breaking or pulling apart data feed
    Goal: to take just the products I want out of a data feed and create a new datafeed - not working... look at my attempt below and tell me if there is a better way to achieve this:

I've got the EverythingFurniture datafeed from Shareasale.

The first time I opened up the data feed text file (in excel) NOT as a pipe delimited file, and THEN I did a search to locate all baker's racks and pasted those lines, one by one as I found them, into a new excel file. Saved as a CSV (comma delimited file) ran it throught Affiliate Feed Generator (to kick out html pages) and the pages work.

Now I don't want to work so hard, so I opened up the original datafeed file and did a sort to find wine racks, but I opened it as a pipe delimited file so I could do the sort (and actually see catagories). Then I copy and paste just the wine rack products into a new excel file and try to run it through Affiliate Feed Generator, but cannot get it to work. It's not the Affiliate Feed
    Generator, its how I am handling the excel spreadsheets that is the problem.

I've lost the whole weekend on this project!

Renee

It would probally be best if you write a program to read the datafed file and the select what you want and write it to a new file.

Or you can add the datafeed files to a database and then add the database to you your site and dynamically search for each product on each page.

I am an amateur so I don't know the exact code. When ever I need to have something like this done I do a google search for a tutorial or code and then tweak it according to my own specs. But I will keep my eyes open to see if there is something that can help you.

Thanks for your reply - Thought it was simple matter of copy and paste to take what I wanted from the datafeed - don't see why not unless there is other data in there I am not aware of.

Programming is beyond me. I was tickled to death when I thought I got this to work with affiliate datafeed generator.

I will look further into your suggestions.

Thanks! Renee

Sweetiowa, what you're trying to do should work fine. Just make sure that when you save the new Excel file that you are saving it as text file with a .csv or .txt extension (whichever Affiliate Feed Generator requires), when Excel gives you a prompt that says "The file may contain features that are not compatible with tab delimited files. Do you to keep the workbook in this format?" say yes. Your file should be saved properly.

Good luck an welcome to ABW.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thanks, rematt - I am doing that - I must be doing something wrong. Does anybody have a step-by-step of cleaning a shareasale feed so I can compare notes? - Maybe I will post exact steps I am doing and someone can point my error out - Renee

What do you mean by the affiliate datafeed generator?
    Is that when the affiliate requests FTP privileges from the AM?
    Is that Web Merge? Or are you referring to the request for a .csv file?
    Last edited by Rhia7; October 7th, 2007 at 10:47 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I picked up a program at http://affiliatefeedgenerator.com/ that turns datafeeds into html to answer your question - sorry if that caused confusion.

If anyone is reading the following, it may not be correct! I am posting it so I can get some feedback as to what I do when I download a feed, and if I am doing anything wrong (see my initial posting above)

1. Download zipped csv file from Shareasale to folder (I am using the feed from Everything Furniture
    2. Unzip csv file to a folder
    3. From Excel program, select "OPEN"
    4. From next dialogue box, navigate to unzipped csv file; make sure “files of type> text files” is selected.
    5. Next screen, make sure “delimited” is checked, select NEXT
    6. On next screen, uncheck “tab” and select “other” and insert pipe character; in this situation I will select text qualifier as “none” proceed to NEXT screen
    7. On next screen leave “general” checked and select “FINISH”
    8. To locate the products I am interested in (wine racks) highlight all data and choose DATA>SORT>Column N (the column I am interested in sorting – I have not inserted any header row)
    9. Scroll down to locate the wine racks in column N. Highlight these rows; copy and paste into new spreadsheet
    10. At this time (or can be done on first file), I do an Edit>Find and enter the words, capitalized, YOURUSERID, to be replaced by my Shareasale affiliate number ID.
    11. Save this sheet as a CSV comma delimited file
    12. Use this file in your data feed generator

I posted these steps because the process is not working for me, thought someone could pick out my error - Many thanks! -Renee

Is your question really about how to handle a CSV file?
    You wrote:
    It's not the Affiliate Feed
    Generator, its how I am handling the excel spreadsheets that is the problem.
    I usually use Make-A-Page with SAS to extract product links but I might be interested in learning how to open, view and handle CSV files because that might be handy at a future date (especially since the Holiday Season will be coming up)...but if it gets too complicated for me I'll stick with Make-A-Page or some type of link/product creator offered by the company/AM.

These links look helpful:
    Allen Wyatt's Excel Tips (for CSV files)
    http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/resul...RID%3A11&hl=en

The International Monetary Fund's "How To Use CSV Files"
    http://www.imf.org/external/help/csv.htm

I didn't actually try any tips yet, but the links look like good sources for the information/advice. I'd be interested in seeing if I could create links from viewing and handling the CSV files in Excel. I'll try it some day as a possible project.
    Last edited by Rhia7; October 8th, 2007 at 12:10 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

hmmm - you've given me much to think about. Yes - you are probably right about csv... I did come across this link, http://www.monetisethis.net/2007/08/...own-large.html where it explains how to use a excel query to condense a feed, but I am still trying to get it to work for me. I will update my progress, hopefully this week -Thank you Rhia!~

Thanks, Renee, for the link to Monetise This -- it looks really interesting
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by sweetiowa
    I picked up a program at http://affiliatefeedgenerator.com/ that turns datafeeds into html to answer your question - sorry if that caused confusion.

If anyone is reading the following, it may not be correct! I am posting it so I can get some feedback as to what I do when I download a feed, and if I am doing anything wrong (see my initial posting above)

1. Download zipped csv file from Shareasale to folder (I am using the feed from Everything Furniture
    2. Unzip csv file to a folder
    3. From Excel program, select "OPEN"
    4. From next dialogue box, navigate to unzipped csv file; make sure “files of type> text files” is selected.
    5. Next screen, make sure “delimited” is checked, select NEXT
    6. On next screen, uncheck “tab” and select “other” and insert pipe character; in this situation I will select text qualifier as “none” proceed to NEXT screen
    7. On next screen leave “general” checked and select “FINISH”
    8. To locate the products I am interested in (wine racks) highlight all data and choose DATA>SORT>Column N (the column I am interested in sorting – I have not inserted any header row)
    9. Scroll down to locate the wine racks in column N. Highlight these rows; copy and paste into new spreadsheet
    10. At this time (or can be done on first file), I do an Edit>Find and enter the words, capitalized, YOURUSERID, to be replaced by my Shareasale affiliate number ID.
    11. Save this sheet as a CSV comma delimited file
    12. Use this file in your data feed generator

I posted these steps because the process is not working for me, thought someone could pick out my error - Many thanks! -Renee
    Look Renee,

You said "Now I don't want to work so hard", so why are you going tru hell just for 11 Wine Rack products?

I just did all your 12 lines example to see what I get, but....

You don't need all that 12 steps that way!

From 1. to 8. you can do it the same way, but you don't need to change the text qualifier as “none” ,just leave it as is ( " ).

Next,

On #9, you can still do the "Scroll down to locate the wine racks in column N. Highlight those rows; but don't copy and paste into not a new spreadsheet", just paste it into a new Crimson Editor Page and there it will show as a TAB “delimited” records. (because you just pasted from the Excel program)

So on #10, you can use that Crimson Editor, to do the actual search and replace, YOURUSERID with your Shareasale affiliate number ID#.

BTW, to me that is still a lot of work, specially for just 11 products, but since you asked about your error.....

I don't know about that affiliatefeedgenerator thing yet, but if I just wanted to get just that one category out of the datafeed, this is the way I will do it on my PHP script:

$result = mysql_query("select DISTINCT Custom2 from everythingfurniture WHERE Custom2 = 'Wine Rack' ORDER by Custom2 ASC") or die (mysql_error());

OR.........

$result = mysql_query("select DISTINCT Column_N from everythingfurniture WHERE Column_N = 'Wine Rack' ORDER by Column_N ASC") or die (mysql_error());
    Btw, I am not an PHP expert yet, but at least I get my scripts doing what I want so far.

Ah! Thank you for your insight. I will give that a try.

My pages are html so I assume I cannot run a php script on them or even how. I look forward to the challenge, though, of learning PHP - it seems like a must for my affiliate future.

Kind regards, Renee

As promised, I am back. It was a long journey, but here is the summary:
    I was very confused with csv files and text delimited files. I was using the program Affiliate Data Feed Generator to funnel my data feed files through and spit out html (they want the input files in csv format).

I gathared tidbits of information everywhere about how to clean or prepare a feed, which caused me to get hung up on the pipe delimited file. I see now where Mr. Sal was coming from using Crimson editor and saving in the usable text delimited format. I was having problems with the CSV files working in Affiliate Data Feed generator, but the text delimited form didn't work either in the ADFG program .

I took it a step further and downloaded webmerge, since there was much more support available, and was able to bring in a text delimited file with headers. The file I created only contained wine racks (note: did not select the pipe delimited file option when I brought the wine file into webmerge... DID set for pipe delimited file when first brought original feed into excel, prepared it, then saved it as a text delimited file).

Now you ask why I would go through the trouble of the wine racks having their own file? Because I don't know how to "pull" that data out of a datafeed! Thus, my original question. Being a newbie, probably did not use the right verbage to make my question clear.

I spent enough time with webmerge to see that I can probably create a conditional statement in a template that would only allow the wine racks to appear on a page (and not beds, lamps, clocks, etc). I'm heading over to that forum right now to troubleshoot my code that I think will make it happen...

-Renee

P.S. (Funny thing, I can do a find and replace in the original feed in Excel, but if I copy and paste a section of it in a new excel sheet, it cannot be done).

Wink
    Open it in notepad and do your find and replace there and then be sure to save the file before you close notepad.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I did manage to extract my data out of an excel spreadsheet via a query according to these directions:

http://www.monetisethis.net/2007/08...down-large.html

NOTE: I gave my feed headings and saved as a CSV file before following the instructions. Make SURE you locate the CSV file (NOT a TXT file) and when you run your query, remember it is CASE SENSITIVE... "Box" is not the same as "box"!!!!

Glad to contribute -Renee

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread