OT - Pet Peeves
    I have a major pet peeve. I can't stand it when retailers instruct employees to refer to shoppers as "guests" and I really can't stand it when I hear employees referred to as "team members."

"Guest" works if you're at a hotel or invited to make a speech.
    "Team members" work if you're attending a sporting event or getting your car washed.

I also can't stand calling a store and listening to the run down of their promotion of the day.

Team Member - "Hello! Thank you for calling ............, today we have our sweaters at $10 off, jean are buy one get one free, and if you spend $100 we'll give you a $10 Guest Gift Certificate! How can I direct your call?"

Me: "Oh, I wanted to know what time you're opened on Sunday."

Team Member - "Thank you for allowing us to answer your question. I will direct your call to Guest Sevices and they will be able to help you."

Gag.......

In retrospect, if this is all that's bugging me, I must be in pretty good shape

Do you have a pet peeve?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Yes, right now I literally have a pet peeve. I'm trying to work and our youngest dog is staring a hole in me because he wants to go out.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest I guess I better get off my butt and let him out.

Hotels that have signs everywhere about saving the environment by not replacing towels and bed linen every day and then proceed to replace bars of soap, sponges etc every day.

Support lines that try to sell you additional products/services before they've even attempted to solve the problem you called them for. Why would I want more crap that doesn't work

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Animated banners on ABW when I'm online remotely to my home PC ... it takes forever to show each single frame before I can do anything

Sniff ...

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I have a major pet peeve. I can't stand it when retailers instruct employees to refer to shoppers as "guests"
    I took on a part-time position in the local history dept. of our library back in the Spring. Although I do the affiliate marketing stuff for a living, I really enjoy the library stuff as it gets me out of the house and I have been able to build a local history subsite for them. Anyway, the library calls visitors "patrons", but after 20 years that I spent in retail management I find myself still slipping sometimes and refering to them as "customers".
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    Thought of one. I hate when items are packaged in that hard plastic, where it's hard to open. I just got a new Norelco Shaver (was $80 off from Drugstore.com ) And that thing was a pain to open. Had to go at it with some scissors and knife and the edges can be very sharp, could easily cut yourself.

Oh and slow drivers, especially the ones in front of me.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I hate it when people RSVP to your wedding 4 days before the event.

Along the lines of what Trust said...

The packaging of any kids toy. First it was that danged wire wrap. Now they've got that "spiderman web" stuff too that you have to cut away! Holy Cow!! It's like they think this stuff is going to leap out of the box at someone walking by!! UGH!

~Bob

Or those kids toys that take a whole evening for several adults to piece together and stick the stickers on so that the toy actually looks like the photo on the box and not just a bag full of fiddly bits of plastic ... and yes ... I've been involved in doing it several times.

And ... no ... of course we didn't enjoy it .............

When I go to the local Walmart to buy a video game, ask the "team member" to open the glass case and they tell me, "oh, you can't have one of those games we lost the key"

Or when I call the local Walmart to find the number to their in-store barber and they simply don't have the number available.

Or when I drop my car off at the Walmart car service center for an oil change and I come out to find they left my car unlocked in the parking lot waiting to be looted.

And best of all when a huge retail merchant reduces my commission rates by 3-5X because their offline stores are mysteriously hurting.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Snib, you wouldn't be the least bit unhappy with Walmart would you?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Any CD! I can't open the cellophane wrap

I can't open the security closures

And I always end up ripping the cover when i peel off the barcode tape

And 1/2 the time, after it's open, I can't seen to pop out the CD!

Electronic components that are black - and the button names are recessed into the black, rather then printed in something like white

I have to get a flashlight and shine it on the gear to see "Play" "Rewind" etc.

Any expensive electronics (Wii, Xbox, PSP) that breaks within 3 months and you're always told it will be cheaper to buy a new one then to repair it

Prejudice, in any way/shape/form is my #1.

#2 Going into a business and the person working in there, getting paid to help you, has a phone stuck to their head, looks at you and gives you the "why are you bothering me" look, then they turn their back and keep talking.

#3 Ordering a veggie sandwich and getting nothing but a pile of lettuce with a pickle on top.

#4 "Support Our Troops" ribbons on any Hummer.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    This is going back several years, but I once called Dell Computer in need of a replacement part. I had to 'choose an option' eleven times before I reached a human for that specific niche. And, you guessed it, I ended up in the wrong department, and so they forwarded me and I then had to hold for five minutes. I felt like the butt end of a Dilbert strip.

The only other time I really got irritated was when Best Buy pulled a stunt on us. We bought a computer for Xmas. The store was out, but they stated that a nearby store had my computer in stock, and that they would ship that day to my home. They verified that the computer was in stock.

After one week, I called back, item was about to ship, give it a week.

After two weeks, item was really shipping, should arrive next day.

After three weeks, we started getting downright angry, but 'item had shipped'.

After three weeks and three days, no in fact, not shipped, it was out of stock, and they would not be getting that version in again, would I like a different pc? Asked for a refund, but refunds have to go 'through corporate'

After four weeks, check would be sent out shortly.

After five weeks, checkwriter was on vacation, but check had been approved.

After six weeks, and HOURS on the phone, threats of a lawyer, finally got my money back. Cashed check, went to Office Depot, had a computer in thirty minutes.

Let's see, sixe weeks, no computer with Best Buy, or thirty minutes with Office Depot for a working computer. Hmmmm. Where do I shop now?
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Well I had a work related one until I saw the post about the support our troops ribbon.

I can't stand that every school, club, etc. has started using those ribbons for their "cause".

I think that should be reserved for REAL causes. AIDS, Breast Cancer, our Troops. I just fume when I see one that says "Go Chiefs". I love the Chiefs, but dang the ribbon is even RED. It just seems to cheapen the whole concept of the ribbons when they are used for everything.

Whew! Sorry for the rant, but that one really bugs me.

Sheri

People who use the word - conversate. Why a pet peeve? Because it isn't a word.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread