Thread: Still looking for answer on tracking question

Still looking for answer on tracking question
    Hey guys,

I'm still waiting to hear back from you on whether the Yum Drop, Frightcatalog and Import Costumes cross linking banners (top and bottom of all three sites) track site to site, or if they're leaks.

I didn't do a test purchase, but did click around and couldn't see any visible means of tracking one site to another, nor did the clicks show up in SAS beyond the very first site.

I know this is one of those things that merchants do that make AMs pull their hair out, but you might mention to the merchant that at least one affiliate has raised the question. You could also pass along that while I posted links for four other costume merchants yesterday, I held off on these three over the cross linking banners.

Thanks much!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hi Eathan,

Sorry that I haven't gotten back to you already. I told Jon that I would look into it, and I dropped the ball. Right now, it is absolutely a leak, there is no cross tracking. I'm making suggestions to the client as to how to rectify it, and will let you know here if they agree to implement any of them.

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike,

Many thanks, and no worries about not getting back straight away. I look forward to hearing from you after the client has a chance to mull things over.

BTW, it's pretty refreshing to get such a straight answer. I don't think we've worked together in the past, but this is a good start, and I'll certainly be taking a closer look at your other programs.

I don't get much time to be an affiliate these days, but I still enjoy it when I get a chance.
    Eathan Mertz

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Hey Mike,

Many thanks, and no worries about not getting back straight away. I look forward to hearing from you after the client has a chance to mull things over.

BTW, it's pretty refreshing to get such a straight answer. I don't think we've worked together in the past, but this is a good start, and I'll certainly be taking a closer look at your other programs.

I don't get much time to be an affiliate these days, but I still enjoy it when I get a chance.
    Thanks Eathan,

You're obviously welcome in all of our programs .

I just got off the phone with the YumDrop, FrightCatalog, ImportCostumes company. They were not aware of the negative implications this has on affiliates, of course, so I proposed the following 3 solutions:

1. Remove the Links

They want to keep the links for obvious reasons: SEO and trying to keep visitors on their sites.

2. Suppress the links for affiliate traffic if affiliates will not get credit for referred sales that land on sister sites.

They are open to this, and are getting with their tech team to determine if this is a possibility. They may have an answer as soon as tomorrow, but I assume that it won't be until Monday.

3. Pay commission on sister sites by installing all tracking pixels in all carts.

This is the our preferred method, because it gives everyone the opportunity to make more money. However, as you know from your merchant side, the thought of paying multiple commissions on the same sale is a scary one. Thus, they would have to have the check out page be able to determine the last referring affiliate, and make sure to only fire that Shareasale pixel. Since this is the most complicated option, it is the least likely.

Summary:

For now, the leak stands on the site. We should have an update as to which, if any, of the above solutions will take place on Monday.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks much!

#1 is as expected. I mean, three brands cross-linking can be powerful stuff.

#2 This one should be pretty easy. SaS has a var you can switch on and off in the account settings.

#3 I like this one best too, but pretty scary to think about a glitch in implementation.

I'll take a peak again on Monday and maybe get some links up.

Thanks again for looking into it for me (and all of us).

Cheers!

[edited to ad: Sorry for being so brief. Busy afternoon. ]
    Eathan Mertz

Hey Eathan (and others following this thread),

I apologize for not getting back to you yesterday as I posted above.

I have good news, I presented them with a fourth option after I thought about it, and they took it. Basically, they are looking for the SSAID in the url, and are dynamically placing that into affiliate links into the banners on the bottom of the page, this way, as long as you are affiliates of all 3 programs, you will receive credit for traffic sent through affiliate links.

This has already been implemented on FrightCatalog.com, so you can check it out there. It should be up on YumDrop and Import Costumes some time tonight.

For complete transparency, please note that if a consumer clicks through an affiliate link, closes the browser (thus ends the session), and returns to the site, the links on the banners will be regular links. Thus, there is still a minor leak.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions!

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Nunez; October 3rd, 2007 at 12:40 AM.

Good news! A tiny leak is always better than a big one...

There's not a ton of time left for Halloween marketing, but I'll try to at least get a few links up.

Thanks for following up on this!
    Eathan Mertz

8. Newsletter Signup