I can't find my favorite links any more. I had two separate folders for product links I intended to use in the future, but I can't locate them now.

Is this due to the update, or is that part of the program still disabled?

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

Well, I spent some more time at CJ and found that the "October Release" has eliminated the Favorite Links feature, among others!

Thanks for the advance notice, CJ!

Actions speak louder than words, we know you don't care if affiliates get credit for our visitors clicks, you've already said so! And now it's obvious you also don't care about the time we spend trying to update our sites so we can make more money!

I spent quite a lot of time searching through products on the VERY SLOW CJ interface, and saved them in my Favorite Links folders for future use. Now, all that work is GONE! With no advance notice whatsoever, and no consideration for the time I spent looking for them.

Time is money. Thanks for nothing!

Andy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm with you in this fiasco Andy. I used the rotating individual product displays too in order to overcome the CJ parasite partnerships and those darn "incent" BHO shopping -bars and PopUPs at the point of sale. My income from CJ dropped 74% since July due to them allowing these guys to cherry pick our traffic and feed off of our pre-sell text. Combined CJ merchant clicks for me since Oct 1st is 1856. Total earned commissions $9.47 and they same time frame last year, with less clicks, earned me 184.35.

A single paper would be submitted with recommendation terminology for binding the networks -merchants and affiliates to honest and ethical business practices defined by laws in the brick-n-mortar world. The legal minds and major stakeholders in affiliate marketing are all firmly rooted in the retail/advertising industry, which is governed by existing consumer protection laws. We need to circumvent the excuse that something abusive to us or merchants is not covered by a specific internet law making it illegal. If an action by an affiliate-merchant or network isn't honest or ethical then it must be eliminated as an acceptable practice til determined illegal.

Therefore step #1 is to create a "Honesty & Fair Practice" statement that gets put in the top of all network Terms of Service (TOS).

"In order to utilize the the services offered by [insert network name] all affiliates and merchants, as defined below, must agree to use honest and ethical business practices as defined by existing USA and International business and criminal laws. Any action -representation or software application that circumvents or violates existing or future laws will be just cause for immediate termination from the [insert network name] affiliate network with loss of all benefits and acrued commissions."

: How can we trust the networks to spell out a restrictive policy on "affiliate BHO Applications" when they can't even define what a merchant is or isn't.

MERCHANT:**** -A licensed business who collects money for products or services and takes responsibility for the delivery of the same to their customer. Merchants agree to pay all commissions incurred by honest affiliate sales activity in a timely manner without any deceptive practices. Those entities who agree to pay commissions on the [insert network name] network trackable actions, who are not involved in delivering a billable product or service, will be clearly marked as "special class merchants" during the affiliate signup process.

AFFILIATE****An easily identifiable hosted domain who seeks commissions for driving targeted traffic to [insert network name] merchants using trackable affiliate coded links assigned to them. In order to qualify for a commission an affiliate has to originate the trackable click from their own authorized domain or from an e-mail marketing piece identifying their authorized domain.

Best practices recommendations for adding to the merchant profiles prior to affiliate signups.

1.Publish return day cookie durations and whether merchant allows for repeat sales during the active cookie period.
    2.Clearly show the commission rate and qualification terms, minimum acrued amount for cutting a check and payment frequency.
    3. Clearly Identify all "special class merchants".
    4. Clearly mark that a test purchase, done by the network compliance team, was completed every month to verify merchant sales tracking.

The Angry DUCK has spoken!!

WebMaster Mike

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I'm with you on this on Andy. Same thing happened for me. I just spent a lot of time reviewing products and comparing the different merchants that carry the same product deciding who I wanted to go with. I just added the products to favorites and then was going to go join all the merchants at once when I was done. All that is gone now.

Plus if you try to find the products again by going through the catergory products lists, you get "no products." You have to find them through the product search. First I don't even remember all the stuff I had found, let alone what the merchant may have had for their keywords for the product.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Gee Mike, you make it all sound so...

simple!

That would never work though, because the corporate bigwigs in America have to find a way to make it complicated, hard to understand, and hard to enforce.

I am still really steaming about the Favorite Links folders, though. Today was the day I actually needed to update a couple of my pages with those links. Now I have to find the time to start over from scratch.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Andy

quote:
    BLFH wrote:

First I don't even remember all the stuff I had found, let alone what the merchant may have had for their keywords for the product.

That's exactly right! And now we don't even have the functionality to save products we come across by chance that might be useful to us. I always found things that I wanted to use, but didn't have the time to do anything with right away.

I would have to give this update an F- grade for lack of insight and consideration.

Andy

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    And now we don't even have the functionality to save products we come across by chance that might be useful to us.

I guess I'm going to have to start keeping a pen and paper handy to jot them down. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Aren't we a little off topic here Mike?

Affiliate Network Rep
    Let me extend a humble apology for not giving advanced warning regarding the removal of favorite links. This was something that we intended to do but appears that we let slip through the cracks.

To make up for it, if you have lost link lists and would like to their contents, please create an incident through our support option with the subject line "Request for CSV of Favorite Links". Client services will forward this request to me and I will mail you a CSV file containing your link information.

To create an incident report, go into your account and from the support drop down select "ask a question". Then from the category drop down select general Q & A and other. Please make sure to send your CID (company id) with the request.

Regards,
    David.

[This message was edited by David Elam, CJ.com on October 15, 2002 at 01:10 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    What exactly is a CSV file. What is CSV short for?

David,

Thank you for your kind offer to mail me the contents of my former favorites file. Unfortunately, I didn't see your message until after I had already completely changed my pages using other links.

I understand mistakes happen, but please make sure whoever posts messages at CJ lets us know next time so we can take precautions to preserve our work.

Thanks,
    Andy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Affiliate Network Rep
    Sorry again Andy. I totally understand.

Cyclone, a CSV file is a comma seperated value file. Any spreadsheet can read it.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread