Need good google sitemap utility
    Does anybody know of a good utility that will build hierarchical Google sitemaps? I have a site that has over 100K pages (main, category, subcat, subcat, product). A single sitemap will not work on here because it becomes way too big for google to digest. However Google has a way to make a site map call another sitemap. I didn't know if there were any utilities that would start at index.html and work their way down. The end result would be several .xml files, but at lease they'd be small and easily digestible.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

The best one out there, and it is FREE.

gsitecrawler[dot]com

Enjoy!

Thanks data. I downloaded it, installed it, and it will not run. Gets a missing component error on windows 2003. I've got an email into their Google group.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    [fyi... no sarcasm intended. I just reread my words and I did not want them misinterpreted]
    Last edited by PatrickAllmond; October 3rd, 2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: add sarcasm note
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

That's odd. I have never had problems with it before.

Hope it turns out for you

idiot error. I installed the update only but not the full. Started from scratch. Looking good so far. Up to 2000 pages. I'll report back when it has all 130K done.

[high five]
    ---
    ---

I have used xml-sitemaps dot com, work's great and no need to install anything, but the free version will only scan 500 pages.

Thanks kse. I might use that for smaller sites. So far the one that was recommended above is working pretty well.

It is running pretty slow. Considering the site and where the sitemap has to go is on the same server I should be able to get this to run faster and not go out on the internet . It is having to go out to the internet to fetch the pages when they are right there on the local filesystem.

datalinks: Do you know if I temporarily updated my DNS files and pointed my site name to 127.0.0.1 if this would run any faster ?
    ---
    ---

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    It is having to go out to the internet to fetch the pages when they are right there on the local filesystem.

There could be things you forgot to upload - or delete - on your server

Just because you can click from your main page to "page B" on your hard drive, doesn't necessarily mean it can be done online

So it has to spider the online version - 'cause that's what everyone sees

Let me better express what I meant:

I am running a Windows 2003 dedicated server. That is where my website is hosted. I remoted into the server and installed this program mentioned above locally on the server (I didn't install here right here on my desktop) . So I have it running there and it is going out to mysite.com to get all of the pages. mysite.com actually will resolve back to this same server.

When it gets done and has a sitemap.xml all I am going to do is copy it from one folder to another. No need to FTP it because the site is hosted right there on the same server.

Odd setup I know.

Patrick
    ---
    ---

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread