How exactly are return days calculated?
    Here is the situation I am trying to assess. Let's say I have a private offer of 10 return days which expires at the end of September. October 1, I will have 3 return days. If a visitor clicks through on September 30 but doesn't purchase until Oct 5, how are the return days calculated? I assume it is either:
    1 - The cookie has the return days in it and so it is within the 10 return days.
    or
    2 - The cookie has only the click date and the return days are calculated from the current terms.

I did search the forums but did not find this detail. Anyone know with certainty the answer?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Based on my understanding, if a person would to click on Sept 30 and they purchase on Oct 5, that click would fall within the Private offer. You will be eligible for the 10 return days.

LS mod, please feel free to correct me but that is based on what I understand (and not to mention, it's the most logical).

Eric,

It does seem that it would be the correct way to do it (pay off of the return days in effect at the time of the click), however it certainly doesn't work that way for commissions. In other words, if a commission rate changes you get the rate at the time of the sale not the time of the click.

Anyone else have any info? For those of you that can read cookies (I shoud learn how) can you see the return days information stored in the cookie?

Cathy

ABW Ambassador
    It makes sense that the commission rate at the time of the sale applies and not the commission rate at the time of the click.

I have asked about return day info. in a Linkshare cookie in the past and I've been told by several people that it is encrypted and cannot be seen. I questioned this earlier this year because my non-commissionable sales for a particular Linkshare merchant are consistently between 30% and 50% per month and this merchant supposedly has a 30 day cookie. Affiliates should be able to confirm stated cookie durations but we can't.

Thanks Snowman. If the return days is indeed encrypted in the cookie then this does imply that it is based on the terms as of the click date.

I had a sitiuation in early 2007 in which I did not think return days were working properly. In the situation, I had the merchant look at the reports and the consumer had visited my site in Q4 2006 and returned to the merchant in Q1 2007 and purchased only items that were on my site, some of which were new products that didn't even exist in 2006 (I had them check 5 different transactions). It's a small site with maybe a couple hundred products and a huge retailer (which I won't name) with thousands of products. It seemed too improbable that these consumers would coincidentally return a couple of months later to the large merchant and only purchase items from my site (without visiting my site). My conclusion was that the cookie click date was not being overwritten properly and therefore the transactions came through as return days exceeded. My evidence was only circumstantial.

I'm fairly sure that it's based on the return days in effect when the sale is posted, but I think it would be best to let LinkShare confirm that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread