ABW Ambassador
    Questions on domain name and registration.
    Some questions from someone whose going to be registering their first domain.

1) I think it would be better to register the name on my own, instead of with the hosting company. Thinking Godaddy be best? Also found Doster mentioned on here. Would that be wise, or cause more headache for me when it came to setting the domain up with the host?

2) Domains that are private in the whois info, I'm thinking I'd like to have it set that way. Is that done through where you register or the host?

3) The name that I think would be perfect is free as a .org, which is what I want. It is taken on .com though, but the website has nothing to do with the name or what I'd be doing. I came across threads mentioning you could lose traffic and if you want to build name recognition, it would be better to go with one not taken on the .com. Which I guess means I should go with something else?

I checked the name as (word)ing(word)(word) and it is free on .com and .org. Still digesting if I like that version, but that could be wiser to do?

And I used the nslookup on my computer, so those names shouldn't be disappearing on me. Found that in another thread.

Thanks!

Hi Hardaka!
    I have been using GoDaddy for a few domains in the last few years and I am very happy with it! Many people continue on reccomending it and it seems it's top choice right now so I'd definitely go with it!
    Good luck on picking a domain name! .com definitely sounds more professional, but go with your guts!
    The best,
    Last edited by Trust; September 30th, 2007 at 02:58 AM.

I think it would be better to register the name on my own, instead of with the hosting company.
    Never never ever let a webhost register a name in your behalf, not even if it is "free with any hosting plan". They usually register it in their own name. One of the first domains I had ever registered was done this way. When renewal time came up, I could not renew because the webhost ignored my requests to make payments, etc. So I lost a good domain (and a successful site) and that webhost renewed the domain and sold it for a pretty good amount of money. Another disadvantage here is that if your webhost is down, you do not have control over the domain, so you are down for as long as they are (which could very well be FOREVER). But if you have control of the domain, you can be up and running again on another host in 20 minutes flat.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    I was thinking right! But definitely know why now. That sucks what happened to you, but thanks for that info.

MissSunrider -> Yeah, if I was unclear, I wanted to go with .org. Gives what my site is about a more trusted feel in my opinion (Granted, trusted for maybe a 1 minute, till content can be read, then hopefully the trust continues). But from what I've read here, having the .com sounds like it would be wise, and I'd just redirect.

I don't know if you are aware of it, but Haiko runs a great domain registration service where you can do all the things you can do at Godaddy -- but give the business to Haiko.

Who do you trust more? LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    LOL, great suggestion there! Would be a nice way to give back for this great forum too.

I am wondering, how exactly do you access the domain, to switch host or something. Is that done through the registration service or some other way? And anyone know the part about keeping info private?

<---newbie lol

I used to get my domains from Eskhosting http://www.eskhosting.com

unlike other web hosting providers they register domain names that come with the web hosting package in customer`s name

as well they offer whois privacy service

I recommend them both as web hosting provider and company to register domains with

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks, I'm already fairly certain with whom I'm going to host with though.

writerguy, or someone who knows about Haiko's domain registration service, the privacy service offered, I was reading about it.. and got a bit confused. Does it mean the affiliate company whose info shows up in the WhoIs owns the domain or it just shows up while you get to keep ownership?

I also some what liked the deal on GoDaddy to get a .com, .org, .net, and .info with the private WhoIs who 60 bucks.. but, think that'd be overkill, the .net and .info. Don't see any deals for just a .com and .org for registration and privacy on either, unless I missed? But here it looked cheaper with no deals included.

Hardaka, I'm sure you keep ownership. The company which shows up in whois doesn't take ownership.

I have the service on one domain and, honestly, I've never had anyone try to contact me through that domain, so I'm not entirely sure how it works.

I'd suggest you simply contact Haiko with any questions or concerns. I'm sure he can explain the whole thing and answer any specific questions you might have.

I prefer his service because they've always been reliable, as cheap as Godaddy or cheaper, and I certainly appreciate his integrity and dependability.
    Generate more fake news.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    I don't know if you are aware of it, but Haiko runs a great domain registration service where you can do all the things you can do at Godaddy -- but give the business to Haiko.

Who do you trust more? LOL!
    I have 3 registered domains through Haiko and recommend them highly!

ABW Ambassador
    I'd suggest you simply contact Haiko with any questions or concerns. I'm sure he can explain the whole thing and answer any specific questions you might have.
    Good idea, after posting that I thought it would be better just to pm him.

Prices do seem lower too, which is always a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by martyogelvie
    I have 3 registered domains through Haiko and recommend them highly!
    Yes, and his service is the first I've found that I trust enough to simply register all my domains there. It's so much easier when I want to work with a domain nameserver setting just to have his service bookmarked, log in, and know I don't have a stray domain out there with a different registrar to track down.

I have 33 domains right now, and in past years I'd gotten them split up between 3 registrars and could never remember without looking it up which domain was where.

No problem now.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    And considering how long these forums have been around, I figure I don't need to worry about him just disappearing, since there would be a large angry mob of ABW'ers? LOL

Thanks for all the feedback, thinking I will go with him. Just waiting on a reply to my PM now.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread