Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Question Parasite EDU
    Yesterday in speaking with Ryan our AM he explained how surprised he was in talking to affiliates as to their lack of knowledge about parasites, no not fleas.

I thought it would be a good idea in an email - Newsletter to our affiliates to educate them about it all works and parasites affects their income.

Rather than just have us explain it to them, I wanted to link to a few concise posts on ABW and quote any other authoritative articles.

Any suggested links & articles would be appreciated.
    Last edited by PetsWarehouse.com; October 4th, 2007 at 07:20 AM.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

You can pick a few posts from here, but if you're looking for "concise" -- better put together something of your own.

Geno
    Last edited by Geno Prussakov; October 4th, 2007 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typo

Would be really nice if you could post the contents of the email you send out to this thread as well.

I for one am trying to learn what I can about parasites, and would be very interested in whatever you come up with.

Thanks for thinking of us affiliates!

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    You can pick a few posts from here, but if you're looking for "consice" -- better put together something of your own.

Geno
    Wow, I should have just read this link before posting my first reply.

Donuts - that's the most concise explanation I've heard. Thanks for taking time to put that together!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I asked this in the FireFox CashAddOn topic, but did not get a reply, so I will ask again for parasitic activity in general:

I propose that ultimately, the parasitic activity will be costly for the merchant, if they allow them into their program since:
    -Browser helper applications, if aggressive, will hijack PPC-driven visits.
    -Lower return rates on PPC will drive many affiliates out of PPC.
    -Lower return rates for affiliates will cause them to not maximize promotion efforts.
    -Less affiliate promotion, either by PPC or other, lowers merchant exposure.
    -Merchants are left to do more marketing on their own, resulting in higher costs.
    -Direct type-ins are hijacked, resulting in higher costs to merchant.

So the merchant trades a wide variety of marketing from many different affiliates for a narrow band of marketing from authors of browser helper applications.

I realize that only about 10% of sales may be diverted, but when the PPC for an affiliate is razor thin, that might be the difference between promoting and not promoting. Also, I see the CashAddOn FF toolbar add-on potentially having a higher appeal - and it requires no action on a pop-up as I understand, but automatically redirects to the CashAddOn affiliate link when at the merchant site.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I propose that ultimately, the parasitic activity will be costly for the merchant, if they allow them into their program since:
    -Browser helper applications, if aggressive, will hijack PPC-driven visits.
    -Lower return rates on PPC will drive many affiliates out of PPC.
    -Lower return rates for affiliates will cause them to not maximize promotion efforts.
    -Less affiliate promotion, either by PPC or other, lowers merchant exposure.
    -Merchants are left to do more marketing on their own, resulting in higher costs.
    -Direct type-ins are hijacked, resulting in higher costs to merchant.

I realize that only about 10% of sales may be diverted, but when the PPC for an affiliate is razor thin, that might be the difference between promoting and not promoting. .
    good points
    Bob Pets Warehouse

I put a newsletter together yesterday and sent to our affiliates, had several replys.

including

"Many thanks for that information.
    I've been somewhat suspicious about this for a while now."

and

"thanks very much for the article/information. I had once found my website being used as an extension to another url. Perhaps it was zango (it rings a bell). I did some investigating, filed complaints and found the malware was somehow inserted into my computer.
    These people will try anything to steal and they must be stopped at all costs. Theft is theft. Thanks for the awareness"

---

"I'm going to be dropping those pet merchants that are in bed with the adware guys, thanks"

I think that's pretty good overall!

Bob Pets Warehouse

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread