Question GSI GiftCtf. Policy? Er...Huh?
    I just got this and I need an interpreter. What are they talking about?
    I know - I'm showing my stupidity again but I don't even know what GSI is...although I am an affiliate of some of the merchants they listed.

Here is the email --

GSI Gift Certificate Policy

Hello,
    Thank you for promoting our partners! We wanted to take this opportunity to update you regarding GSI Commerce's Gift Certificate Policy.

In the next week or two you will begin to see updates about gift certificates. GSI will no longer be commissioning on them and therefore we have to create new baseline offers that exclude gift certificates. Additionally, we will be updating our terms and conditions to reflect this new policy. Thank you for your patience in this process!

Please see list of GSI Partners below:
    - shop.nickjr.com
    - shop.pbs.org
    - blades.com
    - progolf.com
    - rawlings.com
    - store.nascar.com
    - store.reebok.com
    - shop.rockport.com
    - store.houstontexans.com
    - dunhamssports.com
    - dickssportinggoods.com
    - fogdog.com
    - joessports.com
    - mcsports.com
    - modells.com

- cbssportstore.com
    - olympiasports.net
    - sportchalet.com
    - sportsauthority.com
    - acehardware.com
    - radioshack.com
    - zales.com
    - baileybanksandbiddle.com
    - lnt.com
    - shop.nhl.com
    - NFLShop.com
    - NBAStore.com
    - Wilsonsleather.com
    - Toysrus.com
    - Babiesrus.com
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    They're the people running the affiliate program for all those merchants. They won't be paying any commissions on gift certificates:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=93120

Thanks Trust. That's good to know.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I was under the impression that most gift cert/cards were not commissionable anyway.

Last year during the holidays I posted gift cards offers only to find out later that I didn't earn a penny on it. It makes no sense. Every article you read about retailers and gift card mentions how profitable a business it is simply because so many go unredeemed. It's not like they give out the cards for free. It's a sales transaction just like any other purchase. Not only do they make a profit from it when it goes unredeemed, but (I believe) they do not have to show it as a sale (tax wise) until redemption.

"According to the National Retail Federation, an estimated $24.8 billion was spent on gift cards in 2006, a gain of 34 percent compared to 2005, $4.7 billion was never used."

"Consumer Reports estimated that in 2005, 19 percent, or about 23.3 million Americans, never spent their gift cards."

Plus many retailers will decrease the value of the giftcards if it is not redeemed within a certain amount of time...like a maintenance fee because they have to keep a record of it.

Anyway you look at it, gift cards mean pure profit to retailers...and they cut out the affiliate comm. too! Bad business ethics is all it says to me.
    leeann

There was a good post about gift certificates, and how they reflect on a merchants books. Let me see if I can find it.

In the truest of senses Leann, you are correct, and all of the merchants I've talked to personally have agreed with you.

But due to some accounting practices, in many cases, unused gift certificates actually reflect as a liability on some merchants books, as oppsed to the "pure profit" scenario. That's where the difficulty lies.

Let me see if I can go find that post...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I am just speculating, but can't you cash in your gift card well past the normal return days for purchased items with some merchants?

Here's one of them, but I think there was another that I'm having trouble finding: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ft+certificate
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I am just speculating, but can't you cash in your gift card well past the normal return days for purchased items with some merchants?
    I used to be a regional manager for a major clothing chain and the way most retailers handle refunds on giftcards is by offering it in a form of store credit, only refunding it when it reaches a certain (low) balance, or some (fewer and fewer) may give a full refund, but generally within the extended holiday return period.

Either way, it's no different then buying a pair of jeans as a gift for someone and never sending it, then going back to the store to return it or just letting it sit in the back of a closet forever. The only difference is how the retailers record the transactions and this is done for tax purposes. They don't want to pay the taxes for non merchandise transactions.
    leeann

Thanks Noth. I probably shouldn't be posting this all here, but in that thread instead. It just bugs me so much and I can't stop typing! lol
    leeann

Noth, the one you were looking for is the one Trust posted above. I would respond to it there, but for some reason there is no way to reply. It's just a tax scam really. There is no more liability in selling giftcards then in selling a computer. It's just that it can be put into a different column because that is where they choose to put it. Either way, no links should be placed on Linkshare (or CJ..etc) unless it's a paying link. Someone posted that somewhere else, but I can't find it either.
    leeann

LOL. I usually read Trust posts all the time, but I missed that one. One out of 16,000 ain't bad I guess.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Noth, the one you were looking for is the one Trust posted above. I would respond to it there, but for some reason there is no way to reply.
    Hmm, I can't reply to any of the threads there either, no reply button and they don't show up:

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread