Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    The lively discussion here has inspired me to set up an affiliate program for my database publishing product, WebMerge.

Since you folks have far mre experience with affiliate programs than I do, I could use your guidance on two issues:

- What would you consider an attractive commission?

- What payout period would you prefer? Of course it would save me time to do them quarterly, but is that too infrequent for you?

Thanks in advance for any input you have. I've really enjoyed learning from you folks here.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge 2.2: Publish any database on any site

ABW Ambassador
    Need your help

I paid up for webmerge, used the registeration key to unlock it and was happily using it for a week.

Initially, everything was generated properly.

Now, the same index template, instead of linking to the detail template in the [WM-RECORD] field, links to the directory.

I reinstalled web merge and cannot unlock it anymore. The registration key I was sent does not work anymore

Help.. I published my site without realising the error and now I can't even use webmerge to fix those pages. > 100 of the pages are affected.

Please help

Affiliate Manager
    womanht -
    Richard isn't in here as often as some of us- but he answers his email often within minutes- that is probably the best way to get ahold of him.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

Richard,

10% commission straight or 8% straight and 2% for two tier
    Monthly payments
    $25 minimum
    45 day cookie

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by womanht:
    Need your help

I paid up for webmerge, used the registeration key to unlock it and was happily using it for a week.

Initially, everything was generated properly.

Now, the same index template, instead of linking to the detail template in the [WM-RECORD] field, links to the directory.

I reinstalled web merge and cannot unlock it anymore. The registration key I was sent does not work anymore

Help.. I published my site without realising the error and now I can't even use webmerge to fix those pages. &gt; 100 of the pages are affected.

Please help<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just replied to your email, but for the sake of other readers here I'll recap:

Your registration code seems to work here, so please re-enter it carefully and you should be fine. You can copy it from the email to ensure that it's typed correctly, as WebMerge will let you paste into that field.

As for the links, all of the WM-Field tags in your template had included the optional nolink attribute -- just emove that and they should automatically link for you.

As Jessica mentioned, as much as I love this forum and try to drop in here daily, the fastest way to reach me for support issues and feature requests is via email.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Richard,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As Jessica mentioned, as much as I love this forum and try to drop in here daily, the fastest way to reach me for support issues and feature requests is via email.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not open a support forum on Abestweb?

</font></p>

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    Richard,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As Jessica mentioned, as much as I love this forum and try to drop in here daily, the fastest way to reach me for support issues and feature requests is via email.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not open a support forum on Abestweb?

&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana"&gt;Haiko_

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli_&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/p&gt;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard,

Highly recommended !!

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

Second my vote for a forum! It's the best move you can make.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Akiva - EssentialApparel.com:
    Second my vote for a forum! It's the best move you can make.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay - I'm sold. Where should I put it, and what should we title it?

--
    Richard Gaskin

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry about the earlier post. I expected an automated email response from the email that gave me the reg code, so tried to get hold of Richard at this forum.

Thanks for your very fast response.

I was hoping for a higher commission at your program, like 15% commission with 45 return days AND parasite free.

By the way, Webmerge is a great product and I love it. Can't imagine going back to the old way of handcoding individual pages now that I used it.

Look forward to your forum as I have a million and one questions to ask about webmerge.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by womanht:
    Sorry about the earlier post. I expected an automated email response from the email that gave me the reg code, so tried to get hold of Richard at this forum.

Thanks for your very fast response.

I was hoping for a higher commission at your program, like 15% commission with 45 return days AND parasite free.

By the way, Webmerge is a great product and I love it. Can't imagine going back to the old way of handcoding individual pages now that I used it.

Look forward to your forum as I have a million and one questions to ask about webmerge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You drive a hard bargain -- maybe meet halfway with a flat $10 from every $79 sale?

Forgive my ignorance as I get up to speed with this affiliate thing, but what are "return days"?

And what is it to be "parasite free"? I can assureyou WebMerge has no lice, ticks, or worms.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Hello Richard Gaskin,

Welcome to the ABW forum board. I also highly recommend you to open a forum here. This forum is an absolutely invaluable and positive way to promote and interact with many services that will actually use and promote your service and aid you in branding awareness of your product line.

Also: Return days are the number of days the viewer has to return to purchase the product and the original referrer gets the commission credit. Parasites, well .. there's a forum section here on the main board that will totally explain that avenue without having to get into long specifics here.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

[This message was edited by DesignerWiz.com Team on February 22, 2003 at 12:50 AM.]

[This message was edited by DesignerWiz.com Team on February 22, 2003 at 12:51 AM.]

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    &gt;~ hard bargain ~ $10 from every $79 sale?

Which would be about 13%, why don't you set that which then takes care of in price increases in the future.

&gt;~but what are "return days"?

Not everyone is going to buy on the spot, so allowance has to be made for people to make up their minds before buying. Therefor, merchants set cookies including affiliate information so when the purchase is finally made the affiliate gets their share. Good merchants set long cookie times, or return days which make for good relations with affiliates - hint hint.

In the case of software, you have to look at whethere there is a demo period and any delay that may happen in someone trying the software. For example, I have downloaded Webmerge but as yet have not installed it, simply too busy, but it is on my list of things to do. So if the cookie time is set too short, then affiliates miss out on their referral fees. I always suggest that return days be at least 3 times the demo period.

However, in this case, where your demo is not time limited, there is even less incentive for the shpooer to try the software straight away and there may be long delays in decisions being made. Therefor I think you need to set return days rather long. Most people here are suggesting 45 days, I think 90-180 days, or even more, would be much more betterer. Some merchants who work closely with affiliates set their cookies at 365 days which certainly gets the attention and loyalty of affiliates.

&gt;~what is it to be "parasite free"?

see http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm...79&f=591608789

&gt;I can assure you WebMerge has no lice, ticks, or worms.

Well that sets my mind at ease

I will be putting my hand up for this one by the way.

Woz

I am totally groggy .. well past my bedtime .. lol

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Woz:
    Not everyone is going to buy on the spot, so allowance has to be made for people to make up their minds before buying. Therefor, merchants set cookies including affiliate information so when the purchase is finally made the affiliate gets their share. Good merchants set long cookie times, or return days which make for good relations with affiliates - hint hint.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that's a greatidea, and reallythe only fair way to track sales on a product like this. Unfortunately I'm havving trouble determining where in Miva Merchant I can set the duration of this cookie, if their affiliate module even supports that. Anyone here know? I've posted a query in a Miva support forum, but have not yet had a reply.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    &gt;~what is it to be "parasite free"?

see http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm...79&f=591608789
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. Call me naive, but some of the lowdown dirty tricks described there are so blatantly unethical that I'm surprised such companies can lure anyone into doing business with them.

I may make mistakes, but when I do it's more a matter of incompetence than malice. If you ever see me do anything that isn't reflective of a sense of fairness for both customers and affiliates alike, please shoot me and put me out of my misery.

--
    Richard Gaskin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wow. Call me naive, but some of the lowdown dirty tricks described there are so blatantly unethical that I'm surprised such companies can lure anyone into doing business with them. I may make mistakes, but when I do it's more a matter of incompetence than malice. If you ever see me do anything that isn't reflective of a sense of fairness for both customers and affiliates alike, please shoot me and put me out of my misery. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has nothing to do with you or your scripts ... it has to do with merchants you may deal with, and how they allow their business to be operated on the affiliate level. Word to the wise .. keep an eye on the Parasiteware forum.

</font></p>

OK I don't think I understand about Webmerge. PSanf and I are thinking about buying some program to work with data feeds.

If we buy Webmerge will we both be able to use it? How many sites can we use it on? In other words, do we need a new copy every time we buy a domain and set up a new site? How many advertisers can we use? Will it work to help us set up Tiger and then can we turn around and use it to set up Mondara? Can we both use it even though we are working off different computers? How flexable are the templates? Can we design our own from scratch? How does it update the sites when advertisers change their products? Can I use more than one merchant on a site? If I want to put up merchandise from Old Glory, Azuregreen, and Body Jewelry can that be done (If they all had data feeds, that is)?

Looks like there are only 4 or 5 merchants that you can get data feeds from, now but in the furure there may be hundreds. I don't want to have to buy it every time I want to try a new merchant or buy a new domain.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

[This message was edited by SSanf on February 23, 2003 at 07:54 AM.]

[This message was edited by SSanf on February 23, 2003 at 07:57 AM.]

With these data feeds, do I need a shopping cart or something or does it look like it is on my page but go to the merchant's site?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

SSanf

The data feed creates pages which link to the merchant site - you don't need your own shopping cart. It just enables you to generate static pages very conveniently from a text file (ie, comma separated values, where you have a list of records (products) with each field (price, description etc) separated by a comma, which can be fed into Webmerge's template) rather than having to manually create all the links. Much quicker.
    To a visitor, there's no difference whether your links are created manually or automatically from a datafeed.
    I don't have webmerge, or work with datafeeds (yet) but I'm sure you can create your own templates or customize the provided ones.

Well, do they link to the product "buy" page?

Not sure, it probably depends on the datafeed provided. Other people will be able to provide a better answer.

Well, been reading Leader's posts so I am certainly going to try it. (Actually that is where PSanf will have to jump in! LOL) But, where are we going to get all these data feeds from? Other than CJ and the ones mentioned here? This sounds like it can get expensive real fast. Are there very many resources? Still need answers to the above questions about how many merchants, sites etc.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Lotsa questions but I'll hit some of them.

You don't have to buy a new copy of WM for every site, merchant, or site update! It's one license per user.

The resulting site looks like whatever you set it up to look like. It won't make a designer of you--but if you are a good designer already, it won't interfere with that either!

I don't use the templates. In fact, I haven't ever looked at the Detail Page template. But if it's like the index page template, you'll want to make your own!

All the data feeds I get have product links, that go to the specific description page of the product in question (except for one idiot place). Without software I'd never look twice at all those product links, either!

If you have a merchant with lots of OOS stuff in their feed, you have two choices. 1) Grit your teeth and bear it, or 2) Don't run that merchant's feed! Looking through thousands of links to check them all really isn't a viable option... but a spot check will usually show the general quality (or lack thereof) of a particular merchant's feed.

There is one thing--make sure the PID in the BuyURL goes to the site you're using the feed on! CJ sets it up with the PID for the first site you registered there. This causes hokey stats (like sales credited to sites you don't have the products on) if you forget to change it to the site you're actually using the feed on! (The BUYURL in the CJ feed will be easy to spot--it's the tracking link.) But if you use it on the site it's already set up for, no problem--just run it. Changes are easy--find and replace with whatever program you usually use for that kind of thing (provided the file isn't too big for the program to handle. If it is, there are other options for changing it.)

OPENING the datafeed can be problematic if there's a lot of records (products) in it!! (A lot = about 16,000--a tiny part of my CJ Feed but many more than most individual merchants have.) Smaller ones can be opened with a spreadsheet, but it can take database software to handle big ones like the CJ Feed.

There's variances between independents and the CJ Feed. And the CJFeed has an "impressionURL" to track the imps. The ones that I have that come directly from merchants, do NOT have this. Not having it will cause hokey impression stats and inflate the apparent success of the pages without it. So be sure to compensate for this fact when figuring the success of your pages that don't have it.

WebMerge can handle some file sizes that other programs can't open (I'm not sure of the exact limit)--but sometimes the feeds are kind of screwy and you have to mess with them to make them work. That's when you need some way to get at the data yourself.

At CJ, they send me every merchant I'm signed up with that's got product links. Independents have to be contacted individually. It can take a while to get a feed out of them. And they don't "advertise" that they have feeds.

Amazon's only got XML from what I understand. WebMerge doesn't handle that yet.

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Double check with Fourth World, but I believe that SSanf and PSanf will each have to buy a separate copy of the software. As Leader said, separate licenses for each user or each computer it is used on.

Gene
    TCS

Can somebody please post the complete CJ Merchant List providing datafeed ... thanks

"The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their Dreams."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast