Fending off a Shark Attack
    Marine biology researchers have developed a new method to fend off shark attacks. If you are diving and are approached by a shark they recommend that you swim towards it aggressively and punch it in the nose as hard as possible.

If this doesn't work, beat the shark with your stump.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Next time I fall into the ocean and see a shark, I will be sure to remember this advice and act accordingly..... LOLOL!

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Marine biology researchers have developed a new method to fend off shark attacks. If you are diving and are approached by a shark they recommend that you swim towards it aggressively and punch it in the nose as hard as possible. If this doesn't work, beat the shark with your stump.
    A strategy that works well, or so I am told. Tried it myself a few years back as a great white charged me. I turned, swam toward him head on and at the last moment thrust a mighty jab toward his nose. Unfortunately, his timing at opening his mouth was impeccable.

Stump Hamilton
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I find that pushing the nearest person to you between you and the shark works better.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I'll have to re-think my shark attack plan of sending "loving energy" to beasty if I ever come face to face with one.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Diving with sharks...
    While in Australia a few years back, I had the chance to do a night dive on the reef. Before we went in, many of us noted a number of reasonably large sharks circling the boat. Of course they were (mostly) harmless reef sharks, but it was still a little unsettling, so we asked what we should do we were attacked. The guides told us the following:

"So, of course if you down there, you're there with your buddy (first rule of diving), so if you two notice a shark circling around you, that's not a good sign. Follow the shark with your flashlight, keeping the beam directly on it.

Now, if the shark suddenly turns toward you, that's also a bad sign, but keep your flashlight directly on the shark as it comes towards you.

At this point, the shark may speed up, as it comes towards you. That's even worse, but keep your flashlight pointed directly at the shark, right in it's eyes, as it comes at you.

Now, when the shark is just five feet away...

shine your flashlight on your buddy.

Enjoy your dive!"

-------

It was an amazing experience! Came out with all my limbs intact though! My buddy though... well... better not talk about that.

Cheers,
    Patrick Armstrong
    Online Marketing Manager, ethicalDeal.com
    patrick@ethicaldeal.com

Remind me never to be your buddy!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Which reminds me of the punchline to my favorite joke.

"I'm not trying to outrun the bear. I'm trying to outrun YOU!!!"

Bear attacks...
    Which reminds me of the punchline to my favorite joke.

"I'm not trying to outrun the bear. I'm trying to outrun YOU!!!"
    On that note, here's a great bear warning sign that I've seen floating around the internet.

http://www.b3tards.com/u/2f388f8779e023ab553f/bear.jpg

Cheers,
    Patrick Armstrong
    Online Marketing Manager, ethicalDeal.com
    patrick@ethicaldeal.com

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Marine biology researchers have developed a new method to fend off shark attacks. If you are diving and are approached by a shark they recommend that you swim towards it aggressively and punch it in the nose as hard as possible.

If this doesn't work, beat the shark with your stump.
    They actually tested this on Mythbusters and found that it doesn't really help to punch the sharks. They created a shark punching machine and put it on the sea floor with bait and a bunch of sharks. Seemed they had the same results punching or not. They even used real people to test this and it didn't seem to have much effect. What I have heard is you gotta poke them in the eye or grab their gills. I've seen shows where that actually saved lives.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    They actually tested this on Mythbusters and found that it doesn't really help to punch the sharks. They created a shark punching machine and put it on the sea floor with bait and a bunch of sharks. Seemed they had the same results punching or not. They even used real people to test this and it didn't seem to have much effect. What I have heard is you gotta poke them in the eye or grab their gills. I've seen shows where that actually saved lives.

- Scott
    It just goes to show you, there are some things that AREN'T better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    It just goes to show you, there are some things that AREN'T better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
    Heh, guess so

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I won't be diving or hiking with anybody on ABW.
    So much for the buddy system...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    I won't be diving or hiking with anybody on ABW.
    So much for the buddy system...

LOL
    Cheers,

Harry.
    Mondera Affiliate Manager
    http://www.mondera.com/affiliate_support/
    Winner of the LinkShare 2004 Golden Link Awards "Affiliate's Choice Award"
    Winner of the 2002 Abestweb.com "Best Affiliate Program Award"

My wife and I were slamming beers in a New Zealand pub with a few fisherman. Anyway, They were telling us about diving for lobster and dealing with sharks... I was totally into the story, not realizing that he was telling the same joke and I played right into it... "What do you do when the sharks get too close?" I asked... To which he replied, "That's when you stick your mate and swim like hell!"

I still get a chuckle when I think about that night. Great accents, nice people, good beer, etc.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I saw something strange on the television a few days ago,
    Some people get more attacked because they have a different smell of the body.
    Like some sufers get attacked more than once because they urinate in they're swimmingsuit..
    It was verry strange but it was on national geopgraphic

Quote Originally Posted by derrekmay
    Like some sufers get attacked more than once because they urinate in they're swimmingsuit..
    Hmmm, I would imagine that would happen a lot when they see a shark.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread