ABW Ambassador
    Facebook Flyers
    Anybody try this out yet?

http://www.facebook.com/flyers.php

At $2 CPM, it seems a bit high, but if you're able to target well and have a high-paying, high-converting offer that appeals to fairly geeky people, it might be worthwhile.

The minimums are small enough, though, that I might give it a shot to see if it converts for me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    You can also pay per click, they call it Flyers Pro

http://www.facebook.com/flyers/create.php

I'll mess around with it this weekend when I have a little more time.

http and a telephoto
    I've been thinking about it, but I don't click on them. I actually don't pay attention to the ads on Facebook at all. I wonder who does? There is so much content from friends that I don't explore at all.

Apps would seem to be a better way to spend advertising $$$ because people recommend them and they virally get passed around and build traffic instead of just generating clicks.

It would be interesting to see a study of a company that used both apps and flyers and see what kind of results they get.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Neat. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

Edit: That was to Trust, lol.

You don't want to use Flyers Basic. The CPM model just costs too much. I've been testing Flyers Pro and have had some interesting results. Flyers Pro is their new PPC system where you can bid as low as $.01 per click. So far in my experience I need to bid at least $.10 to get some volume.

What's different about this and AdWords is Flyers have a shelf life. Once you create one you'll get maximum impressions, but it'll taper off within a day. I've yet to create a Flyer that lasted longer than 24 hours. After that they slow your impressions to a crawl and you've got to create a new Flyer.

So far my best advice is to use the maximum height of the image space. I believe the dimensions are 110x220. I've had much better CTRs with a tall, attractive banner. I haven't had much luck with the keyword targeting. The impressions just aren't there for certain keywords. But the age and gender filters work quite well.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm also thinking the Facebook audience might be more apt to link, pass stuff one if they see something they like than say somebody doing a search on Google. But maybe Google is better with conversions. I guess lots of factors go into that. Will give a try, test it out.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Interesting for sure. About time they figured out how to montize their site before someone buys them.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe one day, you could just do MSN ppc and it'll show up there

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I've been thinking about it, but I don't click on them. I actually don't pay attention to the ads on Facebook at all. I wonder who does? There is so much content from friends that I don't explore at all.

Apps would seem to be a better way to spend advertising $$$ because people recommend them and they virally get passed around and build traffic instead of just generating clicks.

It would be interesting to see a study of a company that used both apps and flyers and see what kind of results they get.
    I've been seeing many more eye-catching Flyers lately. The right image is really key to generating clicks. As we learn more about them and figure out ways to generate serious traffic and revenue I'm sure you'll notice them a lot more.

Apps aren't advertisements. They're full-fledged websites with a Facebook wrapper. In fact I'm finding that using Flyers to advertise Apps is really the way to go. Apps don't generate traffic on their own unless they're very viral and even in the world of Facebook not everything is viral. That's where Flyers come in to hopefully jump start your App.

- Scott

http and a telephoto
    That was my thinking Snib, flyers to advertise the apps. And yes I know the apps aren't advertising, but it's the same pool of money, just spending it on developing an app instead of on clicks that may or not have value. The apps stick around and hopefully get passed around, so better long term value. IMO.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I'm also thinking the Facebook audience might be more apt to link, pass stuff one if they see something they like than say somebody doing a search on Google. But maybe Google is better with conversions. I guess lots of factors go into that. Will give a try, test it out.
    Google is definitely king of conversion. Facebook isn't a place where people go to shop (just yet), but it is a great place to collect engaged users. These users are familiar with social software and are willing to try something new, so if you've got a nice "web 2.0" site you might want to advertise it on Facebook. But an even better course of action would be to create a Facebook App with interactive features then run some Flyers promoting your app. You'll get a lot more usage advertising with Flyers over AdWords.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think it matters if your site is "2.0" or not, just that it's good

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    That was my thinking Snib, flyers to advertise the apps. And yes I know the apps aren't advertising, but it's the same pool of money, just spending it on developing an app instead of on clicks that may or not have value. The apps stick around and hopefully get passed around, so better long term value. IMO.
    Oh I definitely agree that spending money on an App first is the way to go. If you're running Flyers to an outside site you're taking people out of their beloved Facebook experience. Keep them inside Facebook and they'll be much more engaged and likely to review your offering.

- Scott

I don't think it matters if your site is "2.0" or not, just that it's good
    I'm just saying that this traffic is best used for "2.0" sites. These users won't buy anything, but they *may* interact with your site and hopefully supply some user generated content. If your goal is to sell to them you won't have much luck at this point in time.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    I'm going to have to disagree. They have credit cards right? I've also heard of some very successful stories already with using this, depending on what you're selling and how you're targetting. There are millions there, they're just like other people, they spend money, they shop. I also see it in the keywords when you make a flyer In the keyword box, try some different keywords.

"If a certain major or key word does not appear in the drop down list, there are not currently enough users to satisfy the targeting criteria you are requesting."

There are some major ones I don't see but some major ones I do, so the shoppers are there.

I'm going to have to disagree. They have credit cards right? I've also heard of some very successful stories already with using this, depending on what you're selling and how you're targetting. There are millions there, they're just like other people, they spend money, they shop. I also see it in the keywords when you make a flyer In the keyword box, try some different keywords.

"If a certain major or key word does not appear in the drop down list, there are not currently enough users to satisfy the targeting criteria you are requesting."

There are some major ones I don't see but some major ones I do, so the shoppers are there.
    Let me know when you get people to buy after clicking a Flyer I read an article about somebody who promoted lead based scholarship offers and did well, but Facebook put an end to that. You can probably get a positive ROI with this system, but right now it's tough.. especially in retail.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    Snib:

So if a keyword does appear, there are enough users to satisfy the targetting criteria you are requesting. Put shopping into the box and I get:

You are targeting people in the United States who like I Love Shopping.

"These users won't buy anything,"

I think the people who Love Shopping would disagree with you I know you're into web 2.0 stuff but c'mon. Web2.0 sites are not just for Web2.0 sites. It's like the other discussions we've had about social bookmarking. You can social bookmark any site. You can use Web2.0 sites to promote your plain html site or whatever site.

So if a keyword does appear, there are enough users to satisfy the targetting criteria you are requesting. Put shopping into the box and I get:

You are targeting people in the United States who like I Love Shopping.

"These users won't buy anything,"

I think the people who Love Shopping would disagree with you I know you're into web 2.0 stuff but c'mon. Web2.0 sites are not just for Web2.0 sites. It's like the other discussions we've had about social bookmarking. You can social bookmark any site. You can use Web2.0 sites to promote your plain html site or whatever site.
    All I can say is try it I know exactly how you feel and I've been there myself several times. I've tried every "Shopping" keyword they've got and I just couldn't get consistent traffic (yet alone converting). I think what needs to happen is more mainstream consumers need to join Facebook and they need to see it as a productivity resource where they can do their shopping, weather, calendars, news, etc. Right now people see it as a game and don't take it seriously enough to be pulling out credit cards. But I do expect this to change very quickly and once the ball gets rolling I'll be right there to give it a push.

- Scott

If anyone wanted to try out facebook flyers I would hold off on it. I have 2 flyers running here are the stats.

Date Clicks Impressions
    Started Oct 19 4 22,900
    Started Oct 19 3 2,799

Ive come to the conclusion much like others have that visitors to face book really have no interest in the ads or clicking on them. It was worth a shot though.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerNuts
    If anyone wanted to try out facebook flyers I would hold off on it. I have 2 flyers running here are the stats.

Date Clicks Impressions
    Started Oct 19 4 22,900
    Started Oct 19 3 2,799

Ive come to the conclusion much like others have that visitors to face book really have no interest in the ads or clicking on them. It was worth a shot though.
    Oct 23, 2007 151 28,921
    Oct 22, 2007 92 24,833

- Scott

The click thru rate (CTR) is very low, but the impression volume is definitely there. The fact that it is PPC allows for more testing than when it was solely CPM basis. Its definitely worth testing...

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread