Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Inexpensive Domain Name Registration?
    I was looking to register a few new domains. So far, I have seen $9.99 for .coms. Anything lower out there?

$8.75 at abestweb . com/domains/

ABW Ambassador
    Lots lower:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=cheap+domains

But sometimes you get what you pay for. Looks like Godaddy went down from $9.99 to $6.95 right now.

ABW Ambassador
    Didn't see those prices posted at the website. Just on a google ad?

But as Trust mentions, you get what you pay for. I've been looking into where to reg a domain from, and if you go cheap you can get burned.

Not laughing at you, I just find it funny when $9.99 isn't cheap enough.

When I bought my first domain over 7 years ago, Network Solutions was about the only legitimate registrar around. There were others, but they were new and unknown. Network Solutions registration fee was/is $35 a year.

I moved to Dotster about a year later (they were one of the new ones back then). I now have 32 domains, and always think what it'd be like if I was still with NS. I'd be paying $1100+ a year on domains.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Uh, Godaddy.com is cheap. $8.95 ($9.10 after icann fee). You can also find coupons that knock off 20% of that cost as well (they are all over the net).

GoDaddy Coupon: .com Domain for $6.95 - Code: hash3
    GoDaddy Coupon: Save $4 on a .com Domain - Code: OYH3

They should still work, I used hash3 last Friday, I think the OYH3 is new.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I'm getting quite attached to Dynadot.com

They have a great user interface, you don't get the endless upsell attempts like at Godaddy, and they make even have an affiliate program.

How about 1&1? .com $5.99
    (no setup fee)
    Generic domain

They provide a chart:
    Company One-year .com price
    1&1 $5.99
    Hostway $6.95
    Interland $7.95
    Web.com $7.95
    AIT Domains $7.99
    Go Daddy Inc. $9.20
    Netfirms $9.95
    Yahoo $9.95
    Verio $9.95
    RegisterFly $9.99
    Dotster $14.95
    eNom $29.95
    Network Solutions $34.99
    Register.com $35.00

Back in 2005 I bought a domain from 1&1 without hosting.
    At that time I was using "free webhosting" but I had so many problems with the "free hosting" that 1&1's package deal looked like a bargain to me.

You don't have to use their hosting.
    Last edited by Rhia7; October 3rd, 2007 at 10:39 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    $8.75 at abestweb . com/domains/
    Yup, I have all my domains here.

Give Haiko the business, I say. Let's all give Haiko the business!
    Generate more fake news.

Even if you pay twice the Godaddy rate, it would only be 6 freakin' cents a day when you divide the cost by 365 days. Get a grip.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    Even if you pay twice the Godaddy rate, it would only be 6 freakin' cents a day when you divide the cost by 365 days. Get a grip.
    Didn't know I was losing a grip. WTF!

ABW uses godaddy's reseller service, though I am not sure the coupons would work with it.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Godaddy coupon for $5 off if you spend thirty bucks...USA6
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Alex
    AlexBet.com - Professional Website Design, Website Development, Mobile App Development!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
    Benjamin Franklin

I didn't know about ABW reselling domains, though I'm not a fan of GoDaddy (inappropriate TV advertising IMHO). NameCheap has done well for me - I've got no complaints about them. Great coupons listed at http://www.retailmenot.com/view/namecheap.com

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the coupon website in any way - I found it via a Google search ("namecheap coupon"). That said, I am also not affiliated with NameCheap in any way...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

i am planning to transfer to other registrar as well

any more suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    I didn't know about ABW reselling domains, though I'm not a fan of GoDaddy (inappropriate TV advertising IMHO). NameCheap has done well for me - I've got no complaints about them. Great coupons listed at http://www.retailmenot.com/view/namecheap.com

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the coupon website in any way - I found it via a Google search ("namecheap coupon"). That said, I am also not affiliated with NameCheap in any way...
    Just a note that NameCheap is an eNom reseller. They are reliable because they are backed by eNom. (But, then again, I am also an eNom reseller - I did that a long time ago to offer registrations for some of my original site clients. But I no longer "resell" - just use the wholesale pricing for me ).

ICANN just had their first price increase (in many years) on October 15th. So many registrars are upping their reg fees by 45 or 50 cents.

As mobilebadboy mentioned, domains used to be a lot more. My first registrations were at Network Solutions because they were the only game in town - $35 per year with a two year minimum purchase. 70 bucks...Ouch!

Also, if you intend to register several domains, you can call up a company like Moniker - and they may offer you a lower price than what they publish on their site. Just ask.

But, for a few names, you can't go wrong with Haiko's service here at ABW - and it would be good to give him the business.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Yup, I have all my domains here.

Give Haiko the business, I say. Let's all give Haiko the business!
    I don't know what I was thinking, but with the hundrds of domains that I own, I never regged through ABW. Sorry Haiko!!!

I'm kinda ticked off at GoDaddy right now, they sent some lame a** $3.95 charge to a collecter for some reason, even though the hosting plan in question is paid up through next year. The collector threatened to 'close my GoDaddy account', so I fired off a note to GoDaddy suggesting that every time that dumba** called me I was going to move 20 .TV domains ( $40 a shot) to a different registrar. According to the sales rep at GD, his manager is out on vacation this week, so he can't help me until next week. All over a stupid $3.95, which was paid several months ago.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

some very cheap places do not offer bulk transfer

just forget them

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I am managing the Register.com program and we are shortly announcing a $9.99 domain and email promotion. We are also interested in working a system to allow easy bulk transfers. http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=97059

Haiko, just sent you an offer to see if we can earn some of your domain business.

Cheap Domains - Get what you pay for.
    GoDaddy is always competitive - just click through the adwords ad and you'll get the discount every time.

That being said, GoDaddy is not so great in more ways then one. I use Moniker - if you're going to use more then a few domains search Google for the namepros pricing and you'll get a significant discount..

Either way 6.95 or 9.99 is not that much. only makes a difference in bulk.

And I remember when domains cost $100 for the first year and then $70 each year. I also remember when NSI was InterNic, and you could still get a whole lot of ROI from that $100.. Those were the days, and these are the days, folks.

Caveat Emptor! Let the buyer beware.

The cheapest is not always the best. If you register and develop a domain into a successful Website then it becomes a very valuable piece of property. Would you want valuable property being controlled by an unknown, or relatively unknown company, just to save a couple of dollars?

Look at what happened with RegisterFly. They were fine while still a reseller of eNom, but when they became a registrar unto themselves and started competing on price and unfulfilled "promises," many people got stung in the turmoil. Or, a few years ago when some folks who sold their domains and got stung by having to pay Register.com $200 to effect a change of Registrant (owner) within the same company. That is no longer the case, because the new owners are working hard to overcome a lot of negative rep.

I have been recommending Moniker, eNom, and GoDaddy for the last couple of years. All are big companies and have been in business since the divestiture of the Network Solutions domain monopoly about 10 years ago. As far as I know, Moniker has never had a domain lost or hijacked. They are probably best known for the security of their system. And their prices aren't bad, either. eNom now is the second(?) largest registrar in the world and have excellent DNS management services (at no charge) for forwarding, masking, redirecting. eNom, however, is a bit pricy unless you have a lot of domains with them, then you can get reseller pricing. If you take advantage of their free services the reg fee is then reasonable. (Some places charge even more and then "nickel-n-dime" you on all the extras.) GoDaddy is well known for service and their Super Bowl Commercials (not that that makes them good) They are big and have been around a while and thier pricing is reasonable, including free domain management tools. Domains registered through ABW are actually done as a reseller of GoDaddy. I have several domains with GoDaddy, several dozen at Moniker and even more at eNom. I also have a few scattered at other registrars and am moving them to either Moniker or eNom as they come up for renewal.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast