One click amazon link building tool
    Hi Everyone,
    Quick question for you. My little start up Triggit has just finished building a tool where you can highlight piece of text and turn it into an affiliate link with the click of a mouse. We are trying to figure out if it would be useful for creating amazon links.

The way it would work would be that on your site, on any platform, you would highlight the text of a product like a book, and then click to automatically make that text an affiliate link to that product on amazon with your id. No more searching for the right URL and embedding it on your page. On click link creation. Would that be helpful? Its all done with javascript that records the links you want created and then send those changes to the viewer of your page.

Any thoughts, feedback or ideas?

Thanks
    Zach

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Sounds awesome but ...

(this is where the tech savvy guys come in and explain the pitfalls)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Tech limits
    Glad to hear you like the idea. We ought to be rolling it out in the next week or two. I don't know what technical limitations you are thinking of but at the moment our technology is working pretty well in testing.

ABW Ambassador
    Based on your previous post, does it still require a call back to your server to serve the page?

We don't serve your page. We are like an ad or widget server in that we just serve up the change to the page. For example, let say you use Triggit to make the name of a book into a link to Amazon. Your server will serve up your site normally and it will fully load with almost zero latency. Then, less then a second later, Triggit will serve up the change to the page that you made and change the name of the book into a link. It happens almost instantly and most people don't even notice that the change happened.

ABW Ambassador
    And so if someone adds all their amazon/affiliate links through you and your servers are down, slow whatever, the links don't load.... If people have javascript blocked, it won't load... if you go out of business, the links don't load and the work is lost...

Is it really that hard for people to make the links themselves to make the trade of missing sales? I really don't get the point.

And I don't see how you are monetizing the traffic yourself, so if it isn't worth your while, it will eventually not be... worth your while.

Chet

Chetf,
    You are absolutely right that if we provide sub-standard service that its not worth using our tool. On the other hand if we can make it significantly easier to place lots of links quickly it might be worth using it. Using our tool I can place about 15-20 deep linked Amazon links a minute into multiple pages of content. For someone who wants to create a lot of links that might be useful.

Zach

ABW Ambassador
    Zach, a good rule is - spend the most time on those things being shown/used the most. This is why if you have a heavy mysql page, you should see if you can cache it. The idea being, the thing being done the most - showing a web page - should be the cleanest, the hardest work - building the page should be where you are willing to spend your most time because you will get the most pay-off. You seem to have created a company to counter that theory...

But hey, I guess some webmasters just wildly throw out content, don't want to use an ad company that will auto-parse their pages and want to hand add the links "easily" so that they can then rely on you to serve their changed page everytime...

And how does your company make money from this?

Chet

Chet,
    I am not sure how to answer you first point. We don't anticipate that people with database driven sites will use our tool. Nor people with a lot of technical skill. The use cases we are really focusing on are people who maintain a lot of blog content or some other type of non database driven sites. Using our tool they can quickly ad a bunch of amazon links and ads into their pages but still maintain the power to choose what to link. Unlike Kontera or Intellitxt the publisher gets to select where they want to place ads.

On the money making question its pretty easy. If our technology is useful and people like it, making money ought to be no problem. We could set up click sharing, a pro version of the tool that we charge for, sell directly to advertisers or provide optimization capabilities that we take a cut from. We ran vertical ad network before we started working on this technology, the monetization is pretty easy. If we solve a problem for our users we will do ok.

Thanks a lot for the feedback and questions. As a young company we can use all the help we can get.

Zach

ABW Ambassador
    My database example, was just that an example... and that is optimizing something local, not something as your service, an external force. Delivering pages is what happens the most, not creating them, so saving time on the delivery is the most important, your product impedes that.

The second paragraph makes it pretty clear and why I asked... use it now free!! Oh and to keep using it, we are going to start taking money from you...

So here is what will happen. You will snooker a few fools into using it, newbies who don't understand. They will start using it, you will realize you need to make some money, so you will ask for every 5th click or some crap... the newbies will post here upset and feeling like they were ripped off. You will post about how people don't understand, the technology, how you are going to patent this etc etc... a few people here will back you up because that is what they do, defend things they don't understand.

A year later, all that will be forgotten and you will realize no one is so lazy to use your product since it really doesn't do much and ends up having a negative impact on their sites. You will close down. Open up some other bad idea in an industry you aren't a part of, but you think you know better than, you will make claims that the money will be easy because you created this technology that revolutionized the affiliate industry... blah blah blah...

I really don’t care because it is obvious, you haven’t been relying on affiliate marketing for your living… And I am sure if I respond again someone will claim I am being a bully and you are great for offering this “technology” for free… blah blah blah… but for any newbie, feel free to post a question before you signup for this, it is just such a bad idea I can’t help but warn people away from it.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Thanks Chet. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Wow, thats the first time I have been flamed on a forum. As a long time reader and poster to lots of advertising and affiliate forums I have seen it many times but never had it happen to me. Thanks for doing it in such a gentle manner Chet.

Your point, just like last time, is a good one. If we provide a do nothing service and try to charge for it then we are wasting our time and everyone else's. You will have been right and we will go out of business. Thats what business is. You provide a service and if it has enough value then people will be willing to pay for.

The only argument I would make in response to your problem with the ads being served from our site vs yours is that your position seems to rule out the use of third party ads servers altogether.

Thanks again for the feedback and criticisms.

ABW Ambassador
    No, ad servers such as fastclick/vc/tribal etc serve ads that cannot be created or hosted by the affiliate, affiliate links can. Your not understanding the difference only highlights your complete lack of understanding of affiliate marketing.

That may be what business are for, you seem to have had few... but what successful business are - They provides a needed service to a customer base that either is requesting the service, or wants the service once they realize what it is.

You are just creating a business on a bad idea, an idea you don't even understand why it is bad, how it impacts affiliates, how affiliates work, usual methods for delivery, etc, etc, etc

And flame? Warning other affiliates from getting caught up in your bad idea isn't flaming, it is just common sense. You really should have learned in college to understand the industry you think you are saving, before you try and save them.

Chet

Thanks Chet. Seeing as we haven't even launched the product yet or show it to anyone I really appreciate your denigration and criticisms. Its great practice for me to develop a thick skin. Keep up the good work.

Zach

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread