Question ground floor: yay or nay?
    I currently use cj, sas, ls, and kolimbo (well, i'm registered w/kolimbo...).

Recently, I had an email conversation with the AM of one of my merchants (who runs an in-house affiliate program) in which he told me he was impressed by my stats (I'm a newbie with fairly decent conversions).

Very soon after (we're talking minutes after), I was contacted by another guy with the same last name, who told me that he was starting his own affiliate network. At the time, he told me that he didn't have any tracking interface in place that would allow me to track my stats, but assured me that he has negotiated higher payouts from the merchants that I currently promote. (Some 25% higher, some as much as 75% higher.) I told him that I wasn't interested, since I kinda like seeing my numbers.

Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway... so NOW, I got an email from the aforementioned AM, who tells me he's leaving his position as AM for Merchant X, and will be working with NewAffliateNetwork Y (which now has their tracking interface in place). He encouraged me to go to this new affiliate network, and drop my affiliateship (affiliatehood?) (affiliateocity?) with the cj merchants that I promote. (He just now -- 10 seconds ago -- told me that the network is run by his brother.)

I don't know if it's okay to mention the name of the network or the AM... let me know if i can, so I can see if anyone knows anything about either of them.

SO -- my questions:

1) Does this sound legit?

2) Is it a good idea to get in on the ground floor, so to speak, with a hatchling affliate network?

3) If it's officially autumn, why the cheese is it still 95 degrees over here? (Okay... you don't have to answer that one....)

Exclamation
    forum search: CPA networks

crazy,

Caveat Affiliatus! Let the affiliate beware.

As a self proclaimed "newbie" I'd rather you build establish yourself with the known networks as you build up a base of earnings and knowledge before you swim with the definite uncertainties of a new network which will probably have secondary or tertiary level offers, not to mention the possibility of questionable affiliates or affiliates who engage in questionable marketing tactics which would only result in lost sales.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It's probably safe to assume the AM has a non-compete clause in his/her contract with the merchant. Where does that leave you if the merchant and AM get into it, legally?

I dunno, but I'd be wondering.

I'd be very concerned about the ethics of the new organization and of the 2 brothers. It's obvious that the AM brother passed information to NewAffliateNetwork brother while still working for Merchant X. While he may or may not have had a non-compete in place I really have to question the ethics of recruiting his employer's affiliates.

If he is so willing to cheat his former employer while still working for him what are the chances that you won't be cheated also?

JMHO.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I agree that there are clearly some ethical problems with the principals of this new venture you're talking about.

Even if the affiliate manager got his employer's permission to share affiliate data with his brother (unlikely as that seems), and even if the merchant's affiliate program terms or privacy policy didn't preclude such sharing (which it might or might not), I am uncomfortable with having my contact information "traded" among merchants and networks.

Another story from the early days of the industry: In 1998 or 1999, a well-funded category-founding new online merchant solicited thousands of affiliates, using an affiliate list that had been stolen by a consultant who had done work for BeFree. When I received my solicitations, I saw that one of them came to an email address that I'd specially created exclusively to test the affiliate-program signup process for a client; that account was closed immediately, and the email address had never actually been used to send or receive email, until I received the solicitation from this new merchant. I called my client and the network; within 48 hours, the "large new merchant" had CLOSED its affiliate program and agreed not to accept ANY new affiliates or operate any type of affiliate program for a period of 90 days. That large merchant didn't survive the year, although it's unclear whether this particular unethical action or its consequences were major contributions to the failure. Despite my advice, neither BeFree nor my client was willing to report or assist in prosecuting this criminal theft of its most valuable proprietary data; they wanted to conceal their own security lapses.

It got weirder: At an industry conference several months later, there was a panel with representatives from each of the major affiliate networks; during the Q&A session, I briefly described this incident without naming any names, and asked for a response to this type of security breach. The BeFree representative claimed that nothing like this had ever happened at their company (an outright lie). To my astonishment, the LinkShare rep (I think it was Heidi Messer) "admitted" that I was talking about LinkShare (though I was not), and acknowledged a security breach, saying they had taken action to prevent a re-occurrence. One other panel member (I forget who) also acknowledged a similar incident in which their affiliate data had been compromised. So, at least three of the four affiliate-network firms represented on that panel had affiliate data stolen.

What a track record this industry has!

Thank you one and all for your insightful responses. I agree that it's all rather shady-seeming.

Hubby (Mr. Crazy) hit it on the head when he said that I should have listened to my gut weeks ago when the AM's brother contacted me minutes after AM and I had a long email exchange.

Herb: Thanks for the suggestion to research CPA (never heard the term). Funnily enough, I saw a version of "NewAffiliateNetwork" being mentioned. One of the CPA networks that was mentioned in one of the CPA threads has a name very similar to the carrot network these brother's were dangling in front of my face. We'll call the network "CPA"... well the brothers' company is called "[Edited]." Same unique catchy company name, with an "encore" glued to the front. Willing to bet the two companies (like the brothers) are related. Hm.

Aaaaaaanyway.. thanks again for the info. I really do learn something new every day, by being here.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; September 26th, 2007 at 12:59 PM.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    this thread sends chills down my back
    This is just plain creepy!

That is a big breach of ethical conduct for the affiliate contact to send your info over to his brother without your expressed permission.
    I'd wonder what kind of internal company info might have been shared at the same time.

had affiliate data stolen.

What a track record this industry has!
    In the case of email lists, that's easy enough to wiggle out of by just calling it a "buddy list" lol.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    This is just plain creepy!

That is a big breach of ethical conduct for the affiliate contact to send your info over to his brother without your expressed permission.
    I'd wonder what kind of internal company info might have been shared at the same time.
    Yeah... it's creepier still.... I was thinking about the whole deal last night. I dug up the original email from the brother (the founder of "NewAffiliateNetwork.") Now mind you... he sent me his initial email just minutes after I'd had an email exchange with his brother (although at the time I didn't know they were brothers).... Well, in his first email to me, he old me that he'd googled sites about ____, and came upon my site. Uh. Lie. He didn't find me with google. He found me because his brother passed my info on to him.

Incidentally, I've received 2 emails from them today alone, asking me if I plan to "come aboard." I'm just ignoring 'em.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread