http and a telephoto
    Why am I getting Spam from other OPMs?
    Two firms (not on ABW) have sent spam this week asking if "your affiliate program is up to par" and offering "free consultation" or "free diagnostics". One when to an email address that is used for an online show, one to my team loxly email.

I'm not a merchant, I'm a competitor! How did they get my email address? Are they going through the Shareasale merchants list and emailing the affiliate program contact?

I'm confused. If you want to recruit, great! But don't email ME, I don't need your services ... really.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    I used to get this all the time... Yes, I think they go through the network merchants and email all the affiliate contacts they can, mostly without even paying attention to who they are contacting.

When I managed one affiliate program a well known AM company kept contacting them... even after I contacted them and told them to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    offering "free consultation" or "free diagnostics".
    Let them, see what they do or say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Let them, see what they do or say.
    If it's who I think it is, trust me, you don't want their advice -- even if it's free!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    It is and you are correct, I don't....
    Deborah Carney

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Are they based in Florida as I get spammed by them too.
    ?

Methinks I just made that list.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Maybe they're the ones that need consultation, did you ask them if they wanted you to review their program?

Oh yeah, thanks for the heads-up of what I have to look forward too when I get my programs big enough. At least now I have a benchmark

http and a telephoto
    Not in Florida.... claiming in the email that we requested info at a recent industry event.... they know who I am and that I am not a merchant. Someone needed to look at what they were typing into the database....
    Deborah Carney

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Could it be from Ecom expo?

I get pounded by those people after the expo.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by WyndhamVacationR-EricEwe
    Could it be from Ecom expo?

I get pounded by those people after the expo.
    No today's was not, they didn't use the email address I used for ecom expo. The spam yesterday was definitely from an ecom xpo list and they did not (or should not) have had access to that list. That email address is not used anywhere else that they would have found it on.
    Deborah Carney

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    We have had this happen to us as well. A well known OPM (also not on ABW) sent out blast emails to our merchant clients using the affiliate program email addresses which obviously indicate management by an OPM (merchantname@schaafco.com) basically soliciting for business and new program management. We sent a response back saying, and I liberally paraphrase here, look out of professional courtesy please do not promote your OPM services to our clients. They responded that they weren't aware that the merchants were already represented and it was a mass email that goes out to everyone on their email lists. Not sure how these guys compose these lists, but it is just one of those practices that is a good way to weed out the good guys from the bad.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Harris
    We have had this happen to us as well. A well known OPM (also not on ABW) sent out blast emails to our merchant clients using the affiliate program email addresses which obviously indicate management by an OPM (merchantname@schaafco.com) basically soliciting for business and new program management. We sent a response back saying, and I liberally paraphrase here, look out of professional courtesy please do not promote your OPM services to our clients. They responded that they weren't aware that the merchants were already represented and it was a mass email that goes out to everyone on their email lists. Not sure how these guys compose these lists, but it is just one of those practices that is a good way to weed out the good guys from the bad.
    I think I got the same one, 3 or 4 times a couple days ago. Isn't SPAM unsolicited bulk email? It wasn't sent individually to me but to various program email accounts I use.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

http and a telephoto
    SPAM is unsolicited email of any kind, it doesn't need to be "bulk". These were sent through Constant Contact, which has a report unwanted email function. It was sent using their import list function, which assumes you were on a list and requested info from them.

I didn't, I wouldn't. I didn't even get to their booth at Affiliate Summit in Miami, so they can't claim they got it from me there.
    Deborah Carney

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    If it's the company I think it is... I got the email too... you visited their booth at EcomExpo

uh... nevermind... just saw your previous post

Well, I wouldn't mind it much if they sent an email to me proposing some business. That's better than calling me. But, these were clearly bulk and not personalized. If they knew who they were contacting, they would know they don't need to send me 3 or 4 of the same email.

I noticed after I had my table at the affiliate summit Meet Market I got a slew of emails to my OPM email address and it was evident that many had not clue what it was that I did in my business. Some of these emails were the same type you got, Deb, so this may have been the source.

Don't get me wrong, I think Affiliate Summit is a great place to connect to others and I give out my business cards because I want people to contact me, but this is just a case of a few people trying to spam others without taking the time to really learn what it is they do.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

http and a telephoto
    I would agree with all of you, except these folks know who we are and shouldn't be sending emails like this to *us* or our clients.

IMO, this is makes them look desperate for clients. I personally would never approach a company if I hadn't looked at their website and wasn't interested in representing. A blanket email to people that may or may NOT need your services is inappropriate and is going to be yet one more thing to give Affiliate Marketing and Outsourced Program Management a black eye.

There are plenty of ways to do appropriate merchant recruiting and there are certainly boatloads of merchants that NEED managing.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I noticed after I had my table at the affiliate summit Meet Market I got a slew of emails to my OPM email address and it was evident that many had not clue what it was that I did in my business. Some of these emails were the same type you got, Deb, so this may have been the source.

Don't get me wrong, I think Affiliate Summit is a great place to connect to others and I give out my business cards because I want people to contact me, but this is just a case of a few people trying to spam others without taking the time to really learn what it is they do.
    The ones I'm getting aren't from AS. I have 1 email address on my biz card but the emails I'm getting are to my program accounts (affiliates@...).

Heh, until you said Constant Contact I didn't think I was one of the victims but yesterday I received one of these I'm sure of it. Initially I thought it was from one of the exhibitors at Ad-tech who had quickly submitted me to their email lists from the show as I used the same email address there as I do at eComXpo.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread