Is this a new Google feature or am I the most unobservant person alive?
    Alright, I am familiar with the typical Google referral products and their software packages that typically pay $1-2 per download and Adsense and Adwords referrals but I just noticed a feature that is new to me.

A screen shot of a typical PPC Google ad hosted with Adsense that I know everyone here is familiar with:

Now here is a screen shot of something of which I was completely unaware:

Actual product referrals from non-Google related business?

Now here is a screen shot of the set up process with commissions that I am assuming the Adsense host receives if they opt for referral ads instead of PPC ads?

It seems like this is almost an affiliate commission. Instead of being paid for a click, the Adsense host is paid for actual sales/conversions/leads.

Is this new? Am I completely misunderstanding this? Is Google now basically having Adsense hosts become affiliates who receive actual flat rate commissions for various sales?

ABW Ambassador
    It's their little venture into CPA. There's some threads on it here, one of them:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ght=google+cpa

Dag nabbit! Thanks for the link. I swear I ran searches through ABW! LOL! I'm sure my trackmarks are still available in the list of recent site searches. Thanks for the link. I will read the post now. :-)

This thread can also be deleted if it needs to. I swear I ran searches and looked through the Google AND and PPC forum and didn't see Mark's post. I AM the most unobservant person in the world!

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not sure how new it is. I see it available in my Adsense account, not sure how long it's been there.

I updated my last comment because I didn't see the link to Mark's post in your previous comment. Going on 3-4 hours of sleep is really frying my brain. Thanks again.

Looking back at the dates of some pages I updated to include this, I first noticed this just a few days before Aug 7th. The first I seen it anyway.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    This is the adsense referral 2.0 ... It has been around for a while, but there aren't enough products available to make it very targeted to your site.

Quote Originally Posted by markschok
    Looking back at the dates of some pages I updated to include this, I first noticed this just a few days before Aug 7th. The first I seen it anyway.
    Judging by Mark's post that Trust posted a link to, it seems it was launched around May 2007. But I'm still just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    This is the adsense referral 2.0 ... It has been around for a while, but there aren't enough products available to make it very targeted to your site.
    Personally, classic PPC Adsense seems to be the better option for publishers while this new feature seems better merchants.

Until we know how long the cookie tracking lasts, it is actually not all that great for affiliates and publishers. It seems that if the customer doesn't buy right away, you get no commission. Not like the typical 30-90 day cookies that the networks offer.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Pay-Per-Action (PPA) Beta was launched in March 2007 in the US.

Expanded to many (if not all eligible) advertisers in June 2007.

AdWords advertsiers have to setup their desired PPA actions (within their AdWords accounts) and it only available to those merchants who implement Google Conversion Tracking and have several hundred tracked transactions each month.

It also takes time for advertisers to recognize the opportunity is there and then to setup (or confirm) conversion tracking and then to enter their PPA details / bids.

So the list that you see within the PPA section of your AdSense account (AdSense Setup|Referrals) will continue to grow as time passes.

The PPA values (aka "commission amounts", so to speak) vary wildly - there's good stuff to be found in there, as well as junk. But you do have a great deal of control over selection and an ever growing number of choices available as an AdSense user.

If you have real traffic and match it with a focused PPA opportunity, it's another legitimate option for you to test out for monetization optimization.

Keep in mind that G is watching ALL of the numbers behind your AdSense Ad Block and they are contantly working, algorithmically, to optimise your income (and simultaneously yours). The more PPA's you toss into a given space on your site, the more choices you give G to rotate them and deliver you maximum income.

And G doesn't force it on you - you can let them work on maximizing your income -or- you can choose to pick your specific ads yourself:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In your Ad Shopping Cart you also have the option to pick the highest-performing ads. If you select Pick best-performing ads, we may show ads that you haven't explicitly selected. Based on contextual targeting, your other ad targeting selections, and other network performance statistics, our system will display ads that Google believes will monetize better on your site. We recommend that all publishers select this option to maximize revenue potential. However, if you're certain that you only want to show the specific ads that you've chosen, uncheck this box.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a PPC consultant, I can tell you that many advertisers have long ago turned away from the content network (lowering your AdSense revenue), because it's filled with click fraudsters and poor-converting traffic. PPA is emerging as a method for advertisers to re-enter the content network and avoid the crapola that's been its bane.

If you have good traffic that converts, you'd be well served to give it a try and test it out. Some of the PPA bids are outrageous, which I attribute to those advertisers being very uncertain of what amount to pay in this new model -and- their rejuvenated interest in actually paying for performance only in the content network. So I'd say view this as the content network reborn, for now.

Time will tell whether this also turns out the be another unruly red-headed step-child content network quagmire from hell, or the favored youngest child of the prodigal G daddy.

For advertisers running ads through AdWords, here's the PPA (aka "Referrals") section of the AdWords Help Center:
    http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...py?topic=11635

For webmasters placing Ad Blocks on their sites through AdSense, here's the PPA (aka "Referrals") section of the AdSense Help Center:
    https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo....py?topic=1449

(ps-my family's full of red heads and step branches, so relax and bask in your own bad self's specialness)

Quote Originally Posted by lookingfortips
    Until we know how long the cookie tracking lasts, it is actually not all that great for affiliates and publishers. It seems that if the customer doesn't buy right away, you get no commission. Not like the typical 30-90 day cookies that the networks offer.
    Referrals first started as a way for Google to sell it's products through the AdSense network. So, for instance, you could promote the G toolbar and G would pay you per download.

Then, G allowed advertisers to also add their products and services into the "Referrals" stuff.

So within the PPA / Referrals choices, there are the Google products (like their toolbar) and non-Google products (ones that many merchants are listing on a CPA / PPA basis).

For the non-Google PPA Referrals, the duration is 30 days.
    https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...y?answer=25889

For the Google stuff, it varies.

They don't say explicitly, but I think there's more than just cookie tracking here... keeping in mind that many people use registered products like gmail, the G toolbar, etc where the user is logged into a platform... so more advanced / concrete tracking can occur... so the question isn't as simple as "cookie duration", it's "referral period"...

For me, the $64,000 question isn't the cookie duration... it's wondering what ways will soon emerge for cheaters to commit PPA fraud... if the same gaming enters the PPA space, as it has for the Cost-Per-Click space, then nothing meaningful will have changed in the content network.

Forced clicks via malware can still occur, and since a click initiates tracking in all scenarios, it's my opinion that a PPA environment isn't immune to fraud, contrary to all the hoo-rah being poo-poo'd about right now.

I'm quite sure that the gangs of industrious cheaters are already firing up zango / malware and trying to force clicks on PPA bids via AdSense blocks on weirdo sites, triggering false PPA conversions... in fact, the obvious truth is that PPA is a much higher margin per event to target as a cheater compared to cents per click of CPC... so question is, will G police PPA or allow it to slip into the muck with its sibling...

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    For the non-Google PPA Referrals, the duration is 30 days.
    https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...y?answer=25889
    Thanks for the info and link! I'm still a little wary so before revamping my Adsense from PPC to PPA it is probably best to wait and see what happens.

waiting is generally a good idea, i concur.

you can also have it mix things and test them for you. suggest you take a closer look before you dismiss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    suggest you take a closer look before you dismiss it.
    I wouldn't mind trying it but am waiting for more merchants in my niche. There are currently only two so I am SOL for now! lol

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread