Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Just a Coincidence?
    For the last few days, I had been checking on domain names using godaddy. I went through quite a few combinations until I found one that I liked. I realizeit's my own fault for not registering it sooner. When I went to register the domain this morning, I found out it was taken. I checked whois and it was registered on on Oct 6, 2 days ago.

That happens to me a lot. Make a note to check it every week, might just be someone 'tasting' it for traffic and they will drop it if there is no direct type in traffic coming to it.
    Last edited by knight01; October 8th, 2007 at 02:00 PM. Reason: missed a y
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

http and a telephoto
    There are a couple of threads about that happening when you look at registering domains using the GoDaddy lookup tool. I never look up domains there, I use other places to check availability and just go there to actually register.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

It's a little depressing. It was a good name too.

Wait a few days. I remember reading somewhere that they can only hold the domain for 72 hours without purchasing it.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    It's happened to me while checking domain names on GoDaddy, too ... more than once.

Freaking sharks are everywhere
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I read something about some scraping sites picking up frequently searched domains through Godaddy, but I've never had it happen to me.

I guess the moral of the story is to always buy first, think later.
    [url=http://www.CloakLink.com]CloakLink - Mask your Affiliate Links[/url]
    [url=http://www.CouponPhonics.com]Coupon Phonics[/url] :)

I just tested this theory the other day. I searched for a domain on GoDaddy and waited a couple days to register it. It wasn't scooped up due to the search and it's a rather good name. Maybe you searched for it elsewhere? Or maybe you tried to visit the domain and your ISP or some parasite picked up on it through your computer. I really doubt GoDaddy had anything to do with it. If they actually did this it would have been all over the press ages ago.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Ugh. This has happened to me a million times. A domain will be available then I'll go to purchase it a few hours later and it is gone. Once or twice would seem like bad luck but 15-20 times seems a little unlikely. I purchase my domains through Yahoo, though- not Go Daddy. After having to go through and completely update sites and banners to adjust to the new site name I now purchase the domain before even making the website.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist but it is a little too coincidental in my humble opinion.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingfortips
    After having to go through and completely update sites and banners to adjust to the new site name I now purchase the domain before even making the website.
    I can't imagine ever even beginning to build a site without first registering the domain.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I just tested this theory the other day. I searched for a domain on GoDaddy and waited a couple days to register it. It wasn't scooped up due to the search and it's a rather good name. Maybe you searched for it elsewhere? Or maybe you tried to visit the domain and your ISP or some parasite picked up on it through your computer. I really doubt GoDaddy had anything to do with it. If they actually did this it would have been all over the press ages ago.

- Scott

I do ALL of my domain name searches at GoDaddy and have never had anyone to grab one of my search names.

Then again.....maybe my names are not considered marketable..
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

If you want to search for a domain name, open up a DOS box for windows. (Start, run, CMD) type:
    nslookup <domain-name>
    If it doesn't exist, it will tell you.

Those little one page sites to "Search for a domain name" take your searches and "taste" them to see if they get any type in traffic. If you want that domain, the last thing you should do is type it in. If they get hits, they will register to keep it.

Check back in 5-7 days from when it was registered, it may become available again. Then snag it, don't think about it, get it.

It may have been picked up by a kiter. http://www.bobparsons.com/MayKiting.html?serendipity[searchTerm]=kiting

If it has, it'll be hit/miss if you can get it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I can't imagine ever even beginning to build a site without first registering the domain.
    I was a dumb, dumb "n00b" at the time. Haven't made that mistake in years lol. I won't even search for domain names now unless I have my credit card in hand ready to buy.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack

Those little one page sites to "Search for a domain name" take your searches and "taste" them to see if they get any type in traffic. If you want that domain, the last thing you should do is type it in. If they get hits, they will register to keep it.

Check back in 5-7 days from when it was registered, it may become available again. Then snag it, don't think about it, get it.

It may have been picked up by a kiter. http://www.bobparsons.com/MayKiting.html?serendipity[searchTerm]=kiting

If it has, it'll be hit/miss if you can get it or not.
    In my humble opinion, this is a must read article for anyone who owns or plans to own web sites.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Good Stuff Mack, only problem is that it will only tell you if it is being used or not... I think many people are needing 'ideas' when they search for a name.

The one I'm looking for is usually already taken, but some of the suggested alternatives are acceptable.

If there is one I find I just buy it and then after thinking about a couple days decide if it goes to a parking page or will be developed... this way can get expensive but I lost a good name a couple years ago and I think that cost me more in the long run.

I use whois.sc for a lot of searches, anyone have feedback on them?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I just chose a pretty good alternative and registered it. It's all mine I tell you!

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread