Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have spent the better part of 2 days trying to get WebMerge to work correctly ... Maybe it's just me, but I just couldn't get it to work right ...

Then I stumbled upon the Sonicfactor RXO Database Website Generator ... It directly opens MS Access files and mass produces webpages based upon the database information ... You can make you own templates (has a very easy scripting reference) ... From the time I downloaded RXO until I had made my template, and had produced 1600 + product pages was less than 10 minutes ...

BTW ... Did I mention that Sonicfactor RXO is FREE ???

Check it out at this link:

Sonicfactor RXO Database Website Generator

Hope this helps some of you folks :-)

Does this mean you had to put a datafeed into an access database first?

If it does, Big Whoop. That's as simple as File -> Open.

Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

I'll have to try it. Loading access right now ( I never had a use for it before)

After seeing this post I played around with this software a bit. It does a nice quick job of outputting data to a page but is there anyway to control individual fields. Seems to me it just prints all the fields within a row without the ability to format an idividual field on that row, such as taking a URL field and making it a link.

etlt:

I used the scripting language to format my page template ... You can output the data in any format you wish ... All depends on how you want to format the template ...

I noticed that Sonicfactor doesn't have some of the configuration that is available in WebMerge ... But then again, I have always used MS products (Bill Gates IS GOD !), and Sonicfactor is the fastest thing I have ever came across in terms of database to web delivery ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by world2er:
    (Bill Gates IS GOD !)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    And what have we been smoking?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Witness:
    Does this mean you had to put a datafeed into an access database first?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, import the database into Access first...

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FFoc:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by world2er:

http://www.ford-fox.org<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO !!

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

ABW Ambassador
    I want more than what that program gives me. I think I'll write my own.

It is a shame that RXO is so limited. It could be very awesome. Just a few more variables...

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy - TigerDirect:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FFoc:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO !!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    See Andy, I want one of them Lindows laptops to play with

Actually, Andy, I had quite the laugh at reading about the Opera Bork! Edition...

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I want more than what that program gives me. I think I'll write my own. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>When you do perhaps you'll include a tutorial about how to use it too. All these programs assume everyone knows what they're talking about. IF I knew anything about datafeeds I'd probably be dangerous as I sill hardcode html in Webpad.............

Brian
    aka Cyclone

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room~!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyclone:
    I sill hardcode html in Webpad.............
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I hardcode in jed.

ABW Ambassador
    What's a "jed?
    Oh, never mind - I found it -&gt; http://space.mit.edu/~davis/jed/

Brian
    aka Cyclone

[This message was edited by Cyclone on February 25, 2003 at 09:54 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Actually, Andy, I had quite the laugh at reading about the Opera Bork! Edition... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I just downloaded Opera and it is WAY cool. If I remember right someone in a past post said that parasites can't divert commissions if you are using the opera browser. Don't know why... that is what they said.

BTW, MSN.com doesn't come up with the browser. Not like I'm missing anything.

Great Browser!!!

The software seems a little difficult to use. As far as I can tell there is no way to build directories. But, I did learn that building an Access database can be pretty easy.

I think it's because Opera only supports ECMAscript, not Jscript.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weisinator:
    I want more than what that program gives me. I think I'll write my own. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or maybe I could write it for you -- you can have what you need for $79 and I'll have a better feature set for WebMerge 3.0

Everything in the packaqe is from requests, and I add new features on an average of every two months. The v2.3 feature spec is not yet complete, and I'd like to deliver that by late March, so if there's anything you need....

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge 2.2: Publish any database on any site

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyclone:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I want more than what that program gives me. I think I'll write my own. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>When you do perhaps you'll include a tutorial about how to use it too. All these programs assume everyone knows what they're talking about. IF I knew anything about datafeeds I'd probably be dangerous as I sill hardcode html in Webpad.............
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most software documentation sucks, mine included. I've worked on a lot of documentation over the years, and docs consistently get prioritized below engineering. With the pressure to add new features, there's just not much left in the budget for making really excellent docs.

I'd be interesting in some of your experiences with bad documentation, and what would make it more useful....

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge 2.2: Publish any database on any site

[I'd be interesting in some of your experiences with bad documentation, and what would make it more useful....]

You had to ask

Screenshot docs,and a little happy face that pops up and says, "Hello, what would you like me to do"
    ...is that asking too much

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

Is Access the only dbase format supported? In that case I'm not sure I would bother with this program. I don't know how Access behaves today, but a couple of years ago Access could only handle one connection at the time.

The way it worked back then: If your site had many visitors you would most likely have multiple (simultaneous) database requests. Since Access could handle only 1 request at the time, all the other requests were queued.

Does anybody know how Access handles request today?

-- Less is more --

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'd be interesting in some of your experiences with bad documentation, and what would make it more useful....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How about simple information like what it's used for and how to use it. Duh~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cellophane:
    Is Access the only dbase format supported? In that case I'm not sure I would bother with this program. I don't know how Access behaves today, but a couple of years ago Access could only handle one connection at the time.

The way it worked back then: If your site had many visitors you would most likely have multiple (simultaneous) database requests. Since Access could handle only 1 request at the time, all the other requests were queued.

Does anybody know how Access handles request today?

-- _Less is more_ --<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DB connections are irrelevant. This program makes static HTML from an access database and you upload those docs.

You can make a program like this that wouldn't even need access, since you could use the "split" method built into VBScript and the FileSystemObject.

You use the "GetLine" method from the FSO and you "split" the line into an array and use that to make a new document. Simple.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast