Halloween very slow this season!
    This is turning out to be the worst Halloween season I've had in 3 years. Anybody else seen a decline in sales this year, or is it just me?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    it's my first year playing with any halloween merchants, so i have no idea whether we're declining or not, but halloweenmart at sas has been good to me.

take a look at their 7-day numbers published in SAS and it appears to be doing well, on average and the 7-day is rising above the 30-day as we approach the holiday.

should be good the next 2 weeks, maybe 3... hween is oct 31 (i think)... gives us ~28 days until then... allowing time for shipping and all, figuring it's about to ramp up now over the next several days and then start to decline around the 24th'ish...

but as i said, my first ween doing something really, so i really have no firm grip on it, just guessing at this point about what might come...

Not the case here, grumpy. Halloween is alive and well. sorry it's not for you -- it's incredibly competitive.

HalloweenMart has been a nice surprise this year. Congrats to Loxly for that.

The real test will be how well they're stocked. Out of stock is a MAJOR problem with halloween. Most merchants stock their shelves planning to run out so they don't have to sit on inventory for a year.

The last good day for halloween will probably be Friday the 27th which is the last day for inexpensive/free shipping in time for the 31st.

Just checked my stats for last year. Things didn't really start hopping for me til October 10th (no PPC last year for me). So, I think things are just starting to ramp up. The best is yet to come!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Thanks for the feedback guys although, reading your comments, it doesn't make me feel any better . For the past 3 seasons things started humming in August already, but looks like this time round I won't even qualify for a prize in the Buycostumes sweepstakes (first time ever!). Oh well I'll take whatever sales come my way over the next couple of weeks and try a different strategy next year.

ABW Ambassador
    Is it your overall conversion rate that is down? My sales are a little down but that's because my traffic is a little down, still converting about the same as last year, BuyCostumes and Fright Catalog, still my 2 best.

http and a telephoto
    I wasn't going to post because this is in the CJ forum, and this is my first year with a Halloween merchant as an AM, but sales appear to be *very* strong for us with several ABW'ers leading the pack. And thanks for the kind words

Are they just down for CJ Halloween merchants?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

On a related note:

While driving around with my wife doing some shopping this past weekend, I noticed more "Halloween" seasonal stores than I've ever seen before.

At one freeway off-ramp, we saw THREE Halloween stores, two across the street from each other on one side, and a third on the other side.

If you haven't encountered these stores: they temporarily occupy otherwise-empty retail store space from late September through October 31, selling costumes and other Halloween-related stuff; some of these locations are replaced a short time later by "Christmas stores" or discount bookstores, which then disappear by early January.)

Optimists might say this demonstrates growing interest in Halloween products; s might say this demonstrates a frightening increase in empty retail storefronts.

(I don't have any sites or campaigns that focus on Halloween or related products, so I don't have any feedback on online sales.)

Quote Originally Posted by loxly

That's an interesting question, but it's one I can't answer because I swapped out most of my CJ Halloween merchant links for HalloweenMart. Hehehehe...
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

http and a telephoto
    Mark, out here Halloween storefronts are everywhere, at least one in every strip mall that had an empty space (they ALL have an empty space). With people in costume pointing you in. So offline hawkers could be affecting online sales in some locations.
    Deborah Carney

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I just looked at the 30-day and 7-day EPC trends for BuyCostumes and FrightCatalog at CJ. In both cases, the 7-day is running quick and high, away from their 30-day averages.

I suspect the heat is just going up now and everyone in this sector will feel it very, very soon.

But I still think SAS's HalloweenMart is the way to go... darn $1,000+ order I had recently has me completely biased. :-)

http and a telephoto
    Carrie confirmed that they have plenty of costumes in stock, we are updating the datafeed twice a week, and may get 3 updates in next week. So if you keep current with the datafeed, you should be good to go....

And thanks everyone
    Deborah Carney

I just compared last year to this year and so far so good. Aug blew away last Aug. This Sept was better than last year. Traffic is up from last year but for some reason I can't pull reports past Oct 2006 to compare. Mostly buycostume and Walmart sales.

Anyways, looking at last years stats it looks like starting about October 5th things picked up pretty good. The main event seemed to take place from about the 9th thru 17th and then sales started to drop off more and more each day.

FWIW the 9th was on a Monday last year so I'm guessing this coming Monday, the 8th will be the start of the main event. A day earlier this year

Grumpy, hopefully it will start up for you soon. If it helps any no Buycostume prizes this year like in the past. They decided to go with two drawings for different level affiliates for 10,000 instead of one. Maybe you will win that which will make for a great Halloween season. You know how lucky you and I are at that

ABW Ambassador
    "Traffic is up from last year but for some reason I can't pull reports past Oct 2006 to compare. Mostly buycostume and Walmart sales."

Try:
    Performance Reports then click:
    Access the former Performance Reports. (for a limited time) then
    Website Performance By Advertiser - Pick whatever merchant
    Then Exact Period and you should be able to get them.

Ah ok, I can't get 2005, I can get 2006.

Thanks Trust but it still won't pull anything up for me past Oct 2006. I check the exact period button and tried the "website performance by advertiser" like you said but it keeps pulling up todays stats Maybe just a temporary glich or something? I really wish CJ would go back two more months in the pre-selected period.

Halloween sales have exploded for us this year. Going very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy
    Grumpy, hopefully it will start up for you soon. If it helps any no Buycostume prizes this year like in the past. They decided to go with two drawings for different level affiliates for 10,000 instead of one. Maybe you will win that which will make for a great Halloween season. You know how lucky you and I are at that
    Hey Packster!!!!! Long time no see . I thought you had won the lottery or something and decided to blow off affiliate marketing. Nice to see you back and that you're doing well with your Halloween campaign. Perhaps your posting here will bring me some luck too. Take care.

I did a comparison of Sept 2006 to Sept 2007. Clicks were up by 1%, Average sale amount was down by 5%. Total sales $ were down by 29%. I don't think my traffic is less targeted than last year, it's search driven and very focused.

IMO, the competition is tougher this year because there are several more online Halloween merchants and many more affiliates. The consumer may also be shopping around more and doing more price comparison or simply looking online and going to their local retail store.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    Hey Packster!!!!! Long time no see . I thought you had won the lottery or something and decided to blow off affiliate marketing. Nice to see you back and that you're doing well with your Halloween campaign. Perhaps your posting here will bring me some luck too. Take care.
    I have as good of a chance as winning the lottery as I do the 10 grand we always dream about Grumpy. I'll drop you a pm tomorrow sometime to catch up and compare

Cathy, it does seem like the comp and the amt of stores has increased quite a bit. I know so far today is slow and the sales that are coming in from CJ are pretty small. I hope the batch merchants make up for it tomorrow

ABW Ambassador
    In previous years I had thousands upon thousands of clicks with zero sales. This year I've had a few sales, but nothing to scream about.

I think Halloween traffic is very fickle. Most of traffic is just wanting to look at spooky graphics or to get costume ideas.

Maybe it's the slowing economy, so people are saving in elaborate Halloween stuff..

Considering this year we have at least 10X the halloween traffic I wouldn't say there is any problem. Perhaps others have just gotten the traffic.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread