Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Got this this morning from Monster.

Here's my question, does a company really believe they are going to attract the right person for this type of job for 55k a year (actually it was 40-55k range based upon experience)?

This is a huge responsibility for a company of this size, no? Baffling to me.

-----------------

HSN.com is a fast-growing online retailer backed by the world's most widely distributed television shopping network. Over one million customers have shopped with HSN.com, and we’re looking for highly motivated, results oriented candidates to help grow this dynamic business even more. HSN.com is a profitable, stable internet retailer and part of the USAi family of successful companies such as Match.com, TicketMaster, Expedia and Hotels.com.

The Affiliate Marketing Manager manages and markets the HSN.com Affiliate Program, the company’s single most successful marketing vehicle. As a critical part of hsn.com’s online marketing strategy, the program’s goals are to build sales and to acquire new customers. He or she is responsible for the day-to-day management of the program as well as the management of HSN.com’s outsourced affiliate marketing vendor. He or she supervises a dedicated Affiliate Coordinator. The Marketing Manager reports to the Director, Online Marketing.

Description of Duties:
    Manage overall affiliate strategy
    Supervise the affiliate management vendor
    Report program financials
    Individually manage relationships of top performing affiliates
    Design and implement promotions and incentives for key affiliates
    Work closely with HSN.com merchants to support existing promotions
    Negotiate contractual terms with prospects
    Manage technical requests with HSN.com IT team
    Perform traffic, sales, and cost analyses
    Manage and verify commission payments to affiliate marketing vendor
    Ensure compliance regarding branding issues/laws
    Work with the Creative Department and have the ability to manage a project through completion

Candidate Requirements:
    BA/BS in Marketing or related discipline.
    Minimum of 3 years of on-line marketing experience
    Must be an experienced negotiator
    Strong MS Office, communication and organizational skills.
    Must have in-depth knowledge regarding online Affiliate Marketing/Sales
    Have an understanding of and be able to communicate about CPC, CPM, CPA

....................................................................................................................................................................
    Contact Information :.
    dotcomjobs@hsn.net
    HSN (Home Shopping Network)
    St. Petersburg FL

Click here to see all "Home Shopping Network" opportunities
    EMAIL THIS JOB TO A FRIEND
    Learn more about "Home Shopping Network"

"I want to make you more money with a professional and low cost web design. Let's chat."

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The Affiliate Marketing Manager manages and markets the HSN.com Affiliate Program, the company’s single most successful marketing vehicle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's amazing that they would proclaim that it's the company's single most successful marketing vehicle (for a pretty big company), and yet, they are not willing to put out the money for the best candidate.

As I mentioned in the "Affiliate Managers Only" forum, "13% of the affiliate managers surveyed (for the AttStat 2003 Report) are earning $120k or more annually."

If HSN.com won't even pay half of that, they might find that their new affiliate manager is not able to maintain the program their most successful marketing vehicle.

Caveat emptor, HSN.com!

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom, Inc.

Affiliate managers - get the AffStat 2003 Report at http://www.affstat.com/ for affiliate marketing benchmarks, resources, and best practices.

I have noticed this job before, earlier this past Fall. I wonder if they hired, then had to look again, or if they still haven't found anyone from the original job posting.......

Lizabeth Cole
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    GiveAnything.com
    Gift Certificates
    518-426-0909
    liz@giveanything.com

Speechless . .

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ 365 DAY COOKIE ~ GREAT CONVERSION ~ LOW REVERSAL RATE

I noticed that too Shawn, forgot to mention it.

They're willing to pay the single most important person at thier company in regards to sales and marketing a rate like this? Pathetic and Sad! Patheti-sad!

I honestly bet you that the head janitor at HSN headquarters makes half that at least, or more!

"I want to make you more money with a professional and low cost web design. Let's chat."

So, here's a question for you: are you all getting paid flat salaries? I think it makes sense for AMs to be paid on performance.

Maybe for the security of a guaranteed rate, a lower salary is worth it, to some people.

Not to me(!), but maybe to some people.

(And are you all really making so much that 55k is so much something to just sniff at?!)

-----

Tom Dalton
    (801) 802-9500
    tom_at_10xmarketing.com
    Franklin Covey Affiliate Manager

http://www.10xmarketing.com/franklincovey

ABW Ambassador
    It is quite low but there are a few factors you have to remember:

1. Incentive bonuses based on affiliate performance could be quite lucrative?

2. St Petersburg is a low, quite low cost of living area unless you are living right on the beach.

When I used to work for someone else this might have had my interest, being an affiliate the money is far from worth it.

Tom -

I have a performance component built into my salary to determine my bonus (or lack thereof), depending on my performance.

For anybody that does not currently have a performance component, I'd suggest asking for it.

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom, Inc.

Affiliate managers - get the AffStat 2003 Report at http://www.affstat.com/ for affiliate marketing benchmarks, resources, and best practices.

I am certainly not sniffing.

Yes it is good to have performance based commissions within your package. It only makes sense.

However, it is also important to be viewed as an integral part of the marketing team, and paid as if you were "head of a department" as many of us are, or one of a few people in an E-Commerce department.

This salary from HSN may seem "low to some people, but there are probably some pretty great benefits from HSN too. Salary isn't everything, alot can be said for Health and 401K, especially these days when those are so hard to come across.

Lizabeth Cole
    GiveAnything.com
    Gift Certificates
    518-426-0909
    liz@giveanything.com

They may look for an AM from outsite the United States. You can have a very luxurious life in India with this Salary .

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net
    Sign-up for our Affiliate Program
    http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=2123

If you can't move things, try harder!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Heck, I'd jump at it, as a first step, and either negotiate a better salary later, or move on after a couple years to a higher level position.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

Wow, thats low. I took a big pay cut to move from San Francisco to Washington but I would never consider a salary like that!

Mark Mitford
    Sales Director
    Dotster, Inc
    http://www.dotster.com/
    15% Commission - 90 day cookie - 0% reversals

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Add another 40% to convert to Canadian Dollars it looks OK
    Wish as a rep and all the travelling I have to do, a cheque every two weeks and little travel would sound kinda nice at times.
    OK I woke up now, sorry I dont want to answer to a boss agan.
    WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

As I mentioned in the "Affiliate Managers Only" forum, "13% of the affiliate managers surveyed (for the AttStat 2003 Report) are earning $120k or more annually."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, yes, the 10 % or so making 90% of highest incomes.
    But where do the other 83% rate?
    For some the rate of pay may well be suitable to start
    ww

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They may look for an AM from outsite the United States. You can have a very luxurious life in India with this Salary .

Carsten
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah! A very luxurious Life indeed, but I can make much more than that as an affiliate, why'd I do a j*b in the same industry and make less money!

I think AMs should get paid in the same manner the networks are paid, example: 20% of what the company pays to it's affiliates.

To be fair the Tampa/St Petersburg area is a very cheap area to live in. I have a friend who rents a 1-acre, 5 bedroom house with pool for $1,000. You will never get a space like that in DC, NY, etc.

$55K will make a good living in Tampa...

Marifer Vergara
    Affiliate Manager
    Catalogs.com
    The #1 Source for FREE Catalogs!!
    http://www.catalogs.com
    AOL: Marifer006
    MSN: NanaVergara
    Yahoo: maria_maria_s

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carsten, Shop-Links:
    They may look for an AM from outsite the United States. You can have a very luxurious life in India with this Salary .
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly!

ABW Ambassador
    If this is typical, it could explain some of these assclown AM's ....

A performance bonus/incentive is good, but, if its purely based on amount of sales through the affiliate channel, I worry that that encourages the state we have today with many parasite loving AM's.... or to be more precise, short term minded AM's who only care about the amount of sales generated, not, how they were generated.

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think AMs should get paid in the same manner the networks are paid, example: 20% of what the company pays to it's affiliates.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That could be fair, so long as there is a minimum, as there is with some of the networks.

Otherwise, the affiliate manager might have to panhandle from launch until their program gets some momentum.

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marifer-Catalogs.com:
    To be fair the Tampa/St Petersburg area is a very cheap area to live in. I have a friend who rents a 1-acre, 5 bedroom house with pool for $1,000. You will never get a space like that in DC, NY, etc.

$55K will make a good living in Tampa...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$55k is a decent living in Nebraska. Median Family Income for Omaha is something like $33k and Lincoln is $31k.

Here in Albany, NY, if your Family Income is $33K, you qualify for food stamps and WIC...

Not Kidding.

Lizabeth Cole
    GiveAnything.com
    Gift Certificates
    518-426-0909
    liz@giveanything.com

I see the numbers in my head and I wonder further. What is your worth and perceived value based upon the ROI for your company?

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/article/default.aspx?aid=14

HSN 2001 Sales
    Exceeded $1.93 billion

Ok, let's do some assuming.

Assume they did 2.2 billion in 2002.
    Assume that 99% was done on TV sales, leaving 1% of 2.2 billion sold through affiliate channels.

These are huge assumptions, but I think fairly weighted to conservative figures. Especially since they consider their affiliate sales channel thier single most successful marketing vehicle. (Which I doubt, but we have to presume this is overstative a bit sine TV has to be #1 right?)

1% of 2.2 billion is 2.2 million? (I'm math impaired)

So, even if thier most successful marketing vehicle only did 2.2 million last year, is it fair to pay the manager of that program 40k a year? Maybe, maybe not. Of course it depends on if that success is related to that person's efforts. For now, let's assume that the AM is working 14 hours a day and is directly responsible for that sales growth.

Maybe I'm naive, but if I'm responsible for bringing in a large percentage of my company's profit base by my actions/job, I certainly expect to be compensated accordingly.

Heck, even sales people can make up to 15% commission, just like an affiliate. What's the difference?

In a nutshell, I guess what I'm learning is that this business is still in its infancy when it comes to proper credit and compensation for AM's.

Sadly, it appears that either:

A. The people who write the AM checks know they have a good thing going by not having to pay a good person accordingly.

or

B. Only the companies who achieved great success and have had it proven to them are willing to pay. The industry is not publicized and hasn't been written up enough in fluffy ceo magazines for the boss man to sit up and notice.

I'm just rambling thoughts.

Sure, 55k is nothing to shake a stick at, but the compensation next to the profit burst under assumed numbers seems low.

To be fair, there should be either a high base salary or a saleman type commission/performance structure in place as others have mentioned. At least that's how I see it, but I'm no CEO

Salary plus performance is the best way to go

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

ABW Ambassador
    A lot of people would be very happy to earn $55K. Whether or not the figure is low for an affiliate managers position, it is more than a little insulting for you lot to start boasting about your huge incomes. People with any kind of class don't talk about their salary.

Affiliate managers may be paid $100K a year or whatever - how many actually EARN it.

Now go and do some f***ing work and stop trying to show off. Pathetic.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast