Question Befuddled by adsense
    Good evening all,

I've been using adsense for a couple of months now, with no problems or complaints. I've reached the minimum threshold each time. Great. But...

Today, the stats are crazy, and it's got me befuddled (and a little nervous). My CTR has gone from an average of about 6.75%.. to todays CTR of 28.21%. I can't imagine how that can even be possible, all things considered. Not even the links within my content are getting clicked that much (well... at least I don't think they are... but cj has been up and down so who knows).

So.. is an adsense CTR that high common? It doesn't even make logical sense to me, all things being the same (I have not changed a thing on my site).

Being a newbie, I have no idea what a "normal" CTR is... and with it more than quadrulpling from one day to the next, with no change on my end is confusing, and now paranoid me is thinking the adsense powers that be will think something is up.

Ergh!

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't worry about. I have one place where my CTR is less than 1% another where it's over 45%. The 45% is sometimes in the 20% range. If you're not doing anything wrong, you're not doing anything wrong and those numbers are out of your control.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    High CTR is good. You should be happy. If Google thinks your ads and site are good they will give you higher placement and charge you less for it.

Are you running different text ad wordings? Might check if one is better than the others. Maybe the best ones are running more now. Google will run your best ads more once it figures out which ones work the best.

AndBeyond, you've got the wrong side of the coin, she's talking about Adsense, not Adwords.

I've noticed some times google seems to hold clicks, perhaps as a fraud detection method. On another webmaster site they call it an adsense dump. Basically you see a bunch of clicks come through that were actually done several days or longer ago.

I have a site that I took adsense off of about a month ago, I got a click through show up last week. It couldn't have happened in the time frame it showed as there were no ads on the site.

Don't do anything that could cause G* to ban you (clicking on your own links or encouraging others to do so) and don't sweat it.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    High CTR is good. You should be happy. If Google thinks your ads and site are good they will give you higher placement and charge you less for it.
    This is Adsense, not Adwords. Publishers don't pay, they get paid for running ads.

Are you running different text ad wordings? Might check if one is better than the others. Maybe the best ones are running more now. Google will run your best ads more once it figures out which ones work the best.
    Again, this is about Adsense. Google crawls the publishers' pages and they decide what runs.

The difference between Adwords and Adsense

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=72033

crazymom, did you happen to have a sudden spike in targeted traffic, like from a search engine or a link from someplace?

http and a telephoto
    Some days CTR goes way up because there are more relevant ads than other days. And once G figures out the right ads to show on your site, and has the right advertisers for it, your CTR can go way up. Then the advertisers budget dries up and those ads go away and you are back to where you were before Or not

There are folks that have consistent CTRs in the 20-30% range.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Oops. I always get those words mixed up. Too similiar if you ask me. Thanks for catching my screwup in the newbie section.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I've noticed similiar things happening on my websites.
    CTR goes up when the few people who go to your site click on links or more than one link.
    CTR goes down when you have more visits with the same number (or less) of clicks.
    If you get most of your visits via Google search results your CTR will be higher than if you get visits via signature links or recommendations.
    Also consider that when you view your site, impressions are counted. Let's say that you make several changes and reload your website several times to check the results. Each reload will count impressions and lower your CTR since you can't click on your own ads. Another day you make no changes at all, so it is more likely that your CTR will be higher.
    I have also seen how on certain days a particular ad channel will have many clicks for the same CPC. I would attribute that to the appearance of a new ad or an ad that just got new funds. Ads that mention fabulous claims typically get more clicks even if they are MFA sites (made for adsense).

Hey guys,
    Can anyone answer me how long it usually takes for Google to accept your application for Adsense and Adwords? And what is this CTR?? (blush)
    Sorry, really a newbie!
    Miss Sunrider

ABW Ambassador
    CTR = clickthrough rate

No need to blush, I just found out what R.I.P means.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Adwords accepted me immediately
    Adsense took a day or two.
    Remember to only sign up for one account for all of your websites.
    Make sure your website is up and running before applying for Adsense.
    your CTR (click through rate) is a comparison of clicks and ad impressions.

Red face
    hahaha, that's funny webworker!

Thanks lotsdeviant, that's weird then, I have to go see what's going on!

Why is my Adsense taking forever???
    So I went to check my Adsense account and I got the message that it takes a week to review the application, is that normal?

This is the message they gave me:
    "Account Not Active
    An AdSense account does not exist for this login, as your application is currently in review. Within a week of your application date, we'll review your application and follow-up with you via email. Once you are approved to join AdSense, you'll be able to log in to your account and get started."

But my AdWords is working!!!
    yaaaaayyyy!!!

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread