SKU Volumes/Variety
    I was wondering how important the number of skus that a merchant carries is in the affiliates decision to work with a given merchant.

From a logical point of view (ok, my own opinion) is that it should be irrelevant if you think you can move a merchant's products. But that is just me.

Being rather young and small, I would rather have a solid inventory of product than hundreds or thousands of sku's with a few items of each.

Not that i am going to all of a sudden add a pile of products to our line up, I just would like an idea if my limited number of sku's are a barrier to attracting affiliates. The upside being, when you come to my site - you know what your getting.

Would love to hear

Josh

All things being equal, a larger feed wins. But you can still do well with a well-presented (beautifully categorized, with good images and descriptions) feed containing 100-200 products if your program/product line is attractive/competitive.

Geno

100 to 200 items.........ha ha funny funny

I am the manufacturer as well, so the chance of that ever happening is slim to none

I run a very thin organization and with a relatively niche product, so from my point of view, im more concerned with internal ops. Basically do one thing and try to do it well.

For some affiliates, the number of products is very important. For most, it's a relatively minor factor. For some, it's not important at all.

What's more important is that you have good depth within the niche(s) that you cover. If you're a poster site and you don't have any recent movie posters, it'll be a tough sell. If you're a shoe store and you don't carry any major brands, you better have some tremendous prices or some other competitive advantage.

For your specific situation, I think you're fine. I wouldn't recommend adding any other products unless they're very closely related (or complementary) to yours.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

we have a few more products in the pipes - one launching this week or next - a 21 inch tall box for taller boots, as well as some boot support/trees

When I see some the size of some sites in terms of sku's, I can't help but think they are drop shippers, which is fine if it can work for you, but most people we discuss drop shipping for lack the infrastructure to deal with the shipping issues ( tracking and pricing). Because we are set up for mail/order internet - drop shipping isnt a problem for us - it much easier for us to go up in order size (like a 200 to 300 unit wholesale order) than it is for a manufacture/wholesaler to do light bulk/individual orders.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread