Isn't this site breaking an awful lot of trademark rules by having all their store links have the store names in them?
    http://coupons-coupon-codes.com/

They do it for every store listed.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, but it's up to the merchant if they want to allow this. If the merchants don't like it, they can send them a cease and desist or deactivate them.

Shake your booty

If you haven't noticed, most merchants supply one or more text links with their name or trademark in the link or as the link. This is no different that a merchant list on a site, or a list of featured merchants.

Gene
    TCS

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1™:
    Yeah, but it's up to the merchant if they want to allow this. If the merchants don't like it, they can send them a cease and desist or deactivate them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Every merchant I use provides text links with the full name of the merchant in it as standard operating procedure, it doesn't seem to me that there is any issue with using the name of the merchant.

Connie,

A link is a URL. Perhaps you mean in the domain name. The URLs you listed are like sub-domains and there-in could be a problem.

Several of the examples are using names that could simply be considered common words: staples, cooking, buy, drugstore. If there are any concerns, it would be appropriate to get a ruling from the concerned merchant before using such links or URLs.

As long as one is not making a direct attempt to appear as the merchant, there is only marginal concern that something may be inherently wrong with this type of linking.

Gene
    TCS

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TCS:
    it would be appropriate to get a ruling from the concerned merchant before using such links or URLs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Ah I see what Connie means now, it'd probably be different for each merchant, one that that definitely wouldn't allow it is Amazon.

ABW Ambassador
    Those are sub domains.

I think in the URL is fine (after the / ) for most merchants..

In the (sub)domain name, I believe is frowned upon by many merchants...

I think they are being bad...

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

Here is what Best Buy says that you cannot do:
    • include "Best Buy" or any variations or misspellings thereof in the domain name or other HTML tags, including page titles, metatags, or HTML comment tags.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> include "Best Buy" or any variations or misspellings thereof in the domain name or other HTML tags, including page titles, metatags, or HTML comment tags.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Heh. Guess you can't have those words anywhere on the page since they'd be inside of html tags...

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Connie your correct. Some of your coupon pushing competitors are sleeze balls who will do anything to write their cookies and get undeserved SE listings. The least of their concerns is playing by the rules. Their stupid no value web sites are nothing but cookie setting traps feeding off the lame merchants who would allow this. Just the fact that every one of those trademark violations making shoppers think they are the merchant is a shell game. If the parasite ridden merchants in this group allow this then everyone should pull their non-performing programs for standard linking sites. They have AM's at their helm who are worthless for any real value added pre-sell affiliate. None on this list in 3 years have ever been a real performer and only use affiliates for cheap advertising. They and the "incent" parasite crowd deserve each other.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on February 23, 2003 at 10:24 PM.]

This is Off-Topic but a trademark question.

Lately I've been receiving emails from kids entering school comps and wanting to use images and copy from one of my sites.
    This type of thing:

Hello,My name is xxx and my partner name is xxxx. We go to Keefe Tech High School in Framingham Massachussetts.
    We are going to have a compatetion of webdesign and our topic are Fashion". And i would lke your permition to use some of your text and
    images. The actualy webpage will not go online it would online be presented
    on the competition. Please contact me back as soon as possible. Thank
    you.

I know, the kids should learn to spell before they get into webdesign
    The images I use are from various merchants,
    as an aff I have permission to use them, think I should ask the kids what pages they're looking at, then contact the particular merchants in question, or just tell them no.

I would like to help the kids, what do you think the merchants reaction would be?

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

I read that and thought it was odd. The spelling, if it is verbatim, is terrible, even for public school.

I would simply tell them that you are using them by permission also and you are unable to give them permission to use the images on their website.

steve

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread