Which affliate program is better for niche items?
    I have an online store for selling niche items and I'm still debating on which affiliate program to use to get the best traffic and conversation rate, does any have advise?

Affiliate Manager
    Shareasale.com

I'm beginning to believe with you there Chet.

I'd say SAS for two important reasons. One, I speak from personal experience as I've had success with niche program there and second, for you as a merchant, I truly believe SAS can give you the personal attention you will need to run your niche program.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

First, check where any of your competitors has their affiliate programs; consider whether there is any advantage to using the same network (it is very unlikely that there is).

Then, go to ShareASale.com and sign up.

Wow, seems like most people agree on SAS.
    My biggest concern is that SAS require $350 setup fee and I'm really low on budget.
    I've worked at an online shopping company before that use SAS and I agree that they do a good job on posting deals on the deal site, however my items are more niche and require more focus target audience. I'm wondering if they can still get the job done.

Affiliate Manager
    Not trying to sound harsh or be a jerk but if you cannot afford a $350 set up fee I wouldn't expect any serious affiliates to work with you. There's nothing worse than putting up a site for your products and then having you go offline because of no funds because you can't afford to pay for your affiliates' sales.

If you think the setup fee is to much for your business right now then you should think about if you're ready or not to actually have an affiliate program.

I absolutely agree with Chet -- but not just because you're trying to launch a business on a shoestring and might end up being unable to keep the business running after a few sales.

Signing up with an affiliate network is just the beginning of your costs to "launch" your program. You'll need to allocate resources (time, at least) to recruit good affiliates, and to recruit some of your "best" prospective affiliates for a NICHE program, you'll need to make phone calls and send physical mailings.

If $350 is an obstacle, then you are absolutely NOT ready to lauch an affiliate program ANYWHERE.

Also note - SaS charges much less than CJ does. I believe CJ charges somewhere around $5000 to startup with them.

http and a telephoto
    Phone calls, mailings, an announcement here, graphics, banners... yes, the $350 is the least expensive of your costs.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks for the advise, i will definity look into sas.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    If you are trying to launch an affiliate program you should have two things in place. A known conversion rate on your existing traffic i.e. SEO, PPC, acquisition email, media, etc. And you have a list of webmasters who have asked to sell your product.

If you have those in place and still are limited on budget you can go with a do-it-yourself package like http://www.groundbreak.com/. Once you get a group of affiliates who are producing and paying for the program you can invest in SAS to grow your program and recruit new affiliates.

If you do not have a decent conversion and no one is asking to proactively sell your product then you are just wasting your time and any networks.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread