http and a telephoto
    Do you ubuntu?
    I spent Tuesday night this week blowing Vista off a laptop and installing Ubuntu (linux for those that aren't familiar).

Who's using it? Where do you get productivity software for it? It comes with Firefox, GIMP, a bunch of games, and Open Office all ready to run. And an email program called Evolution.

I need to install webediting software, php, mysql and perl and a bunch of other stuff, but am wondering if I can cut the learning curve a bit by asking what you folks that are already there are using And where to find it.

Yes, I plan to spend a lot of time at SourceForge.net
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Congrats and welcome to a new life, Deb

I love Ubuntu.

As far as apps and programs go, there's a wide variety of places where I go depending on what I need... most of the stuff you can find in the Add/Remove utility under Places in the menu bar. Otherwise, Google and ubuntuforums.org are your friends.

If you need an application that is "packaged" and don't have a good deal of experience unpacking things from .tar.gz's, I definitely suggest looking for .deb files. Ubuntu unpacks those nice and neat for you (just search for whatever you're looking for with .deb in the goog... like "gtwitter .deb").

There's really no end to all of the resources out there and everything is customizable. But if you're a book person, go pick up "Ubuntu Linux for Non-Geeks" by Rickford Grant. It has saved my backend more than once during a late night coding session.

Good luck and let me know if I can help out or if there's something you can't find and/or figure out!!

Sam

btw, Google Code (code.google.com) is where you'll find a lot of cutting edge apps that you won't find at Sourceforge. Lots of extra's and eye candy there.

Quote Originally Posted by samharrelson
    I definitely suggest looking for .deb files. Ubuntu unpacks those nice and neat for you (just search for whatever you're looking for with .deb in the goog... like "gtwitter .deb").
    Isn't Ubuntu amazing Deb? it's even personalized!

Except I can't find .scott files. Sam, what's up with that?

Is that to say there isn't a bumpZee desktop widget for ubuntu that comes in a .scott format?

I find that staggering to consider...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

http and a telephoto
    lolol, yeah, I was laughing with Auggie when we were installing it, I did a double take and said .deb?????

(it's for debian for those that are wondering...)

I just discovered the packages list, but lots are missing. Like LAMP. Is that on the server version CD? Headed over to find it.

I know the forums are great, but just like to hear from the experts that already went through the minefield of crappy stuff and found the gems they can recommend.

RTFM???? Me??? not likely, lol.

I can do command line, and have been unix servers forever, so am familiar and even literate to some extent Will go look at code.google
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I can do command line, and have been unix servers forever
    Stop it Deb, you're making me hot!

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    lolol, yeah, I was laughing with Auggie when we were installing it, I did a double take and said .deb?????

(it's for debian for those that are wondering...)

I just discovered the packages list, but lots are missing. Like LAMP. Is that on the server version CD? Headed over to find it.

I know the forums are great, but just like to hear from the experts that already went through the minefield of crappy stuff and found the gems they can recommend.

RTFM???? Me??? not likely, lol.

I can do command line, and have been unix servers forever, so am familiar and even literate to some extent Will go look at code.google
    20 dollars says you will spend more time fiddling with the OS then actually doing any work from now on.

When I tried to switch to Linux I tried unbuntu and I found my self trying to tweak this and tweak that and get this and that to work more than actually using the PC to be productive.

http and a telephoto
    lol... scott you are so bad.....

HardwareGeek, no I won't If I can't do what I want, I will use it as a terminal/network station and use it for the firefox 30 browser windows I keep open
    Deborah Carney

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Buncha geeks - geesh
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

http and a telephoto
    yup... i raise my hand and admit it... i'm a geek
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    20 dollars says you will spend more time fiddling with the OS then actually doing any work from now on.

When I tried to switch to Linux I tried unbuntu and I found my self trying to tweak this and tweak that and get this and that to work more than actually using the PC to be productive.
    I agree with HG on this one (believe it or not). Lots of talk about it and messing around but very little producivity. #1 productive machine for me is my primary Mac machine, and #2 is soon to be switched from XP to Vista (yea yea).

I have to move to Vista cause I need better use of the quad cores and more than 4GB of ram. That's my entire reason.

I love Kubuntu. Really glad to see Linux on the desktop making a strong showing.

even though I don't like it, I also agree with NG and HG.

I've tried several times to give various linuxes a try, including Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn, I think.)

Of course it works, but it's just not quite there. It's not only struggling with hardware configs and drivers, but its lots of little things. Death by a thousand cuts.

I do use a Ubuntu server for some of the backend BUMPzee scripts.

You want unix command line AND a great OS, get a Mac. I can't wait for Leopard.

Quote Originally Posted by sjangro
    even though I don't like it, I also agree with NG and HG.

I've tried several times to give various linuxes a try, including Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn, I think.)

Of course it works, but it's just not quite there. It's not only struggling with hardware configs and drivers, but its lots of little things. Death by a thousand cuts.

I do use a Ubuntu server for some of the backend BUMPzee scripts.

You want unix command line AND a great OS, get a Mac. I can't wait for Leopard.
    I agree. I am waiting for Leopard to buy some new Macs (I don't want to pay for an upgrade). I am hoping they introduce some new Macs at the same time, but that's wishful thinking.

I might be able to outgeek anybody here - 'cept maybe Snib.

I favor things that make me productive. Linux is not one of them. Looks pretty. Smells pretty. And just like Deb said she might end up having some use for it. It is always good to have a local machine for local php/mysql/apache work. However for day to day 8 hour productivity this is not the platform to use.

If money is not an option I highly recommend you get a Mac along with VMware Fusion. With that combination you can run any OS out there. So you no longer have to choose - just run them all. From any linux desktop/server distro to Windows 3.1, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows server 2003. There will not be a piece of software that you cannot run with this set up.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Affiliate Manager
    Loxly, congrats on the new system. I've been sing Ubuntu a lot lately working on the Linux version of WebMerge. Of all the Linux distros out there Ubuntu and Kubuntu are by far the most satisfying from and end-user perspective.

For the others here complaining about tweaking, sure, there are a few things with Ubuntu still which need a little geeky fiddling now and then. But with all the institutions and governments around the world standardizing on Linux, I'll predict that it'll eventually overtake Microsoft, perhaps within this decade. Look how far it's come in the last ten years.

As for productivity, every week I get several emails from customers who need replacement license keys for WebMerge after they had to reformat their drive either because the OS broke or they got too many viruses. How productive is reformatting?

Sure, no OS is virus-proof. But I have a long list of ways Microsoft has implemented Insecurity by Design throughout the OS (I love their latest Ask the Hacker "security" feature in Vista). There's something fundamentally wrong with Microsoft as a development organization. I like and use many of their products, but on balance I have to say they turn out a surprising amount of head-scratching weirdness when it comes to security and usability.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

http and a telephoto
    its going to be a surfing and development machine. It doesn't play my music files, lol. I might change it from the gui version to the command line version even.

It's a laptop with a broken screen and not a big hard drive, so blowing Vista off of it didn't break my heart. I wasn't looking for a new computer, just a new use for a GIMP one
    Deborah Carney

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread