Here's an e-mail I just received from Overture:

Dear Overture Advertiser,

We are pleased to inform you that, earlier today, Overture announced plans to acquire pioneering search company AltaVista. This acquisition reinforces our commitment to search and to providing you with new and powerful ways to connect with potential customers on the Internet. It also represents yet another step in our drive to accelerate and enhance our product development capabilities for both our advertisers and partners.

Since its debut as the first full-text Internet search service in 1995, AltaVista has been a recognized leader in search technology, constantly innovating to help users find the most relevant information available on the Web. AltaVista's advanced algorithmic technology will enable us to offer a superior Web search solution to portals, ISPs and other destination sites, as well as to create new marketing opportunities for our 80,000 advertisers.

As you know, AltaVista is also one of Overture's top affiliate partners, attracting sophisticated search users who are an excellent source of qualified traffic for our advertisers. Through the acquisition and going forward, AltaVista will continue to operate as a search destination and display Overture's paid search results to its users. Overture will also continue to provide, and ultimately grow, AltaVista's paid inclusion service, giving you another online marketing vehicle for driving targeted leads.

As the acquisition is finalized over the coming months, you'll hear more about how this development will help you build your business. In the meantime, you may wish to review a list of frequently asked questions, available at the link below

http://www.overture.com/d/USm/ac/su/faq_da.jhtml

Alternatively, you may contact us using the Support Request Form, available under the Support Center tab within the DirecTraffic Center(R).

Sincerely,

Your Partners at Overture

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Lol,

I dropped about $79 getting a page listed on Altavista for 6 months as I was enticed by the novelty of displaying an icon with my listing. 2nd biggest waste of money this year.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Heh, I had it in my mind that a search portal would end up buying Overture out, not the other way around!

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

It's really sad how far Altavista has fallen.

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

ABW Ambassador
    I just don't get it ..

Why in the world would Overture want AltaVista ?

Could they be planning on using AltaVista as the database to insert and distribute the paid advertiser / Overture listings , as opposed to Inktomi as it is now ? Ya think Yahoo has their own plans for Inktomi that don't include Overture ?

I get the strange feeling that some HUGE changes are headed our way AGAIN on the search engine scene come mid spring/summer .

ABW Ambassador
    Spot on, Lisa. There are potential partners for Overture that want a merged product (ie: sponsored listings plus algorithmic backfill). Currently, Overture doesn't have a product like this. Once they buy AV, they will.

I think it's going to be a very interesting year in the search engine marketing field. Finally a better spread of SEs worth optimising for after nearly two years of All Google, All The Time, Everywhere.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    I think there is some positioning going on here ahead of a possible IPO of Google and big changes will indeed be happening over the next 12 months.

The AltaVista buyout is very questionable though. After many years they were still break even at best, so I can't understand the need to blow $140M, especially if it is to provide backfill (Inktomi has been providing backfill and they weren't making much if any profit).

The best case scenario for Overture shareholders is if they build the AV brand, technology, and reputation to actually compete with Google. Then they can spin it off for a billion or two a couple years down the road.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    It just seems like every search portal is going to want to own their own little version of Overture. I mean, why pay Overture if you can drive the business to your own placement or PPC product?

Overture's advantage is that they are established.... but there's a coupla fairly large PPC engines out there that might sell out for the right price.

It's going to be a very interesting two years, and the ones that adapt quickly will thrive!

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

Its all about consolidation in the SEO world it will be interesting here in the next year.

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread