What Web Authoring/Development Software do you use?
    I'm currently using Microsoft's FrontPage software to build my website, CouponQueen.biz, and only recently realized that there are issues with viewing my website with browsers other than Internet Explorer. Yikes! Apparently if you're using IE the site looks "right/normal" but if you view it in other browers it's messed up.

So I'm trying to find another website building software that's not crazy expensive but which also has lots of bells and whistles and which enables the more popular browers, at least (if not all), to fully access my site.

I rec'd a couple of suggestions on a different forum for free software (not crazy about that idea) but also for one called AceHTML 6 Pro. I liked the look of the websites the lady had created with it. Anyone else use this software?

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions!

Krista
    Last edited by MichaelColey; October 9th, 2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Removed Manual Signature

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I don't use MS FP becuase it puts in a lot of extra crap that is not needed and makes it very hard to read.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I use Wordpress, Joomla, Dreamweaver, photoshop
    I use Wordpress (CMS-blog), Joomla (CMS), Dreamweaver (HTML editor) ... and I'm testing out some data feed scripts I found online to see if they'll work for me or not.
    I also use some other apps for special services on my web sites.

What I use
    I use dreamweaver for html, codecharge studio for php/mysql and wordpress for a few things. Most of the commercially available scripts for datafeeds suck. I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't allow you to change the source code to add or alter features. If you do your just setup for extortion by the software company when you need to change something like the display or even worse the server where it is hosted.
    If you use codecharge you have a basic store already setup then you can change anything you want. Its about the same price as dreamweaver but can do much more.
    I use the script from this forum for the shareasale feeds to populate mysql. Has anyone put out a new version for the new fields added from shareasale? Or should I just alter the old one? I don't see why cj, linkshare, ect just don't put out scripts like that to populate databases from their feeds. Its only helping their merchants sell more and making them more money. Thats why we are all here right, unless someone reallllyyy likes debugging code.

dreamweaver for sure for the beigniner however php sites on the whole rank better than aspx (or fp) because of the extra code that is put in

What? Where in the world did you hear that ? That sounds highly like
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I don't let any piece of software write my code for me. Then again, I get paid to write code and am not ready to admit that I'm that dispensable.

I've heard Dreamweaver has made great strides, but again, I don't use it. Notepadd++ is a quality open source editor, and Zend Studio is one of the best IDE's I've worked with. But these two programs are for writing code, not having an application write code for you.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

I use Dreamweaver extensively. Love it. Learning something new every day.

Geno

I should also clarify the difference between some things...

** All of these are text editors

** MS Front page services best as an HTML Editor

** Dreamweaver was designed to work on HTML and code (PHP)

** Notepad will work on any of them just fine. No bells and whistles

** Notepad++ will also work on any of them just find with some bells and whistles. Personally I am a big fan of color coding/highlighting which Notepad++ and Dreamweaver both do.

MS FP and Dreamweaver and very good for working on HTML because you can easily preview the HTML in the same program while you are editing it. I believe there are options of saving pages in FP so you don't get the extra
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    What? Where in the world did you hear that ? That sounds highly like

Asp.net puts alot of javascript on the page which confuses the se bots. My php sites out rank my asp.net sites 4-1

I recently found PSPad and love the ability to use it for quick edits "on the fly" on my servers. I know relatively little HTML and/or PHP, but I am learning. PSPad is free and very useful for coding -- uh, what little coding I'm learning to do, anyway.

Oh, did I mention -- it's free. Worth easily 10 times the price.
    Generate more fake news.

I'm using Notepad++ for html/php and VertrigoServ.

I use FrontPage to develop HTML ideas (which table goes where...) and NotePad2 to finish tweaking the HTML and to develop the php stuff.

Wink
    I use FP to do it all.

When I want to see what the layout and html stuff shows on a php page in FP I just change the page extention from php to htm and work on the page.

When I get done I change it from htm back to php and then load to the server.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

You work too hard BurgerBoy!

VertrigoServ - I had not heard of this one before - good call .

If anybody is interested this is one of many packages out there that installs the "AMP" (Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack for your all at once. Personally I use XAMPP - but either one will suffice.

These types of packages are agod send. I can tell you from personal experience manually downloading all three products separately and configuring them to work together can be a PITA.
    ---
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601

VertrigoServ - I had not heard of this one before - good call .

XAMPP
    Thanks for the useful information
    Both XAMPP and VertrigoServ are available for a free download on download.com
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread