Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    57
    Single transaction credited to two affiliates
    I just had a single purchase transaction credited to two different affiliates via different networks. I assume this was a result of someone surfing from coupon site to coupon site looking for some sort of discount code or at least picked up the two different tracking id's that way.

    any thoughts on if it happed for another reason? - Other than don't belong to two different affiliate networks

    Josh

  2. #2
    Newbie Christian Little's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 24th, 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Posts
    10
    It's because of the two networks. Each affiliate network plants a cookie on the user, but they can't check for the existence of cookies from other networks on that persons machine. This is why alot of merchants only use a single network, happens alot when you use SaS and CJ apparently.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    57
    that is what i figured. I am on clixgalore and shareasale.

    I assume that this meant the buyer visited both affiliates

  4. #4
    Member lookingfortips's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 13th, 2007
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by shoelover
    that is what i figured. I am on clixgalore and shareasale.

    I assume that this meant the buyer visited both affiliates
    Hm. That worries me. I'm currently with CG and will shortly be launching with SAS. I remember seeing a post on here recently about how to handle this. Does anyone remember what to do or the post?

    Also, I have my cookies set to never expire. So even if the customer does not buy right away or if they make purchases later, the affiliate will always receive a commission whether or not the customer purchases through their affiliate link again.

    Does anyone know what happens when you have a customer who has visited your site through multiple affiliates? lol

  5. #5
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    Some merchants will manually monitor for duplicate postings. It it only happens an insignificant percent of the time, it's usually not worth bothering with.

    Many will add logic to their site which sets a merchant cookie specifying which network the customer came through most recently. During checkout, if that cookie is set they will only show the tracking pixel from the appropriate network. As a best practice, I would recommend showing ALL tracking pixels if the cookie isn't set. That way, it will error on the side of tracking more than you expected rather than less.

    Being on multiple networks isn't necessarily a good thing and I'm not sure I would recommend it for smaller merchants. There are many other issues besides this one. Figure out which network will provide the most value for you, and work exclusively with that network.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  6. #6
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,930
    ClixGalore is rife with fraudsters. I'd recommend having only one hand in the cookie jar. Being at CG and SAS at the same time negates many of the recruiting and policing benefits that come with being at SAS. If you're only at SAS, apply for the Exclsuive SAS status and you'll be much more attractive to affiliates in the know, who are ethical as well.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    57
    just in the process of figuring that out actually. Based on my short experience of 1 week with SAS, they seem more advanced than clixgalore. Plus the rate of affiliate recruiting has been much faster with SAS

  8. #8
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    Quote Originally Posted by shoelover
    that is what i figured. I am on clixgalore and shareasale.

    I assume that this meant the buyer visited both affiliates
    Yes it means the buyer visited both affiliates at some point.

    Then reread Michael and Donuts posts and settle on one network. Move existing affiliates (the clean ones) from one network to the other.

    Makes life easier. And more profitable.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  9. #9
    .
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,973
    MichaelColey wrote (in part):
    > "Some merchants will manually monitor for duplicate postings. It it only happens an insignificant percent of the time, it's usually not worth bothering with. // Many will add logic to their site which sets a merchant cookie specifying which network the customer came through most recently. During checkout, if that cookie is set they will only show the tracking pixel from the appropriate network. As a best practice, I would recommend showing ALL tracking pixels if the cookie isn't set. * * *" <

    And Donuts wrote (in part):
    > " * * * Being at CG and SAS at the same time negates many of the recruiting and policing benefits that come with being at SAS. * * * " <

    As Loxly notes, it's worth re-reading their advice. These are smart guys with lots of experience.

    I can understand why some merchants feel that they must run a LinkShare or CommissionJunction program in addition to ShareASale (I disagree, but I understand the reasons); and I understand that merchants who may have started at a lower-tier network may not want to abandon those affiliates. But any time you run a "multi-network" affiliate solution, you must deal with these conflicts, and of course you're likely to find more "cookie-stuffing" and other parasitic activity as you add more "lax" networks into the mix.

  10. #10
    Member lookingfortips's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 13th, 2007
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    ClixGalore is rife with fraudsters. I'd recommend having only one hand in the cookie jar. Being at CG and SAS at the same time negates many of the recruiting and policing benefits that come with being at SAS. If you're only at SAS, apply for the Exclsuive SAS status and you'll be much more attractive to affiliates in the know, who are ethical as well.
    The reason I actually joined ABW was because I was doing research for SAS before I joined. I was having all sorts of trouble implementing the code (turned out the copy and pasting was the culprit as it would jumble up the code). I later figured it out and now it is running perfectly.

    BUT... after temporarily giving up on SAS, I saw a few comments on here that recommended CG (who I had never even heard of until coming here). So, I signed up with them.

    THEN... upon becoming more active on ABW, it seems that SAS is highly popular so I wanted to join them as well. However, it seems that many experienced and knowledgeable affiliates on this forum suggest SAS exclusivity and, contrary to the CG recommendation I previously received on here, that CG was actually probably not the best network.

    My plan was to purchase an affiliate announcement where I would announce being on both CG and SAS in order to allow the affiliates better options. It now seems like a bad idea.

    I already purchased and am live with CG but am seriously considering biting the bullet and just taking a loss with CG by canceling my membership and going exclusive with SAS.

    Is there a "pulling out your hair" emoticon in the smilies list?!

  11. #11
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    Are you getting any value out of CG? If so, you might want to contact your top affiliates and see if they would be willing to follow you to SAS.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  12. #12
    Member lookingfortips's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 13th, 2007
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Are you getting any value out of CG? If so, you might want to contact your top affiliates and see if they would be willing to follow you to SAS.
    Honestly, no. I registered "my" first company with CG about 3 weeks ago (but I am more of an aff manager and investor instead of an actual owner). It has about 50 affiliates total and 5 active affiliates. However, my partner (and actual owner) does not want to leave CG.

    But the company I actually own was registered with CG about a week ago and finally went live Friday night. I have about 10 affiliates on that one and only one has active links posted that I could see. So no, it wouldn't be a massive issue to cut my losses and fire off an email to let my existing affiliates know. I don't have any say-so in the other one- the final decision is my partner's and she has already said no. But I am seriously considering scrapping my affiliation with CG and going solely with SAS.

    I just really liked CG because of the promotional packages they offer. From a merchant's perspective it seemed nice to have them promote you.

  13. #13
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,930
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingfortips
    Is there a "pulling out your hair" emoticon in the smilies list?!


    type the words "pull" and "hair", no spaces, followed by a colon.

    hehehee.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~

    Glad you're listening. SAS Exclusivity would be a smart move.

    CG isn't doing you any favors. If you know what to look for, you'll find some serious problems there. Unfortunately, it's not so simple to observe these things. Don't trust me or anyone else though, research it further on your own. There's enough here at ABW to fill several books, search feature will get you to that stuff.

    Go outside of this place if any doubt remains, it's critical to your success that you understand the decisions you make now and going forward.

  14. #14
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,930
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingfortips
    the final decision is my partner's and she has already said no.
    Tell her to...
    1) Watch these videos to understand some basics:
    http://www.affiliatefairplay.com/adware_tutorial.html
    2) Get an old computer and download zango to it.
    3) inspect her cookies to make sure there's no CG affs cookies present.
    4) Browse her own site on that infected computer and see if anyone's targeting her domain name for popping CG cookies to claim they "made" a sale.

    Using Zango to claim sales for people already on her site isn't the only way to cheat for sure, but it's one of the most common modes at CG - because CG doesn't do anything to police it. I'd accuse them of being even more sinister regarding this popping method, but I'd rather send you off suspicious and eager to learn, than anything else.

  15. #15
    Member lookingfortips's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 13th, 2007
    Posts
    168
    Thank you Mike and Donuts!

    I just submitted my cancellation request to CG, updated the affiliate page on my website to say "Coming Soon," am finishing the final tweaks with SAS, will launch with them soon, and then will purchase an ad here as soon as it all goes through.

    If anyone would like to review my site and give me any additional tips while everything is pending, I would appreciate it. Now would be the time for me to make any updates while things are pending with CG, SAS, and my future ad. The obvious no-nos had already been fixed when I launched with CG (800 numbers, traffic leaks to my partner site, etc.) but I am open to any type of criticism to things I may have missed. PM me if you would like and I can send you the link. I don't want to post it in my profile until I am 100% ready to go and my ad is paid for.

    Thank you again!

    Test:

    Love it!

  16. #16
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    Several of the OPMs here offer complimentary evaluations. Pick your favorite and take him or her up on it. Also, spend some time in the threads in my signature, if you haven't already.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  17. #17
    Member lookingfortips's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 13th, 2007
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Several of the OPMs here offer complimentary evaluations. Pick your favorite and take him or her up on it. Also, spend some time in the threads in my signature, if you haven't already.
    Great, thanks! I will contact one (the only one I know) now and if they tell me "no" then I will understand. I actually have about four of your posts bookmarked, Mike, and have done my best to implement all of your advice.

    I will specifically look through your posts as soon as I finish PMing the OPM who I have seen around.

    I also ordered Geno's book so as soon as it gets here I will be going over it thoroughly.
    Last edited by lookingfortips; October 3rd, 2007 at 03:33 PM.

  18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Pearls.com Affiliates Earn Average $50-$100+ per transaction.
    By Pearls.com in forum Paid Announcements and Advertising
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 24th, 2015, 05:57 PM
  2. How to avoid pay two affiliates twice with a transaction??
    By jackzhang in forum Affiliate Marketing Tracking Software and Networks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 11th, 2008, 02:09 PM
  3. Voided transaction deducted but never credited?
    By bitzyd in forum ShareASale - SAS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 1st, 2003, 11:00 AM
  4. Dotster test transaction not credited
    By missdonna in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: February 1st, 2003, 06:44 AM
  5. Still Get Credited ?
    By redsand in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 29th, 2002, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •