Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    $400 laptop karma
    Just read about this in the NY Times today, and it literally made me say "Awww..." This organization called One Laptop Per Child has developed a new laptop thatís "spillproof, rainproof, dustproof and drop-proof. Itís fanless, itís silent and it weighs 3.2 pounds. One battery charge will power six hours of heavy activity, or 24 hours of reading. The laptop has a built-in video camera, microphone, memory-card slot, graphics tablet, game-pad controllers and a screen that rotates into a tablet configuration."

And it costs $200. However, the target market is the two billion educationally underserved children in poor countries. Catch is, if you're from a first world country, you can't get this. Now here's where smart pricing strategy comes into play.

For two weeks in November, you can buy one for $400. One gets sent to you, and the second is sent to a student in an impoverished country. AND, you get a tax decudction. More info here .

Full NYT Article Here
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Thanks for sharing this, Carolyn. This project has some amazing potential - if enough support can be mustered for it.

I've noticed that my own little girl is near obsessed with what I do all day (not the sitting on my butt part - the computer part). And I've seen countless other little kids not be able to keep from playing on the family computer any time a parent turns their back. What a great way machine for my girl to cut her teeth on (literally: the machine is drool-proof and she's only 6 mo's old...). And I definitely support the cause.

I, for one, have signed up to receive the email reminder for when these things hit the market. Thanks for the heads up!
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

http and a telephoto
    It has a linux operating system, how timely. I was just about to start a thread about linux.

This is a great product and program Carolyn, thanks for pointing it out.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Brilliant promo and good will idea!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

That is a great concept. Hopefully it does a lot of good for the children and help them create better lives for themselves and their families.

I heard about this project some time ago and how a couple of big name manufacturers were trying to squish this intiative!! Heart wrenching that they would even try.

Anyhow, I smell x-mas presents for some young ones around here
    KK

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    This is very cool. I wish someone would set up a comparable program to provide laptops for shut-ins and people with disabilities.

>sniff<

>sniff<

I think I smell a laptop in my future!

Thanks for the info Carolyn!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    Just read about this in the NY Times today, and it literally made me say "Awww..." This organization called One Laptop Per Child has developed a new laptop thatís "spillproof, rainproof, dustproof and drop-proof. Itís fanless, itís silent and it weighs 3.2 pounds. One battery charge will power six hours of heavy activity, or 24 hours of reading. The laptop has a built-in video camera, microphone, memory-card slot, graphics tablet, game-pad controllers and a screen that rotates into a tablet configuration."

And it costs $200. However, the target market is the two billion educationally underserved children in poor countries. Catch is, if you're from a first world country, you can't get this. Now here's where smart pricing strategy comes into play.

For two weeks in November, you can buy one for $400. One gets sent to you, and the second is sent to a student in an impoverished country. AND, you get a tax decudction. More info here .

Full NYT Article Here
    Wow so they changed the name from 100 laptop initiative to the one laptop per child.

So they are trying to get people to buy a peice of crap notebook for 400 dollars and they will donate another peice of crap to some kid in need.

While the idea may make you go AWWWWWW and thats such as great idea it's the stupidest thing ever and while I applaud MIT for wanting to get a 100 dollar laptop on the market for developing countries they have failed because the laptop cost more than 150 dollars.

You can easily buy a brand new HP notebook or dell notebook running the extreamly cheap Windows Starter that only cost 5 dollars with Microsoft Office that only cost 5 dollars with Microsoft Encarta that only cost 2 dollars and have a more reliable notebook for the same price.

Mind you HP or Dell or gateway would have to be willing to sell the notebook at cost.

The idea is to help these children, why tease them with such a sub standard machine such as crappy machine that these hand cranked laptops are. The purpose is to bring technology to these countries and educate these children but these machines aren't going to do anything for them the rest of the world would still be ahead of them.

If they want someone to pay 400 for a notebook they aren't going to use why not just have someone donate 400 dollars and buy a decent notebook for these kids.

When they announced the 400 dollar thing 2 months ago I laughed, I think AMDs 50x15 initiative is way better than this.

By the way they aren't doing this to benefit any children, they are doing it because they have all these crappy machines that the countries they want to sell them to dont want because their crap. So they have to get rid of them somehow so why not sell them for 400 dollars and make a 30 dollar profit on each.

If you really want to help some poor kid, go find one on the corner give him 400 dollars instead of buying the craptop.

Ok i must stop now because I really hate this program, i followed it from day one loved it from day one but I think it has failed badly and what they are doing now in my opinion is trying to scam people.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    What's really solid about this is the idea of socially conscious marketing...regardless of whether or not it's the perfect solution, at least it's a step in the right direction. Capitalism and greed will always be there, who would do anything at a loss? There must be profit somehow. That's the core of this, really.

What's the AMD 50x15?

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    What's really solid about this is the idea of socially conscious marketing...regardless of whether or not it's the perfect solution, at least it's a step in the right direction. Capitalism and greed will always be there, who would do anything at a loss? There must be profit somehow. That's the core of this, really. What's the AMD 50x15?
    What a great idea and what a great goal to benefit under-privileged children. Having just been blessed with our third grand baby this week, it made me pause and (once again) appreciate just how fortunate we, our children and their children are to have been born in a country that, problems and challenges aside, has so much to offer. I abolutely love the cause behind this philanthropic effort.

** Hmmm, makes me think..... "buy an emerald bracelet - get a second one sent to a child who does not have jewelry."
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

What's the AMD 50x15?
    http://50x15.amd.com/en-us/default.aspx?si=1

I'm Sorry, but I thought that there must be a Catch somewhere, I was not going to reply to this thread but, the HardwareGeek post made me do it.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Wow so they changed the name from 100 laptop initiative to the one laptop per child.

So they are trying to get people to buy a peice of crap notebook for 400 dollars and they will donate another peice of crap to some kid in need.

While the idea may make you go AWWWWWW and thats such as great idea it's the stupidest thing ever and while I applaud MIT for wanting to get a 100 dollar laptop on the market for developing countries they have failed because the laptop cost more than 150 dollars.

If you really want to help some poor kid, go find one on the corner give him 400 dollars instead of buying the craptop.

Ok i must stop now because I really hate this program, i followed it from day one loved it from day one but I think it has failed badly and what they are doing now in my opinion is trying to scam people.
    I agree, If you really want to help some poor kid, go find one on the corner give him 400 dollars instead of going thru any affiliate program that will take a cut on those 400 dollars.

What's really solid about this is the idea of socially conscious marketing...regardless of whether or not it's the perfect solution, at least it's a step in the right direction. Capitalism and greed will always be there, who would do anything at a loss? There must be profit somehow. That's the core of this, really.

What's the AMD 50x15?
    Thank you Carolyn!

At least now I can once again confirm that "whether or not it's the perfect solution, at least it's a step in the right direction. Capitalism and greed will always be there, who would do anything at a loss? There must be profit somehow. That's the core of this, really."

BTW, I am not complaining about anything, I am just remembering that old famous spanish furniture commercial slogan "AquŪ lo que importa es El Cash!"

btw part 2: I like the exit pop-up on the AMD 50x15 site too :
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am not sure, but I haven't seen many $400 laptops that are made to survive what they have built or is powered by a crank (since many places have limited power). I am sure there could have been something better built, but it's a great first effort.

While these laptops are solid, well-built and adequate enough for the targeted kids, they seem more like a novelty item for regular computer users. So I would think $400 would be better spent when you buy two of these for the needy kids instead of getting one for yourself (consider if a million people did this).

Yes, the execution is not perfect but the idea is great. Millions of people will have access to a computer and internet, who without this effort may have never gotten the chance.

And I believe as demand and production grows (and the US dollar weakens), the laptops will come down to their original goal of $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    While these laptops are solid, well-built and adequate enough for the targeted kids, they seem more like a novelty item for regular computer users. So I would think $400 would be better spent when you buy two of these for the needy kids instead of getting one for yourself (consider if a million people did this).

Yes, the execution is not perfect but the idea is great. Millions of people will have access to a computer and internet, who without this effort may have never gotten the chance.

And I believe as demand and production grows (and the US dollar weakens), the laptops will come down to their original goal of $100.
    This laptops aren't solid the first production model fell apart on stage when the MIT dude cranked it too hard, I saw one in person and it felt like a cheap toy that was just recalled because the paint contained lead.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    You can't please all of the people all of the time. Cheaply made, or adequately made, if it introduces underprivileged children to the basics of computing, capitalist marketing scheme or not, it is a better alternative than not having the opportunity at all.

I doubt that an impoverished child who has no computer skill or understanding is going to need a 5 gig processor and 2 gigs of RAM. Keeping it in perspective, what we are talking about here are kids that have no opportunity at all. At $400.00 I wouldn't exactly say that my first Tandy 16K tape drive computer hooked to a 13" B & W tv monitor in 1980 was a bargain either. But it was a start, and they didn't even donate a second unit.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Those who are calling this computer a $400 unit have misunderstood. It's a $200 unit. It just so happens that if you want to buy one for yourself, you have to buy another one for an underprivileged kid in a 3rd world country. I would challenge anyone to find any other laptop that runs $200.

HardwareGeek, did you realize that AMD's 50x15 program supports the One Laptop Per Child initiative (http://50x15.amd.com/en-us/news_news_olpc.aspx)?

As for using the $400 to buy two for other kids, I would prefer to buy one for myself to begin with for a couple of reasons. One: before I drop a lot of money in a cause, I would like to make sure that what I'm supporting is quality. I believe in the concept, but if the machine turns out to be a piece of poo, I'd prefer to not keep sending them to other kids. Two: having one around can serve as a great marketing tool. As friends come over and happen to see it, I will have an easy opportunity to talk to them about the initiative and perhaps get them involved as well. Third: I think my little girl would really like it. I don't want her playing with my work computers, but I want to introduce computers to her at an early age. What better way than with a computer that she can drool on as new teeth come in?
    Chris Sturgill

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    One of my minors in college was Environmental Studies. One course I took focused on environmental justice in underprivileged nations. All data that's been collected from these areas points to education (and women's equality) as the two surefire ways to raise people out of poverty.

Many underprivileged nations have isolated populations who don't have access to brick-and-mortar schools. To be able to bring education to these children who don't have access to formal education via a personal computer that doesn't rely on electricity could be a very powerful tool indeed.

Talking
    I would challenge anyone to find any other laptop that runs $200.
    And if you do find any link to a laptop that runs under $200, please, let me know about it!

Because I can really use any cheap laptop while I am in here: , My local TV guide don't have enough extra readable good lately. And I can't keep on dragging my tower PC in there again when I have to do a #2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Because I can really use any cheap laptop while I am in here: , My local TV guide don't have enough extra readable good lately. And I can't keep on dragging my tower PC in there again when I have to do a #2
    LOL....
    Chris Sturgill

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    To be able to bring education to these children who don't have access to formal education via a personal computer that doesn't rely on electricity could be a very powerful tool indeed.
    Well there's your real issue here, so a lap top is delivered to a kid living in a far away third world / under privileged location... and that kid has never used a laptop before, maybe never even seen a computer before... the local teacher(s) likely has limited knowledge, so without some well defined education plan behind this distribution I don't see it going very far.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    Well there's your real issue here, so a lap top is delivered to a kid living in a far away third world / under privileged location... and that kid has never used a laptop before, maybe never even seen a computer before... the local teacher(s) likely has limited knowledge, so without some well defined education plan behind this distribution I don't see it going very far.

Cheers

Chris
    I totally agree.
    Alex
    AlexBet.com - Professional Website Design, Website Development, Mobile App Development!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    so without some well defined education plan behind this distribution I don't see it going very far.
    I'm not sure I completely agree with this, but maybe I'm just in an argumentative mood...

Speaking for myself, I have learned very little of what I know about computers from any education plan, well-defined or otherwise. I wanted to build a web page when I was in middle school, so I went online and figured out how. Now I pay my bills doing web development. Most of the geeks I know have a similar story.

Sure formal education is important. I would say that formal education is incredibly important. But my degree in philosophy has very little to do with building web applications through CakePHP or my newest foray into learning RoR.

Do I think throwing a bunch of laptops at kids and running away is the best solution? Absolutely not. But I'd rather a kid have a laptop than not. At least then s/he can become accustomed to working with technology and realize that there's a whole different world outside of his/her own. Even if it's just to play the open source version of Tetris...
    Chris Sturgill

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    This laptops aren't solid the first production model fell apart on stage when the MIT dude cranked it too hard, I saw one in person and it felt like a cheap toy that was just recalled because the paint contained lead.
    No offense, but I'll take eweek's review, who actually used the computer, over yours:
    http://etech.eweek.com/content/deskt...et_the_xo.html

Regarding educating this children: They will learn everything about the computer in two weeks, tops.

One Laptop per Child is an education project, not a laptop project. Our goal is to provide children with access to libraries of knowledge, ideas, experiments, and art. Our hope is that this material will act as a window into the world, complete with examples and references on which to build.

(more)
    Here's a great overview of the entire project found on the OLPC Wiki including the vision, benefits and pilots that have already been done. It also talks about the different educational programs for students and teachers involved.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast