Does Zappos do anything special for big affiliates?
    I know that some advertisers give exclusive coupons or special "private" commission rates to top affiliates -- does Zappos do anything like that? Or beyond any financial rewards/assistance, does the Zappos AM even reach out to higher-earning affiliates? How much business would you have to send them to get noticed? I launched a program with them last month and am tracking really well for October, but I have no idea how much revenue someone would have to generate for them to be considered a "large" affiliate. Maybe what I consider a lot of sales is nothing to them. Anyone?

I think you need to get in contact with the Zappos AM.. with these same questions. And if they do answer you, please let us all know what they said.

Good Luck! That is, good luck on getting any response from them at all.
    The best things in life are not things at all...

You will be lucky to get a reply even.

I was once a really large affiliate for Zappos, in fact CJ told me I was Top 5 among all the different zappos affiliates. After talking with Zappos about this very issue (6 months ago) they told me they they'll never raise the percentage however they stated that they would possibly lower the bonus standards to make them more obtainable. Just so you know the 10k bonus that zappos has if you make over 1,000,000 is sales has only been reach a couple of times and I'm sure the affiliate didn't care because that was 120k in commission. Unfortunately for me, Zappos has changed there PPC policy around so much and has CJ's Network Policy on everyone heels for every possible flaw that I gave up on them and are working with other affiliates. I was really displeased with how they did treat there top affiliates, I've gotten much better treatment from other merchants.

I know you may be tracking well in October, but just be aware that the return rate is about 30-40%. I'm not sure how your converting your sales, but if your doing any type of PPC marketing this becomes a huge issue. Hope this helps

Well said.... and very true. The whack in commissions has caused me to rebuild my PPC from the 20k or so keywords down to only a handful of very targeted keywords. I understand business moves to a degree, but I too have been very unhappy with the changes and the lack of communication. Retail is more complex than what appears on the surface. Whether it be brick and mortar or internet, decisions are made without history to back them. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. When I look at their 90 day EPC, I wonder. EPC's have many variables to consider, but from a surface standpoint, their 90 day EPC stinks. Maybe once the sales from the parasites start to kick in, it will increase.
    The best things in life are not things at all...

I've done pretty well with Zappos too in the past. I was never treated any different when I was flying high to when I was starting off - the same level of indifference applied!

They've never been very good at communication, there used to be an AM called Jack, who did get things done, though didn't waste words in emails. Since he left it's almost been communications silence, though I keep selling stuff and still keep getting paid.

If you're looking for a commission raise the chances are negligable. Bonuses are nice, but don't seem that large compared to the commish you get for reaching the target in the first place as has been mentioned.

I would think for Zappos you'd probably have to get 100K in sales that stick to start to be somewhere near the top and I think everyone gets the same payout percentage. If you are spending serious money to promote them, definitely keep in mind that 32% to 45% of what shows up in CJ will probably get reversed due to returns. You can lose your shirt and then some if you don't plan for that.

Most merchants are willing to do special things for their top affiliates. Usually you have to ask. If you don't ask, most merchants won't do anything special no matter how much you're doing for them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

For Zappos, rebate sites seem to be giving back 6% and I think they typically pay out 1/2 of what the merchant pays. They also tend to be some of the largest affiliates so unless they are getting bigger bonuses, it doesn't seem like there are any special deals out there for Zappos affiliates.

Great point, Superstar, and good tip for determining which merchants have room to raise their commissions. I've checked cash back amounts on merchants before to get an idea of their top commission levels.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread