Linking to "Red" McAfee SiteAdvisor Sites
    Note sure if anyone know much about McAfee SiteAdvisor, however I have found a couple of site I link to as now being marked "Red" by Macfee.

Site 1: Feedback from credible users suggests that this site sends either high volume or 'spammy' e-mails.

Site 2: When we tested this site we found links to directtrack . com, which our analysis found to be suspicious.

So my question is could I get a bad McAfee SiteAdvisor rating by linking to them??

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I've started seeing some sites I link to show up red on Site advisor and have been removing them. I especially don't want to send my visitors to a site that spams or downloads malware. Not sure about the implications of linking to them but they don't deserve a link IMO if they're committing nefarious practices.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

kse,

I'm not an expert but I believe the system is directly related to a guilt by association type ranking color coding system, so yes you could. As Rexanne says, it's best to keep your nose clean and your visitors happy by not linking to the red sites. If the red label is unfounded it's easy enough for the company to contact Mcafee to clear their name and get a green rating.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Yes, I currently drop links that have a warning about "Pop Ups" & "Spyware" etc, But I am wondering if I will effected if the site I point to is good but they inturn point to a bad site. Or they send a large amout of emails. They sites in question are good sites in my option.

Thank Haiko, maybe in one case I will contact the site so they can look into it.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I use SiteAdvisor at office and home, especially when evaluating affiliate applications. If I see that they have associations with download sites I usually decline them. I have seen read warnings for 1-2 emails a week.

If you feel that they have unfairly penalized a site you can sign-up as a reviewer and send a comment. Or, you can ask for a review.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    kse,

If the red label is unfounded it's easy enough for the company to contact Mcafee to clear their name and get a green rating.
    It took a total of three weeks on one site.

It is not quick nor easy , they have no direct contacts.

After they agreed it was an error on their part it took them 12 days to update to green.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    If you feel that they have unfairly penalized a site you can sign-up as a reviewer and send a comment. Or, you can ask for a review.
    That don't get it changed.

You purchase support, they give you an email contact that never responds, then they give you another email .....just a mery go round.

My staff called corporate HQ, and finially got to someone, then waited almost two weeks to get green.

Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Thanks everyone I contacted Mcafee via their forum and they said that it was possible that if I keep linking to them my site could get a negative rating.

Now I have a second related question, I signed up with bidz . com via Linkshare a week or so ago, they also are maked RED by McAfee:

"Feedback from credible users suggests that this site sends either high volume or 'spammy' e-mails."

Should I not list them on my sites as well??

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread