Hello everyone. I'm a newbie and am ready to learn. I've developed a few content sites and had a general question for someone.

I host my sites on a home server. Currently I have one registered domain name and I use zoneedit to set up subdomains off of that domain. I was wondering if I can register each of these sites separately with search engines or if this is a bad idea?

For example, I have my main webpage at Can I create another site and have it at or

I'm probably confusing everyone but I'm a little confused myself. Is it ok to do this or should I register a brand new domain name for each site I create? What is the search engine impact it will have by doing it this way? Can and be entered as separate websites?

Thanks for anyone who can help!

Well newbie mistake numero uno.

You don't have to nor should you register any of your sites at all.

You only need to link your sites with other sites to get included in the search engines. They have spiders designed to surf the web, follow links and add sites to their database.

Find another site already included in a search engine and exchange links with them.

I understand that it is necessary to get links to my sites to improve search ranking. But I shouldn't register my site for any search engines at all? I thought I was supposed to do that too?

Will my domian name approach (subdomains) work or do I need to get a NEW domain name for each site?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Yup, what Heyder said. I have found that submitting to search engines a waste of time, by having good reciprocal links with high PR sites, most Search engines will eventually find you.

One exception are directories like Yahoo and DMOZ where you have to manually submit your site to be included.

Regarding the domain, if you will build a site that has a totally different topic then I suggest a new domain name with the keywords in it.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread