View Poll Results: How Much Are Affiliates Making?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • $1-200 per quarter

10 14.08%
  • $201-$500 per quarter

4 5.63%
  • $500-$1000 per quarter

4 5.63%
  • $1000-$5000 per quarter

15 21.13%
  • $5001 and above (BLING! BLING!)

38 53.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm trying to convince my wife having her run my web site (plus new ones) is worth her time from a monetary standpoint. So here is this poll on what your making quarterly.

Comments on the amount time spent weekly, the number of web sites run, and the period it takes before reaching the next level would be appreciated.

Thanks.

NetSweat.com - The Internet's Fitness Resource
    www.netsweat.com

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Per quarter?

I know many of my affiliates are making more than $5,000 per month !!!

I can imagine some are making close to $5,000 per week !!!

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

Affiliate Manager
    I'm going to have to agree with Andy- $5,000 a quarter is definately within reach of someone who puts in the work. There are many making that much per week off a few of the programs with AMs in here- ours included.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

ABW Ambassador
    I am a housewife that got addicted, and am now earning nearly more than my husband in a week!

so i would tell your wife to give it a go

We have an affiliate that makes anywhere from 250-350k a month so I think 5k would be in reach for a quarter =) Our average $ per month is $20,000 so probably attainable also..may want to redo those scales =0

Daniel Fink
    Affiliate Marketing Coordinator
    FreeDebtConsolidation.com
    Dan@Intermarkmedia.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by netsweatcom:
    I'm trying to convince my wife having her run my web site (plus new ones) is worth her time from a monetary standpoint.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been unsuccessful so far in that. After trying to convince her for 6 months, I kind of gave up.

I don't have a clue what I would do with 250k a month.

well I know what I would buy my first month but after that *shrug* lol probably a lot of diversified investments mostly real estate.

Daniel Fink
    Affiliate Marketing Coordinator
    FreeDebtConsolidation.com
    Dan@Intermarkmedia.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    I don't have a clue what I would do with 250k a month. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "don't" list is shorter than the "do" list.

NS, vote should be on monthly earnings
    As for what to do with 250k a month...

I start building something like Greg Norman's Aussie Rules, and live on the water again

http://www.shark.com/normanexpedition/latest.php
    "I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador

$5,000 per month doesn't sound within reach. At least not to me with my content sites.

But then, after reading the thread on content vs sales, seems like sales is the way to go.

But how on earth do you get traffic into sales sites? All the directories, even small ones with page rank of main page as 6, kick my sales sites out. Only my content sites are accepted to the main directories as well as the small ones.

Do you have to pay a lot to PPC search engines to make that $5000 per month.

250k/month ...Dan , why dont you bring him to abw !!

The highest earning affiliate i ever know is earning like $160k/month ....but he is a gaming affiliate .

netsweatcom , you have to redo the scale a bit ...there are a lot of 20k per month people

"The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their Dreams."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I know many of my affiliates are making more than $5,000 per month !!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ugh,

haiko, you should add a crying emoticon to this board.

"I know many of my affiliates are making more than $5,000 per month !!!"

Not Last Month

"
    Congratulations to our TOP 25 partners for the month of January !!

A big thank you to everyone that pushed this month again, we are cutting 191 checks to our affiliate partners that broke the $25.00 minimum. There are another 1,300+ in the pipeline waiting to reach their $25.00 mark.

Here they are:

$2,390.54
    $2,274.70
    $1,828.48
    $1,726.99
    $1,716.49
    $1,636.66
    $1,244.40
    $1,198.99
    $1,136.24
    $1,045.37
    $962.90
    $912.33
    $858.91
    $739.02
    $648.97
    $639.69
    $604.84
    $596.55
    $567.81
    $555.89
    $545.33
    $513.45
    $504.30
    $489.80
    $427.15"

"It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by womanht:

$5,000 per month doesn't sound within reach. At least not to me with my content sites.

But then, after reading the thread on content vs sales, seems like sales is the way to go.

But how on earth do you get traffic into sales sites? All the directories, even small ones with page rank of main page as 6, kick my sales sites out. Only my content sites are accepted to the main directories as well as the small ones.

Do you have to pay a lot to PPC search engines to make that $5000 per month.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Content sites can make that- but it's a more uphill battle for them. The better way to use your content site is often to link to your sales site and make sure Google is aware it's a great site to spider

You can also integrate some products and services almost seamlessly into a content site depending on what your content is.

My experience is that $2,000 is the toughest barrier to break on the way to $5000.

PPC helps hurry things along, but aren't needed.

Please feel free to call or write me about your site specifically and I'd be happy to do what I can to help!

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    This is a long post, so here's a breakdown. 1) On making $5k/month. 2)Where the crying icon is. 3) Fairly quick answers to the questions in the first post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> $5,000 per month doesn't sound within reach. At least not to me with my content sites.

But how on earth do you get traffic into sales sites? All the directories, even small ones with page rank of main page as 6, kick my sales sites out. Only my content sites are accepted to the main directories as well as the small ones.~Womanht <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The heck with those priggish directories. Sales sites are meant for Google and Inktomi! I used to love PPCs, but Inktomi has a much better return on investment: Infinite clicks for the low yearly fee. As long as the terms you're aiming for aren't buried under their partners' directory listings (most aren't, unless you're promoting something everybody else is--which you should try to avoid anyway), you're all set. It does require being able to do SEO, though (if you want to avoid PPCs), since both Google and Inktomi are spidering engines where you can't just buy a high rank!

$5k/month (In Commissions) isn't hard. It's no harder than making $1k/month!!! It's kind of like bike riding. The hard part isn't going up from 5mph to 30mph. The hard part is learning to ride the thing in the first place! After that, if you want more "effect" you just do more of the same kind of effort and there it is.

To continue with the bike riding analogy, if you want to go fast without a lot of w*rk, you'd get a 10-speed. As for the net, there's software that can magnify your efforts so that the amount of effort that would be used make one page will make 1000! Increasing your efficiency is important, so you don't get overwhelmed with the amount of output needed! Always have an eye out for (legit) ways to ease (or eliminate!) some of the amount of w*rk you're doing.

Once you figure out how to get a decent percentage of people to buy from your site, all you need to do is make more and more sites. It's easier to make lots of sites which each get modest traffic, than to try to turn one site into a hugely trafficked destination, for some reason. Instead of worrying about the amount of traffic on a single site, concentrate on the *total* traffic that comes to your entire empire.

Also it's good to sell a wide variety of things and have lots of merchants! For one, if a merchant dies you won't be scr*wed, if you have lots of merchants. Two, with lots of categories of items, if something becomes uncool or goes out of season you will still have something offered that IS in demand. Three, merchants aren't nearly as prone to start giving you Attitude if they see they are 1 in 65. And if they do, you can just dump 'em if you so desire--even if they generate a substantial dollar amount of commissions. This is because the *percentage* of total commissions won't be overly concentrated at one place.

Of course there's a lot more to say and learn but this post is already pretty huge, judging by the tiny slider-bar in the post window...

~~~~~~
    Electropulse--the crying icon is in with the others, on the far right of the second line: (Code is colon-cry-colon)

~~~~~~~~~~

Amount--Between $5k-8k/month. It's spikey.

Time spent weekly--It's hard to quantify--I'd say the average varies from 0 hours to 10, of actual productivity. (Note: I do NOT count time spent on boards or checking stats! Counting stat checking as effort would be like counting chocolates as "dinners".) It varies a LOT. Sometimes I type on my sites all day. But then there are times that I dedicate an entire month to mastering the latest video game and chewing the fat on here. It points to one of the things I love about this biz--the money keeps coming in even when I don't do SHEET!!! (Unlike with empl*yment, effort is used to *grow* the deposits, not merely maintain them.)

Sites run: About 26, give or take a couple.

Time until "next level": Depends on what you call the "next level"! $1k/month took about 6 months. Once I decided that $1k wasn't enough and bothered to do anything about it, it took about 4 more months to hit $4k/month. Basically there is a point at which you'll realize what works and how to go about things--and after that, it's just a matter of doing it more until you're making whatever amount satisfies you (repeat until rich!)!

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Ok, my earnings aren't even in the parking lot, much less the same ballpark as some of yours.

So, what am I doing wrong or what should I be doing that I'm not doing right now.

My site's url is:
    http://www.netsweat.com

The sections that I've redone are:
    http://www.netsweat.com/Gyms%20&%20P..._trainers.html
    and
    http://www.netsweat.com/women_fitnes...for_Women.html

Thanks in advance.

www.netsweat.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Okay, you asked for it, prepare for (Jaws Music) Site Review Slaughter...

Of course this review is In My Opinion. And aimed in relation to what I see holding up the making of Serious Money from the site!

I see that NetSweat is a long-established site so you may want to implement any drastic changes on a brand-new domain instead of radically changing the old one. I'll state right out that non-buying content-moochers will stay away from a real revenue site in droves!

But anyway, here's how I see it, from the standpoint of making a site 100% for Revenue--and Zero % for "providing a resource"!

It takes WAY too many clicks to get at much that's revenue-producing from the front page. In fact, there's too much drill-down to get at much of *anything*. Flatten out the structure somehow. Just because some big sites (like DMOZ) do it with so many category levels doesn't make it the best way.

Non-commercial sites listed! AUGH! ACK!
    The fact that they're listed ON TOP OF THE COMMERCIAL SITES too is just...unspeakable! I'll put it in bold: DUMP 'EM! Forget all that crap about "providing a service to your viewers". You want to make money, you're providing a service to your WALLET! Dump anything that does not serve that beautiful piece o' leather! Hide any courtesy links on a links page behind a little Font Size 1 or 2 link (to the links page) at the bottom.

A "view source" does not reveal any Tracking Code for the so-called "commercial sites" either. Augh! Ack! Free links! Again, DUMP 'EM if they're not paying you! YOU ARE EFFECTIVELY COMPETING AGAINST YOUR OWN BANK ACCOUNT with every link that you have, that does not bring you commissions! It does not matter how many visitors come to your site, if they just click away to some piece of noncommissionable junk. And if it's not commissionable, IT'S JUNK! No matter what other "merits" may seem to be there.

THE COMMISSIONABLE LINKS are too darn hard to find. It's way too easy to ignore that nav bar (if I didn't hit View Source I wouldn't have looked there for the pay links...). The paying part should be front and center. Anything that does not pay directly, should be because it's a link to another part of YOUR site. Or it should be whacked!

The ad near the top being seperated from the rest of the page makes it easy to ignore it!

I found a Book section. Pay links--good! But it takes too many clicks to get to the section.

The abscence of a clear keyword or phrase on some pages (or to put it differently, the presence of too many different possible keywords) may make it hard to rank under any particular thing. You may also be ranking under totally unexpected things due to Google deciding to correlate words that are actually unrelated! Some keyword SEO is in order, or that good PR I see there may not be much help in getting in under the right (read: Profitable!) keywords.

There you have it, my no-holds-barred opinion of why the Revenue of this site isn't booming in. In a sentence, there's way too many non-revenue-making possibilities on it.

Since NS is such a long-established site, though, I'll suggest making a new site (or sites) as your big revenue site since the current viewers to NS will have been spoiled--plus, the name NS will have recognition. But unfortunately, it probably isn't recognized as a place to find where to BUY THINGS!

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FreeDebtConsolidation:
    We have an affiliate that makes anywhere from 250-350k a month so I think 5k would be in reach for a quarter =)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yahoo! is your affilate? Wow!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy - TigerDirect:

I know many of my affiliates are making more than $5,000 per month !!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, none of your affiliates are making anywhere near $5,000. Why lie?

ABW Ambassador
    Perhaps he meant $5k from all of the programs that they participate in..not just his...

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by netsweatcom:
    Ok, my earnings aren't even in the parking lot, much less the same ballpark as some of yours.

So, what am I doing wrong or what should I be doing that I'm not doing right now.

My site's url is:
    http://www.netsweat.com

The sections that I've redone are:
    http://www.netsweat.com/Gyms%20&%20P..._trainers.html
    and
    http://www.netsweat.com/women_fitnes...for_Women.html

Thanks in advance.

http://www.netsweat.com&lt;HR&gt;&lt;/BLOCKQUOTE&gt;

HI! FYI Nutrition is spelled wrong (Nurtrition) in the main page title netsweat!

Leader is right about the "riding a bike" thing (as usual).

Personally, the thing that holds me back from making more money at the moment is *time*. I could probably make enough money to do this full-time, if only I had the time to put in. My job pays quite well and I don't hate it, so quitting is not an attractive option.

I guess if you're looking at the steps involved to be a successful affiliate, I guess it goes something like:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Basic web design and publishing ("Hello World")
    <LI>Learning about domains, hosting, site promotion (ODP, Google, link exchanges). Maybe using a c*ntent site.
    <LI>Building an affiliate site (or modifying a content site) to start to earn some money, initially probably enough to cover cost.
    <LI>More advanced site promotion (Inktomi, PPC engines and other sources) and traffic generation skills. Start to build up a portfolio of sites, perhaps. Learn about Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
    <LI>Start to generate some proper money. Stick to what works, and dump what doesn't. Be able to generate #1 or at least a top 3 Google result. Look at using datafeeds.
    <LI>Realise that you're now an internet marketing expert rather than whatever you were doing before. Cut the ties and leave your old job to concetrate on the new one.
    <LI>And then.....?[/list]

The bottom line is that I make four or five times the money from real life w*rk than I do for affiliate marketing. I'm not prepared to the leap yet.. but maybe sometime this year, who knows?

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks. I printed out your posts as a guide to help me get moving. Really appreciate you all for taking the time to show the rest of us the ropes.

Got a lot of work to do on my site. First thing would be to find good merchants to replace the ones that don't deliver. My main traffic is interested in skincare, but I suspect the only 2 merchants I have are playing bait and switch with me, AND reverse or extend the sales. The rest are even worse. They never delivered and are with ebates or morpheus, which is why I dropped them.

Time is a factor for me as I have a full time job...which I force myself to hold on to only because it pays the bills (I have a family to feed). Hope to be able to live off the web one day.

That alone is the motivation that keeps me going. Just one to join you guys who are doing this full time.

Thanks again. Especially to Leader.

ABW Ambassador
    If your main traffic is interested in skincare try DermaDoctor at Linkshare. I have a simple banner and text link on my coupon site and they convert like crazy.

Shake your booty

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast