Qualities of a good affiliate network?
    Hello,

Not sure if there is already such a thread, but I couldn't find it.
    I would like to know what you guys think are the good quality's of affiliate companies.
    For example:
    Always paying on time, etc

Also what was the reason that you joined such a network?
    High fees, heard good things about the company,...

Hope to hear you guys soon.

So you're looking for desired qualities/characteristics of an affiliate network?

If so, are you asking as an affiliate, or as a merchant? (Or rather: qualities desired by whom: affiliates or merchants?)

Geno

It really depends on what you are looking for. Some affiliate networks may have the merchants/products that you want to list on your site while others may not. I have merchants from many different affiliate networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    So you're looking for desired qualities/characteristics of an affiliate network?

If so, are you asking as an affiliate, or as a merchant? (Or rather: qualities desired by whom: affiliates or merchants?)

Geno
    Qualities desired by affiliates.

See the "Merchant Best Practices" forum, where there are many discussions of practices by merchants and/or networks that help or hinder an affiliate program's success. Michael Coley has posted some very, very, very useful summaries and lists there.

As an affiliate, these are the factors that I consider when deciding whether to promote a particular merchant's products, and which networks to work with.

You may also want to seek out the dozens and dozens of discussion threads here about "which affiliate network to join" and "which affiliate network to use for a new merchant program."

If you are simply trying to decide which network to join (and it appears that you've just started learning about affiliate marketing in the past few days), then most folks here will strongly endorse ShareASale. Many folks will also endorse CJ and Linkshare (I despise both), and possibly Kolimbo and Performics (I don't like either), and perhaps AvantLink and AffiliateFuture (I have no experience with either).
    Last edited by markwelch; September 28th, 2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: (originally misinterpreted questioner's intent)

Thanks for your contribution!
    Why don't you like Kolimbo and Performics ?
    Have you had some badexperiences with them in the past?

http and a telephoto
    Do a search on Kolimbo and you will find plenty of opinions.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

offcourse, but I only asked because there has to be a reason why he doesn't like these companys...
    And I only asked why he doesn't like them

Derrek: As Loxly said, the easiest way to get answers is to search for them on ABW. She was not "brushing you off," she was pointing to the quickest and easiest way to get an answer to the question you posed.

I've posted here on ABW several times about the various steps in Kowabunga's (Kolimbo/MyAP) current "death spiral." Since its acquisition by Think Partnership, Kowabunga has completely changed its business model and mistreated hundreds of its merchant clients, who are rapidly abandoning their "network."

I also recently posted about my dissatisfaction with Performics. Ironically, I decided to sign up with Performics because my #1 merchant was closing its Kowabunga program and moving to Performics; I was very, very strongly motivated to make the relationship with Performics work. The ineptness of the Performics staff persuaded me that it was time to seek out other opportunities, and end a very profitable affiliate relationship.

Ah, ok then I have to say sorry to you Loxly

Anyway nice to hear of your experiences with those companys.
    I'm also searching for a good company that suits me!
    Someday I'll find it

Affiliate Manager
    Back 15 months ago we went with ShareASale. Haven't regretted it a single day.

Alexei

Nice to hear you have found something that suits you!

Affiliate Manager
    Unless you're selling something that is not "traditional" (that is not main-stream), I cannot see why it shouldn't suit you too.

Alexei

I didn't mean to offend you, I just said I'm happy that you figured out how to sell your products..

Good Affiliate Networks
    There are a lot of factors that go into affiliate networking.

of course you always want to be paid on time. But also, if you can provide a high amount of quality traffic, your payment terms should be able to decrease to bi-monthly or weeklies.
    You want a network that doesn't have a main focus on one certain type of offer such as beauty or just dating. Needless to say, putting your eggs in one basket never works out. If they have a lot of exclusive offers over many different verticals, that is quality.
    Also, you want your affiliate manager to speak strategically with you. If they give you every offer you ask for, they are not doing their job. the goal is to maximize ROI and find the right offers per the right traffic on the right days that you are promoting it. Your AM has all the stats and data from their side to your side to make the most informed decision.
    That leads more into an AM. you're going to want one who is asking a lot of questions. Quality networks train their AM's to gather every piece of information to be the best at what they are doing. If you're the one asking all the questions, that is a sign.
    These are a few basics that I hope helped.

Re: Affilates
    Listed in no particular order:
    1) Highest payouts
    2) Access to Exclusive offers
    3) Vertical diversification
    4) Access to sources, data, list management, etc.
    5) Payouts for referrals
    6) Flexible payment terms
    7) Internal offer testing
    8) Affiliate Strategist availability
    9) Knowledge of where/when offers are performing
    10) Guaranteed payment for traffic**** Don't let a network/advertiser stiff you!!

- having a good affiliate manager is really important. At least have someone who knows what they're talking about.
    - pay on time
    - efficiency

I just run Google Adsense and some Clickbank offers on my blog,from limited experience, Adsense and Clickbank both are ok.

Best qualities for an affiliate network are the staples - payments on time, selection of quality offers, loyalty towards affiliates, excellent communication with the advertisers of the offers (when cap space or payouts come in to question), amount of tools available for the affiliates to use whether on the network interface or by way of a manager...which leads me to the most important quality...

Physically being able to communicate with an affiliate manager or strategist - physical meaning live so either face, phone, or chat. This is the most crucial thing because tons of people have worked with networks that don't keep in contact and act as a responsive request machine, which rarely works. Its the fact of the AM being contactable so you can explain stuff. That's a Bingo!

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread