Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    The Gift Card Surge Has Begun...But...
    I am seeing an increase in gift card promotions, but don't most merchants give zero commission for sales of gift cards? Maybe now would be a good time to figure out who pays for that type of sale and who doesn't.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  2. #2
    notary sojac Herb ԿԬ's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Central/Western NY State
    Posts
    7,741
    I think amazon.com still does, now. (has for a couple of months)

  3. #3
    AM Navigator Geno Prussakov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2005
    Location
    Washington D.C. Metro Area
    Posts
    11,798
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    ...don't most merchants give zero commission for sales of gift cards? Maybe now would be a good time to figure out who pays for that type of sale and who doesn't.
    Even though this promo is ending in 5 days, GourmetStation has always been and still is paying full commission on all gift certificate sales.

    Geno

  4. #4

    Join Date
    June 7th, 2006
    Posts
    1,596
    I was just thinking about gift cards. I agree with no commissions for them. There isn't sales tax on them because you can double sales tax people. Wouldn't it be the same for commissions? I mean if we got commissions on them, and then the person spent the card through our sites as well, then we would get double commissions. It would be overly complicated to implement a tracking system just for that purpose.

  5. #5
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    I mean if we got commissions on them, and then the person spent the card through our sites as well, then we would get double commissions. It would be overly complicated to implement a tracking system just for that purpose.
    Many people spend online gift cards locally.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    I was just thinking about gift cards. I agree with no commissions for them. There isn't sales tax on them because you can double sales tax people. Wouldn't it be the same for commissions? I mean if we got commissions on them, and then the person spent the card through our sites as well, then we would get double commissions. It would be overly complicated to implement a tracking system just for that purpose.
    ? An affiliate who agrees no commissions on gift cards, say it ain't so.

    I think most people who get gift cards redeem them at an actual brick and mortar store. Those that redeem them online, most likely not thru the same affiliate site the giver got them thru. And then on top of that there is a good percentage that never get redeemed. It's like free money to the merchant.

    I give a merchant $50 for a gift card I plan on giving to a friend.

    Merchant has my $50.

    Friend is the forgetful type, never redeems.

    Merchant has my $50.

    It's straight up screwing over the affiliates not paying on gift cards because merchants know how big they are especially during the holidays.

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    I am seeing an increase in gift card promotions, but don't most merchants give zero commission for sales of gift cards? Maybe now would be a good time to figure out who pays for that type of sale and who doesn't.
    I think I remember last year Performics has a list of all the merchants in their network that paid on gift cards, I will ask them about it.

    Also keep in mind for merchants that don't pay, you probably could promote them thru GiftCertificates.com that do.

  8. #8
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Here's a recent ABW poll and discussion about commissioning on gift cards.

    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=93407

    It would be great if the networks would go ahead and poll their merchants and get out a list to affiliates as to which merchants pay affiliate commissions on gift cards. Linkshare did this last year but I seem to recall that it was done relatively late in the holiday purchasing season.

  9. #9
    Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2007
    Location
    West Covina, CA
    Posts
    8,443
    Borders new Gift Card Program
    For those of you with interest in gift cards, in the New Advertisers section on CJ this morning, there is info on a new affiliate program from Borders, for gift cards only. 30-day cookie, unlimited returns, 6% commission.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

  10. #10
    Full Member
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    326
    Gap, old navy, and Home Depot, Discovery Channel store all commission on gift cards.

    Like trust says, there is always gift certificates.com. great option

  11. #11
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    I really don't understand "Gift Card mania" -- it's like exchanging currency, so why not give a check?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Google Gift Card
    By mailman in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 26th, 2010, 08:23 PM
  2. Gift Card Sales
    By Joe Lilly in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •