ABW Ambassador
    Video Professor, Trying To Sue Away Critics
    from arstechnica.com

You've probably seen infomercials for the Video Professor on late-night TV; a kindly-looking John Scherer has been pitching his company's computer training videos for two decades now. But Video Professor, Inc. has no problem using less-friendly tactics when confronted with criticism, and the company is now suing more than 100 anonymous Internet posters over derogatory comments that they made about Video Professor's business.

The Denver Post noticed the case a few days back, and it's certainly an odd one. Video Professor filed a federal claim in a Colorado court against 100 "John and Jane Does" who committed "unauthorized Internet disparagement of VPI and its products" on web sites such as infomercialscams.com (the site, incidentally, is the number three Google result for "video professor").

The complaints generally follow a similar theme: Video Professor allegedly markets products as free to try, then pitches callers with upsells that confuse them into signing up for subscriptions. A recent comment from "Tina" is typical. "I had purchased one piece of software from Video Professor... before I knew what was happening, my credit card was overdrawn and more attempted charges were constantly occurring. I kept calling customer service, returned the original software and heard many promises of the 100 percent refund, less S/H. This has been over 3 years now."

ABW Ambassador
    Besides the ridiculousness of him trying to sue away critics, does he not realize that him wanting to sue just brings even more negative attention to himself? They're just doing themselves in even more. Some more on it:

http://www.infomercialscams.com/video_professor.htm
    Last edited by Trust; September 28th, 2007 at 04:20 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    I think their behavior describes the type of people they are pretty clearly... why anyone would promote a company that behaves like this is beyond me.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread