Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Just got an email from Gator Corp saying they are interested me for a Senior Marketing Manager position! HA!

Not only am I not looking for a J.O.B. (My new Super Affiliate Recruiting program is proving to be quite successful, thank you very much!) but they have NO idea who they are trying to recruit. I'm about as anti-parasite as they come! But I am sure they are having a hard time finding honest, successful marketers that would work for them.

WHAT'S REALLY WEIRD is as soon as I opened the email in my excite account, my computer had a FATAL CRASH. I lost everything and had to totally restore my operating system and now am trying madly to reinstall all my software. Had to go out and spend $495 for a new copy of Office (my previous version was "borrowed" from a friend.) It will take me days to get everything set up the way it was. I know it's not Gator's fault I crashed (XP has been giving me fits) but the fact that I crashed while reading their email will always remind me how much I despise that company and their tactics.

So now I'm so frustrated, I'm going to drink a couple beers and then try playing the "Can You Pee Straight" game again (listed in previous post) to take my mind off things.

Linda Buquet
    Affiliate Program Optimization, Consulting & Recruiting
    www.catalystEmarketing.com

[This message was edited by AMconsulting on February 24, 2003 at 09:03 PM.]

Hello Linda,

Sorry to hear about your crash

I'm also very glad to read your stance in the Gator Corp. trying to recruit you to be their new senior marketing manager. They do seem to go thru employees over there, so that has to say something about their internal organization and employee longevity track record.

Good luck on getting back up to full operation.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Take the job and report back to us...It would be interesting to have an 'insider'.

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

Affiliate Manager
    Linda-
    Good choice on that job

Seems if they can't get the cream of the crop, they may die on the vine like it or not eventually...

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nice decision as Gator legal hassles are just starting since they have no business without using their tired "advertise on your competitor's sites" pitch. Finding senior management candidates would likey reap results on a prison parole release job board. Ken Lay or Bill Gross might be perfect candidates as they pass the ethics/morals tests.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Funny thing is, they didn't even find one of my old resumes.
    They saw an ad I placed for outsourced or contract affiliate management that included some of my background. So they must be having a really hard time finding people that will work there. They are digging in the boards trying to find people.

QUESTION? SURVEY?
    How do you think I should reply? (Not that I will take any of the wacky advice I'm sure I'll get from this question!)

1) Just say No Thanks?
    2) Give them a piece of my mind?
    3) Act like I'm interested, go through the steps, waste their time and then LAUGH?
    4) Other ideas?

Linda Buquet

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Eeks on that crash! Hope you've gotten back up to full speed. That is such a nightmare...

I would have to vote for #3. They sure as heck waste many other people's time trying to get gator's drive-bys off their computers. They've crashed my sister's computer more than once and she watches for them. Everytime it happens, parts of gator being on her computer is the only thing that is different.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    5) post about it in a public forum and ...

Don't you think there is a possibility they may read this? That might kind of interfere with anything besides #1 or #2 ...

how about get hired and sabotage operations

Glad to hear you are not interested in the position. Its good that not everyone will do anything for the right price. Bravo..

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

take the job and install a backdoor

Go for #3 and enlighten us all. Now a IP map to Gator's backdoor would be nice if you pass it on to Ad-Aware for uploading a popup for their Gator removal tool.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Affiliate Manager
    I'd just go the no thanks route myself.

Jessica Hutson

Jessica,

I was kidding, don't even plan to answer the email and I'm not the least bit vindictive. Just thought I'd get some fun answers to the question - survey.

FRIENDLY REMINDER: If you have not backed up today DO IT! We all know this, especially me. But I had not backed up for a week before the crash and lost a lot of work. Almost have my computer restored now, but it was a nightmare. (Don't let this happen to you - learn from my foolish mistake!)

Linda Buquet

Affiliate Manager
    I think I felt the need to answer after quieting my own idea of what might be a fun response

Jessica Hutson

Get the job, put a hidden code that will UNDO their pop-up and re-direction

Then quit without even documented what you change.

Regards,

=xo=

I believe it is always best to be forthright and honest. So, go for #2 "Give them a piece of my mind?"

Tear them a new one!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Yup,

When your entire business model is centered around dishonesty, you know you're employees are willing to be dishonest, and your employees know you're willing to be dishonest.

Not particularly condusive to a productive or pleasent working atmosphere!

Very similar to working for the Mafia or the Columbian drug cartel ...loose lips sinks ships ...so breaking code silence has penalties. Also requires the telemarketing expertise of a siding salesman and the LD crew. You need to brush up on the art of lying through your teeth while smiling on the phone.

Charlie ...

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread