion. All the while, I was also attending college, so I was a busy little guy. The self esteem, confidence, and sense of satisfaction this gave me benefitted me for the rest of my life.

One evening 12 years ago, dad and I were having a beer together one evening, (they didn't have Red Bull yet) and at one point we touched on the topic of that performace based sales job, and the low paying stuff I did before that chance came along. He told me that there were many times that he and mom thought I was being exploited because I was young. He explained that there were many times that he and mom wanted to step in, but ultimately they thought it important to my long term future that I experience the realities that would hopefully inspire me to want a better life.

The opportunity you are giving your boy is borne out of love, wanting the best for him, and not wanting him to have to work menial jobs. That's a wonderful intention. So too is the performance based ground rules you've included. The challenge as a parent is to hold to the terms of service, which life does without consideration of who it is or what we want for them. I think we call it "tough love" I wish the best for you and your boy in his new venture / opportunity and hope that one day the two of you will have a conversation like the one dad and I had 12 years ago.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Sounds like a great idea. After he learns what it's all about, I'd let him explore doing a site that interest him. I would have done it a little different.

To maintain an existing site where you make all the decisions, I would pay a salary.

To build a new site where he can test his own ideas, I'd let him keep it all. Make him pay for all expenses associated with it (hosting, Wordtracker, etc.). Give him advice, but not ideas.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Paul,

I feel for you! My son would rather (HAS) posted signs saying "I'll clean up your dog's poop for $3" rather then build pages.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Being a dad myself, and working with two of my sons now, I can well appreciate the intentions behind your concern for your son Paul. Giving to our children is our heart felt natural tendancy. Wanting the best for them is also a deep emotion that any good parent feels.

My 3 sons now range in age from 25 to 30 years of age. In their "formative" years I always tried to structure things using performance based thinking. It is easy for us to "give" our children opportunities. But we also need to be careful to insure that in the giving, they have responsibility, incentive, and an "earn your growth" understanding of the real world.

The menial pub labor your boy does is probably similar to many of the crud jobs that many of us had at that age. I had jobs that paid squat too. Though I disliked some of them, those jobs also taught me lessons about my young life, the "job" world, helped me identify better what I wanted from my life, and inspired me to dig in and progress myself into better opportunities.

Today I can honestly say that I am grateful that my father allowed me to experience these things rather than sheltering me from the realities of life for a young kid. We had no internet back then. In fact I think we were just getting into internal combustion engines at the time! LOL

Later in life, at the age of 18, he got the sales manager at their company to give me a shot at a sales territory in S. Cal. They brought me in on the condition that it was commission only + mileage. A tough way for an 18 yr old to start his career. Today I can look back and appreciate that the lessons I learned from the menial jobs I had prior to getting that performance based opportunity powered me to reach higher and push myself to get there. As a result, after less than two years I had increased volume in my territory by over 50% and was offered a promotion. All the while, I was also attending college, so I was a busy little guy. The self esteem, confidence, and sense of satisfaction this gave me benefitted me for the rest of my life.

One evening 12 years ago, dad and I were having a beer together one evening, (they didn't have Red Bull yet) and at one point we touched on the topic of that performace based sales job, and the low paying stuff I did before that chance came along. He told me that there were many times that he and mom thought I was being exploited because I was young. He explained that there were many times that he and mom wanted to step in, but ultimately they thought it important to my long term future that I experience the realities that would hopefully inspire me to want a better life.

The opportunity you are giving your boy is borne out of love, wanting the best for him, and not wanting him to have to work menial jobs. That's a wonderful intention. So too is the performance based ground rules you've included. The challenge as a parent is to hold to the terms of service, which life does without consideration of who it is or what we want for them. I think we call it "tough love" I wish the best for you and your boy in his new venture / opportunity and hope that one day the two of you will have a conversation like the one dad and I had 12 years ago.
    Alan,

As a father myself, I would like to nominate this post for one of the best "family themed" posts on ABW for 2007. Non-fathers may or may not understand, but your expereince and wisdom in life have shown through on this post. Your sons and everyone around you should feel fortunate to be touched by your words of wisdom, I for one am ... thank you Sir ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

I was just going to suggest the same thing, Andy. Alan's post is probably the best thing I've read on parenting in several years, and by far the best post I've read on ABW this year (and there have been some good ones). Alan's father was a very wise man, and it looks like a lot of that filtered down to Alan.

I just printed Alan's post out and will be re-reading it regularly.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thank you too AR... I'm sure your own childhood can relate to the value of letting our children experience life's lessons while we guide them along the course...
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I was just going to suggest the same thing, Andy. Alan's post is probably the best thing I've read on parenting in several years, and by far the best post I've read on ABW this year (and there have been some good ones). Alan's father was a very wise man, and it looks like a lot of that filtered down to Alan.

I just printed Alan's post out and will be re-reading it regularly.
    Michael,

Thank you for your very kind words about my dad. He was the most special friend, teacher and life supporter I will ever know. I know that you are a great dad with limitless love for your family too - so your words are taken to heart my friend... (place a smiley emoticon here)

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Why not get him started from scratch on his own website about a topic that he's interested in?
    Since you know how to do all this, I'm sure it would start making money in a short time. Even if no one buys from an affiliate link, there is always Adsense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast